Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > "1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes
Reload this Page >

Bonanza pics, finally

Community
Search
Notices
"1/2 A" & "1/8 A" airplanes These are the small ones...more popular now than ever.

Bonanza pics, finally

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2003, 09:37 PM
beenie
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bonanza pics, finally

After a long wait, my Electron 6 rx arrived. I had been flying the little plane with a Feather and thought that if I continued I might be pushing my luck. The Feather never gave me any trouble, and worked to around 1000' without any interference problems, but 3 flights like that was enough. If I crashed that little plane because of interference with that Rx I think that I would take a long break from the hobby.
At any rate, with the new dual conversion Rx it is flying again. The Electron is great and very small. Here are a few inflight pics. I have since pulled the gear off and will post more pics later.\
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	68640_16591.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	41703  
Old 04-06-2003, 09:38 PM
beenie

comming in on final

Name:	68641_16591.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	41704  
Old 04-06-2003, 09:39 PM
beenie

almost looks real, except for the little wire, which is pretty long.

Name:	68642_16591.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	41705  
Old 04-06-2003, 11:26 PM
Bipe Flyer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If it wasn't for the antenna, I'd think you were just posting pictures of a full scale and passing them off as a model. It looks very realistic.:thumbup:

How about some pictures on the ground so we can get a closer look at this beauty?

It's the HOB isn't it? The Bonanza plans are on the back of the plan sheet which came with my HOB Chipmunk. Maybe I should build one.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:35 PM
Lynn S

Nice pics!
My best friend has owned a real Bonanza with a conventional tail for 20 yrs. His partner is a doctor who landed the plane with the gear up a few weeks ago. No major damage, just the prop, but will cost almost as much to repair as they paid for the plane.
Good thing they decided not to drop their insurance.
Old 04-07-2003, 01:57 AM
LoneRanger
My Feedback: (1)

very cool, I am still plugging away with mine, it's complex for this small an aircraft, but fun, fun, fun!

need one more retract servo, and throttle, and steering!

ouch, 3 more servo's!

L.R.
Old 04-07-2003, 04:38 AM
beenie

I have flown the full size V35 a few times and need 10 more hours of instruction in it to be covered by the insurance. Then I hope my boss makes me fly it often (poor me). It is a great flying plane and one of my favorites. Landing gear up sucks, and for a low wing, it really tears up a lot. I havn't done it and try very hard to never do so.

Bipe Flyer, this is the HOB model, and the plans for your chipmonk were on the back of my Bonanza plans. I thought about making it and trimming it like Art Scholl's. The Chipmonk and the Bonanza and the Mustang are all the same plane with different wingtips, tail shapes and canopies.
Lone Ranger, your plane is so complex because of all of the stuff you are putting in it It will be well worth it the first time you suck those wheels up.
I am very happy with the appearence, the only real departure is that the nose is too long, but this is for balance. It would be pretty tail heavy with a scale nose length. I decided to omit the antennas, they would have gotten broken off before I even finished the thing. For a plane this size, the scale effect is outstanding.

You can find the origional post along with some more pics at http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...ht=hob+bonanza

The pic is not the plane I fly, but you can see that the nose is shorter. That sure is a good looking plane. I smile everytime I open the hanger and see it..

Name:	68782_16591.jpg
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	41706  
Old 04-07-2003, 05:27 AM
Bipe Flyer

Man, it must be great to fly such a nice plane. I don't blame you for smiling every time you open the hangar.

I've only ever flown a plane once, but it was the thrill of a lifetime. The pilot, George Kirbyson, let me fly it a bit then did some loops, snaps, stall turns, cuban eights, knife edge flight and even a spin. I managed not to loose my lunch and enjoyed every second of it.

I'm the guy in the front seat.

Name:	68784_18289.jpg
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	41707  
Old 04-07-2003, 02:03 PM
beenie

I have flown the Pitts on my one and only aerobatic flight. Sounded similar to your flight, but the emphasis was on spin training. After several spins, it was time for some real fun. My pilot usually did Pitts checkouts and not competition, so we only did a few loops, rolls, knife-edge, and a hammerhead. I didn't have the courage for an invered spin or a reverse cuban though.
Glad you enjoyed your flight and was able to keep you lunch. If I fly for the rest of my life, I will never forge my ride in a Pitts.
I guy in my area just bought an Extra, may have to harass him for a ride.
Old 04-08-2003, 03:10 PM
jugger18
My Feedback: (1)

I built the HOB mustang and i believe it had the me-109 plans on the back...they looked almost identical to the mustang
Old 04-09-2003, 12:46 AM
beenie

I pulled the gear off of the plane because the grass is not cut very regularly here at school. I had never hand launched this plane before and just ran the motor up and ave it a toss. Big mistake. This plane needs a hefty throw. It went in and cartwheeled. Damage was minimal, but it was too windy later in the day to try again. How hard can I throw this thing and not have the engine cut out? I have been warned that these little engines can go lean and quit on a launch. I am running muffler pressure.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:17 AM
Lynn S

Just run like heck and throw it level. Kinda like a javelin throw.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:23 AM
Bipe Flyer

Most ½A just need a soft throw slightly nose high. A couple of mine need a little more airspeed so I take 3 steps before launching it. A click or two of up trim is a good idea too. I have a switch programmed on some planes which trims the elevator for hand launching.

The engine can quit if you throw too hard, but I've only had it happen when the engine was a little lean also.

If you haven't hand launched before, get someone else to launch it the first couple of times so you can get a feel for how the plane handles.
Old 07-27-2003, 05:16 AM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ROG's are Safer

Some folks launch HOB 1/2 planes using bungee cords or catapults but this is iffy. It takes practice to forcefully heave a model in a level or slight nose high attitude, usually the model can take the cartwheeling very well. The best thing is to find a flying site with a paved strip and do rise off ground (ROG) takeoffs. Lightly loaded slow flying electric parkflyers with undercambered airfoils do pretty well with hand launches, the HOB series, glow or electric powered, need to be launched at flying speed or they tip-stall and fall out of the air.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:59 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Beenie
I sized one of you pictures to Avatar size, I think it looks pretty good.
Attached Images  
Old 08-02-2003, 02:41 PM
beenie

Thanks Soarrich,
That does look cool. What I might do is scan the picture with a higher resolution and use that. Unfortunatly, the little .061 doesn't like hauling the Bonanza around in our 90 something degree heat, so it has been retied along with my Lite Machine until cooler temps come in the fall.