Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

King Cat and Futaba FASST

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

King Cat and Futaba FASST

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:48 AM
DKflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King Cat and Futaba FASST

I have been using my FASST system in smaller planes and helis, and it seems to work great.

However, I have been reluctant to put it in my King Cat because of the large fuel cells and the turbine possibly blocking the signal. That makes the JR system seem more attractive to me because I can use multiple antennae in different locations so that they all can't be blocked (although I like the FASST frequency hopping system and the Futaba transmitter better).

Also, I'm a little concerned about the low signal voltage issue with the 6014 reciever. I'm not sure which servos are affected. I'm running the JR digital and analogue servos recommended in the manual.

Is anyone out there using the FASST system in a King Cat like this?? Should I go with JR for the multiple antennae or is this a non-issue? Also, anyone having problems using JR servos with the lower signal voltage of the 6014?

Thanks,

DK
Old 05-31-2008, 12:42 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: King Cat and Futaba FASST

Not a Kingcat but I am using FASST in a Bobcat. Only 6 flights so far but no issues at all and I have flown it pretty high.

I am using the 8 channel RX so can't answer your question about the voltage level.
Old 05-31-2008, 01:30 PM
GrayUK

No reason why you should not put FASST in a King Cat.

Fuel does not seem to be an issue, multiple rx's are not needed with FASST.
See testing thread [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6188151/tm.htm]here[/link]

Paul
Old 05-31-2008, 02:11 PM
Ehab
My Feedback: (44)

We have flown the Reaction ARF with the 6014 and with jr servos with no problems at all. The range was so good we gave up after a few hundred feet. We went as high as we can go with no problems. We flew another Reqaction ARF with the JR 10X 2.4 at the same time, no problems with range with either setups (I had initial severe binding problems with the spektrum/10X) . I am liking the Futaba system better even thu I had flown the 10x on 72 mhz for years and now 2.4. I am not brand loyal, I am loyal to my US $$$$ and my jets[8D]

Just put the Rx in the nose under the canopy area and you should be all set....

Edited for clarity...
Old 05-31-2008, 03:08 PM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

DK,

If you look around, you will find it somewhat difficult to find anyone who has had significant problems with the FASST system and those of us using it extensively have found it to be basically a "set and forget" system with incredible range. Compare that to the many threads (one just opened now) on problems with the Spektrum system. I was flying with a friend with a Spektrum system last weekend and he had a failsafe event on the 9100 in his Bobcat which resulted in a deadstick landing and damage to the aircraft. The system range checked fine before the flight, but after, the system wouldn't respond at all. He talked to a JR rep. and was told that he needed to re-bind the system, which he did and it worked OK. The question is, why did it need, all of a sudden, to be re-bound in order to work? Spooky...

I'm not a rep. for either system, I use what works best for the $'s, and FASST is clearly vastly superior to Spektrum. As Paul has said, imagine if FASST, with its rock-solid link using only one receiver, had come out first, and Spektrum, with its multiple receivers, picky installation requirements, and data logger (fade counter) came out second. I think we would look at that system very differently than we do now - i.e., we wouldn't be skeptical that FASST can do it with one RX, we'd be asking "why does Spektrum need 3 RX's to do what FASST can do with one?"

Bob
Old 05-31-2008, 05:20 PM
c/f
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I too am using Spektrum and FASST in lesser value models to determine for myself which is better before it ever goes in a $$$ model. I on occassion hate the fact that Spektrum has boot up initialize inconsistancies, and the company stand is to re-bind. WHY???? The FASST is 100% predictable perfect on initializing to a model. @ SEFF with over 300 2.4 TX onsite, the FASST took a few seconds longer at times but thats it, MY Spektrum had many variuos conditions on initialize in that enviroment.
Old 05-31-2008, 06:26 PM
pfact
My Feedback: (92)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have a 6014 receiver in a bobcat with all JR servos - so far it has been absolutely perfect and it has eliminated our fears about being shot down at our home field. We also have them in several of our 40% and 50% gassers. One of the planes has a Powerbox Royal and 2 6014s - the link is so good that the powerbox doesn't even switch between receivers.

This is an amazing step forward in technology.

Phil
Old 06-01-2008, 10:21 AM
ravill
My Feedback: (11)

Received 90 Likes on 72 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ehab

We have flown the Reaction ARF with the 6014 and with jr servos with no problems at all. The range was so good we gave up after a few hundred feet. We went as high as we can go with no problems. We flew another Reqaction ARF with the JR 10X 2.4 at the same time, no problems with range with either setups (I had initial severe binding problems with the spektrum/10X) . I am liking the Futaba system better even thu I had flown the 10x on 72 mhz for years and now 2.4. I am not brand loyal, I am loyal to my US $$$$ and my jets[8D]

Just put the Rx in the nose under the canopy area and you should be all set....

Edited for clarity...
You have a jet??? Bring it to the field, so we can see it. Oh, and he was asking about a "man's" jet sonny

Raffy
Old 06-02-2008, 07:17 AM
rolsen12

I have a 14 in two jets (a FLASH @ ELAN).
No problems at all.
Great range and I now use Futaba Brushless servos.
Get rid of that OLD stuff.
Use a redundant power system of some kind, it's up to you.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:52 AM
DKflyer
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for the replys! Looks like it should be no problem to stick with the Futaba system. I have both the FASST system and the JR X9303. Both have been flawless so far, but I just prefer the Futaba transmitters and I do think that the freqency hopping system is better than two fixed channels. I'm sure either would be fine, just depends on which TX you like better. Spektrum/JR are very innovative with some of their new products (heli receivers, powerbox type receivers, etc). I hope Futaba keeps up.

You have a jet??? Bring it to the field, so we can see it. Oh, and he was asking about a "man's" jet sonny

I have one of those "girly" reaction jets also. Great flying jet!
Old 06-02-2008, 12:52 PM
samo

I got the 12FG and the TM-14 Module. The 6014 has been rock solid in my Bandit ARF, PST F-84G with flite metal, and my F-16. Great technology!