Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

futaba 9c conversion to 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 06:44 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default futaba 9c conversion to 2.4

Would like to hear what 9c owners are using for conversion to 2.4. Likes, dislikes, problems, thoughts/ opinions. Such a nice radio, shame to not convert.
Old 06-04-2008, 07:32 AM
tande
My Feedback: (48)

Default RE: futaba 9c conversion to 2.4

Well........I'm using the "XPS" system in my 9c-I have a dozen planes on this system, from .90 pattern to 34% gas-Over a year now, hundreds of flights-Love it!-FWIW
Old 06-04-2008, 09:01 AM
Foamaholic
My Feedback: (1)

Me too, the 9C with XPS. Love it and no problems.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:05 AM
pilotpete2

I have the Futaba TM-8 module in my 9C, very pleased
Pete
Old 06-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TM-8 module, plug and play, no issues at all.
Old 06-04-2008, 01:41 PM
bigdarylg

spektrum module here also no problems
Old 06-04-2008, 01:45 PM
tahustvedt

TM-8 module. Works great!
Old 06-04-2008, 05:17 PM
JimBot

Spektrum 8 channel module here and very pleased with the selection and price range of Spektrum receivers.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:15 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the TM 7 in mine and it works great
Old 06-04-2008, 06:16 PM
bps

Sounds like it is difficult to make a bad choice. I am leaning toward the Spectrum (JR) conversion. I have a DX7. Thanks for all the responses.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:16 AM
Pete_K

I physically hacked both the TM-7 module and the 9C case, thereby invalidating the guarantee. Well worth it though, because I much prefer to see the 2.4GHz antenna sticking out the top of the Tx - as opposed to it hanging off the rear. A new antenna with a longer coax had to be purchased since the coax on the stock ant. wasn't long enough. I fabricted a cover plate from a CD case which sits at the rear of the Tx where the module normally resides and made a couple cut-outs for access to the range switch and LEDs. Sprayed black the new cover plate blends well and doesn't look too sickly on the eye, but it's main purpose is to protect the module pcb from the elements.

Incidentally, did you know that the TM-7 and TM-8 modules are one and the same? There is a slide switch on the module pcb right next to the General/France switch. Sliding the switch down turns the TM-7 into a TM-8.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10744.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	964008   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36968.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	964009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80786.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	964010   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jd87451.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	964011  
Old 06-05-2008, 02:46 AM
ss40

XPS since last Fall with Hitec and now replaced the Hitec Eclipses with a 9C and still great performance!
Old 06-06-2008, 05:38 PM
mnrcaerobat
My Feedback: (197)

Are the XPS modules compatible with any other receivers or only their own?
Old 06-06-2008, 06:10 PM
Foamaholic

Only their own.
Old 06-07-2008, 06:57 AM
ljones5000
My Feedback: (2)

I use the TM-7 in my 9C for almost a year now and I love it.

The module is designed so that the antenna will not touch any part of the transmitter (the chrome "handle"), and when the transmitter is laid on it's back, on the ground, the antenna will not touch the ground or the surface where it is laid. This eliminates the need for all the reconstruction to make the antenna come out the top.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:13 AM
pilotpete2

Hi Larry,
I love my TM-8 for the same reason, the "foot" that the antenna is mounted on holds the Tx at a bit higher angle when laid on its back, great for bench work, it's like there's no antenna at all[8D]
With 2.4Ghz, the last thing you want to do is have the antenna pointed at the model, I fly with the antenna turned over horizontal across the back of the Tx, that way the model is never in the "cone of silence" off the antenna tip.
Now when will Futaba wake up and make the new parkflier receiver in a standard servo connector model[>:]
Cheers,
Pete
Old 06-08-2008, 06:26 AM
bps

Thanks for all the great information. Pete K I like what you have done to integrate the 2.4 module into the transmitter. I would hate to give up my pcm receivers though.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Pete_K

I would hate to give up my pcm receivers though.
Good point. But in my case it was not an issue. I only had to replace one PCM receiver anyway, and I can never envision going back to anything other than 2.4GHz, so hacking the radio wasn't too spooky to comtemplate.
It is more a personal thing. Guess I'm just used to seeing the antenna sprouting from the top. Besides, it fits in the fieldbox this way.
Like I say, I shan't be using this radio on other frequencies, so the plug-&-play module system was not needed.
I like the fact I can still get in there should I need to adjust stick tensions or somesuch. I can still pull off the back without having to disconnect any wires.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:57 AM
bps

ORIGINAL: Pete_K

I would hate to give up my pcm receivers though.
Good point. But in my case it was not an issue. I only had to replace one PCM receiver anyway, and I can never envision going back to anything other than 2.4GHz, so hacking the radio wasn't too spooky to comtemplate.
It is more a personal thing. Guess I'm just used to seeing the antenna sprouting from the top. Besides, it fits in the fieldbox this way.
Like I say, I shan't be using this radio on other frequencies, so the plug-&-play module system was not needed.
I like the fact I can still get in there should I need to adjust stick tensions or somesuch. I can still pull off the back without having to disconnect any wires.
Pete, please do not think I was being critical. You did a very neat job and I like your conversion. Guess I was just thinking out loud from my perspective about the PCM's I have in my planes. However I spoke with a flying buddy this past week about a large scale he lost using PCM. No one else flying, it just rolled over and did it's own swan dive into balsa dust! This was a very experienced flier and was using tested equipment with an installation that was used on all of his large scale planes. Very disturbing. Has me thinking about just moving over to all 2.4!
Old 06-09-2008, 07:47 AM
tahustvedt

ORIGINAL: bps

Pete, please do not think I was being critical. You did a very neat job and I like your conversion. Guess I was just thinking out loud from my perspective about the PCM's I have in my planes. However I spoke with a flying buddy this past week about a large scale he lost using PCM. No one else flying, it just rolled over and did it's own swan dive into balsa dust! This was a very experienced flier and was using tested equipment with an installation that was used on all of his large scale planes. Very disturbing. Has me thinking about just moving over to all 2.4!
The exact thing happened to me and one of my helicopters. That's what triggered me to upgrade to FASST. Also, I had been waiting for the TM-8 to come out and it had just been released at the time. I flew down along river for quite a distance, and just as I had started making a turn I lost contact, and the heli went into failsafe with 20% throttle and locked controls. It stayed that way until it hit the ground in the same attitude it held during the turn. I found out that about twice the distance of the helicopter from me down the river someone else was flying parkflyers at a football field.

That could possibly have happened with spektrum as well, because there are large warehouses in the way between us and the other group. The Spektrum system might have found a couple of frequencies it thought were available but when the plane climbs up to altitude and comes into line of sight with the other group of several Spektrum fliers which between them happen to occupy the same, or close to the same frequency it locks out. Unlikely, but possible. incredibly unlikely with FASST, however.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:56 AM
Gordito Volador

I have two 9C's, one with the TM8 and the other on Spektrum. No complaints at all with either one.

Regards, Bill
Old 06-09-2008, 10:38 AM
DaddySam
My Feedback: (9)

I almost kept my synth module for my 9C, and bought a synth PCM rx, just in case for some reason the 2.4 didn't work somewhere. But in the end I sold all the 72mz stuff simply because I was worried about forgetting to get a freq pin if I ever did use the 72mz, or being shot down by some park flyer. In addition to the TM-8 and 2 608 rx's, I now have some peace of mind.
Sam
Old 06-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Pete_K

Pete, please do not think I was being critical.
Nah, not at all. Apologies to you if I came across sounding a tad lumpy.
For what it's worth, I can't make any comment either way regarding PCM. I've never used that particular mode so I'm not qualified to say if it's good or not. Some love it, some hate it. I've heard good and bad tales - guess it's just a case of what rocks your boat.

You'll probably have made up your mind by now, but most all the previous posts', they all pretty much agree that the 9C is an excellent radio, and that 2.4GHz really is the bee's knees... Futaba got it bang on.

(Dare I mention that every 2-pos switch on the 9C can be swapped for a 3-pos jobby? The software is already there.)
Old 06-13-2008, 08:28 AM
martinoto

(Dare I mention that every 2-pos switch on the 9C can be swapped for a 3-pos jobby? The software is already there.)

Pete, would you mind to expalin this in further detail? What do you mean with "the SW is already there"?
Thanks and regards
Old 06-15-2008, 09:03 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Pete, you mentioned also that the TM-7 module has the same 7/8 channel switch internally as the TM-8. So, the assumption is that the TM-7/TM-8 modules are truly the same, and the TM-7 is 8 channel ready by flipping the switch to 8 ch mode.

Have you tried your TM-7 with an 8 ch FASST receiver?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.