Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

dx7 + ar7000 lock out?

Old 01-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Yaniel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dx7 + ar7000 lock out?

I was flying today at the field we fly at every weekend, never had a problem there before. Flying a pulse xt 40 with an ar7000/dx7, i had one strong glitch/lock out, and another lock out. first time i'm flying back towards myself, and the plane rolls over on its back with 0 input from me, about half a second later i was able to roll it back over (the throttle dropped when it rolled over too as if it went to the fail safe setting). second time, i'm turning around to come back towards myself again, the plane locks me out for about a second or a second and a half before the turn was completed. both times it recovered before any damage, and both times the throttle dropped.

only thing different today is that a crew from motorola was there today installing antenna's in a field near where i had the glitch. its my understanding that spektrums shouldnt be bother by things like that though. since its near a university i think they may be wifi antenna's.

any ideas if the antennas could have caused the glitch?

receiver pack was fully charged, i wasnt being aggressive on the servos to cause a voltage drop ( one time it was during level flight), i continued to fly but away from the field with the antennas for the remainder of the day on that same pack without a hiccup.

Old 01-09-2008, 12:11 PM
ALemons

Default RE: dx7 + ar7000 lock out?

Way back when the DX6 came out I quickly bought one for my T-Rex heli. At work (Internet access provider) we have a tower in our parking lot that has 3 FHSS 2.4ghz wireless radios and some other 5.xghz stuff. I set up my Trex with the Dx6 at home and had flown it quite a few times with no issues whatsoever. I took it to work one day and couldn't believe the problems I started having. I could turn on the radio and everything initially would work, but then I started getting locked out and glitches. I could turn everything back off and then back on and it would work again. Turn it off and back on and it may start glitching again. Took the Trex and radio back home and not a single problem. Brought it back later than evening and the lock ups and glitches started happening again.

I figured out that when I turned on my Trex and Radio they were doing their thing and picking clear frequencies to use BUT a few seconds later one or more of my frequency hopping wireless radios up on the tower were hopping onto the same channel as my Dx6 radio...hence causing the glitch/lock up.

Same for you. The crew installing the antenna may have turned on a new radio system AFTER you had turned on your DX7. By chance, they were using the same frequency that your Dx7 had initially thought was clear. Once this happens your are destined to have interference. The FCC states that all license-free 2.4ghz stuff may not cause harmful interference, and also must accept any interference received, including interference that may cause undesired operation.

Just my thoughts
Old 01-10-2008, 09:23 PM
Yaniel

Default RE: dx7 + ar7000 lock out?

i was afraid of that. i've been flying at that field for over a year and never a single glitch. that day they start putting up antennas and twice in one day. I mentioned it to another person that was there and they went into a speech about "600 people at one event flying 2.4 and not a single glitch and it must be a low voltage problem or pilot error" i tried to explain to him that it had a fresh charged receiver pack, first light on the volt watch on. zero wind and the plane rolls on its back from level flight, second time in a slow turn the plane stops responding so basically little or no servo load to drop the voltage to a dangerous state. i hope he heeds my warning and doesnt lose a plane to arrogance.