Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

SkyMaster MB339 Build Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

SkyMaster MB339 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:56 AM
Helirupert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SkyMaster MB339 Build Thread

ORIGINAL: wojtek

The wing fences do come with the kit. They usually come wrapped up in foil. 2 big ones, and 4 of the smaller ones. They should match your paint scheme pattern where they are to be mounted. You will need to glue these on yourself. It can be a pain, so you will need to tape the area off, and make a nice filet with the glue ..

~V~
Wojtek: Thanks!
I will check the packaging material again, it can be stuck there...

Yes, i found them! Thanks again.

Best regards,
Robert

Old 06-01-2012, 12:11 AM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Just acquired one of these second hand. Anyone had problems with oil leaking from the struts? Is there a known issue? I need to do some testing over the weekend to find out specifically where its coming from. I'm guessing regular hydraulic fluid is a good replacement.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:49 AM
InboundLZ
My Feedback: (10)

Man do I miss mine! [&o]
Old 06-29-2012, 09:56 AM
bruno borges

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

This is my pilot for my SM - MB-339 Fricce Tricolori.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53622.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	1776856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qh65489.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	1776857  
Old 06-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Helirupert

Bruno, gorgeous! How did you do to get the pilot clothing and helmet detailing so nice?? Which scale is the pilot (1:4 or 1:5)? How long is the pilot in cm?
Old 06-30-2012, 01:14 PM
bruno borges

hello this pilot and I ordered the Blue Angels paint the helmet with the model of the Frecce Tricolori.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:21 AM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Looking forward to flying my newly acquired MB339 next weekend. Had to have it after seeing the scheme. I like the traditional Tricolore scheme but I think this scheme is awesome. Programmed my new DX18 for it this morning and did retract, brake and engine testing. Love the sound of the P160SX. Surprisingly quiet.

Name:	Tr51758.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	1777415  
Old 07-30-2012, 01:48 AM
savasn

got me a secod hand MB, refiited everything internaly with Kingtech 16 etc and test flew it on saturday.
WOW, what a gracious a/c, sits well and very neat. had to add more weight upfront for second flight, which was better.
Battled to slow her down thouigh for landing, not enough Flap throw , 25mm, so i need to go up to say 40mm deflection.
Can you guys please give me some pointers on slowing her down for landing. i did a clean stall configuration test, and she can be slowed down a lot without dropping a wing, so im wodering if im coming in too fast to start off with.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:23 AM
richbran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

25mm flap is indeed a more lift producing as a drag increasing setting.

Combine the enlarged flapsetting with a few mm UP ailerons (crow brake). Don't overdo the aileron UP value as it greatly diminishes roll control. Find by testflying the elevator correction for this setting so You don't need to correct on final Yrself.

Activate the belly speedbrake, not too much of a work, the extra speedbrake panel is normally a part of the kit, maybe the previous owner still has it lying around. Or it might be ordered with Skymaster.

Indeed, testfly slower approach speeds, a system like the Eagle Tree which gives airspeed values can be of great help learning to fly slower. GPS speeds can only be used at wind-less days, as GPS gives groundspeed that varies with windspeed. As soon as You have been accustomed to the angle of the fuselage on final that gives a safe final speed, You can forget about telemetry.

Good Luck,
Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 AM
savasn

hi Richard, thanks for quick reply, much appreciated.
It makes perfect sense, that 25mm flap, would be more lift enhancing than drag , so hopefully more flap, will slow her down.
the belly speed brake is there and actually connected, BUT did not apply as dont know what to expect from that deploy, Up pitch or DOWNpitch, what did you experience?

I still think that this SM model can sloooowww down much more, as wing profile works for design.
Can you also tell me, what was your length of Oleo damping, only with the oil in oleos, somewhere i read, 10mm ?

How is your model flying
Old 07-30-2012, 03:36 AM
Gonzalo38

Take a look at http://www.skymasterjet.com/arf339.htm for more information on this model.

You can go up to 40 mm with your flaps.

The typical static ride height for main gear is about 16mm from filling valve center to seal and 14 mm for nose gear from M3 bolt center of fork to seal.

I have my belly speed brake working and it does helps to slow down the plane, but as you have mentioned before, the key is to not approach at a high speed to start with. In mine, typically when I'm turning to base, my turbine is already in idle. This jet keeps so much energy that I find that most time I don't need my turbine keeping power during the approach.

Try you speed brake while flying high and with flaps to see what kind of reaction you get in your plane.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:49 AM
richbran

Currently I am not at home (holidays) and I cannot recall what the pitch Up or Down I felt when giving speedbrake. If there was any, it was little pitch effect. As always, try these first at altitude.
Due to several circumstances I did not fly the MB a lot, neither recently (over a Year now).
I am planning to redo the innards of the MB first this winter before reflying it. Not that there are problems, but when I built my last jet (Pirotti Tuono) it was the first time I really spent enough time getting all electrics and pneumatics NEATLY inside. Now looking at my MB I feel more ore less embarrassed when looking inside.
I have a building report on my Tuono http://www.flytobiggs.com/index.php?...gen&Itemid=137
Sorry, only in Dutch, but lots of piccies.
Now with a lot more experience with all systems I have a better idea of how and where installing components, plus I might opt again for mechanical air valves, in hindsight (and my new Tuono has them also) I prefer the mechanical valves like the ones from UP over the electric ones.

I see, I have the mains on 14mm with oil, then 10 bar. The nose is difficult, my settings were too high, one friend of mine uses lower pressures, as the MB needs to sit nose low.

Of course You are familiar with higher true air speeds due to the elevation at Jo'burg....

Old 07-30-2012, 11:15 AM
InboundLZ

Be careful when using lots of flap throw, if you get to a point where the flap leading edge wiper disengages from the trailing edge of the wing it could get bound up and stall the movement of the flap...ask me how I know...
Old 07-30-2012, 11:59 AM
Gonzalo38

ORIGINAL: InboundLZ

Be careful when using lots of flap throw, if you get to a point where the flap leading edge wiper disengages from the trailing edge of the wing it could get bound up and stall the movement of the flap...ask me how I know...

Very good point..... one thing is what the manual says and other thing is what mechanically you can do. I always try to set up to factory expects but then I check that everything works with no problems.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:08 PM
InboundLZ

I have sold my 339 (HUGE MISTAKE) but I know the guy who has it now, he cut the flaps loose and re-hinged them in a more traditional way. Now, there is no way they can get hung up. He was flying her at Speed World last year and I was totally amazed on how slow he could get her on approach. Flaps and Crow and it work like a charm!

Did I mention how much I miss mine????[&o][&o][&o]
Old 07-30-2012, 10:42 PM
savasn

hey Dave, i have only had 2 flights , and i can see how you could miss the MB, it really looks and feels solid. i even had a flameout on 2nd flight (air in lines/old hopper), and dead stick on runway was no issue.
last nite, i managed to slice away Trailing edge of wing, and now flaps have a clean 40mm throw, thks for advice, checked that flap wont get stuck too.
my MB, is the one on Anton's site,, the model that our SAteam member "Morne" flew at Worlds 2007............now its mine
Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 AM
MNModels

Savas,

Glad all went well. Really nice flying model....

Regards

Morne
Old 08-02-2012, 02:15 AM
savasn

Hi Morne, thks
a good flying model it is certainly, tks for speedy post

regards

Old 10-06-2012, 03:07 PM
bruno borges

My MB-339 Frecce tricolori!!!

Name:	Fd91393.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1808449  
Old 10-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Gonzalo38

Bruno:

Congratulations.... beautiful plane. Were did you get the details like antenas an pitot tubes ?
Old 10-06-2012, 03:36 PM
bruno borges

Hello Gonzalo,

The Antennas e Pitots, Im buy in the Details4Scale.

Bruno
Old 12-01-2012, 02:53 AM
Helirupert

Hello guys,

I have the Skymaster MB339 2.4m kit. The servo rods. the servo arm and the aileron and flap horns are supposed to be in line with each other, and in line with the aircraft longitudinal line. This is the case with the flaps servo boxes with covers/hatches, but the aileron boxes are really out of line/skewed (same problem on both wings). The wing trailing edge and hinge lines are exactly square to the aircraft longitudinal line. I have seen these skewed aileron servo boxes on several other Skymaster kits, e.g. Hawk. It looks like this offset design has a purpose, but I have no clue which (and it looks ugly).

Has anybody an explanation?

Best regards,

Robert

Name:	Vt58629.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1825464  
Old 12-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Helirupert

Nobody here who has a clue?          []

Best regards,

Robert
Old 12-03-2012, 05:36 PM
furloughed ual
My Feedback: (31)

Robert, there is usually enough material on the SkyMaster servo mounts to grind away some of the mounting tab and get the servo in there square. Square up the servo and get the linkages 90* like they should be. Dont know why SMaster does this.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:44 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Robert,

this is a design flaw .... they lined the servo pockets up with the LE, and not the TE ... If you have pre-drilled pylon mount holes, check those too if they are lined up with wing root, or LE .

I was able to mount my servos up at an angle and trimmed the servo pocket covers to match ...

~V~

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.