Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring
Reload this Page >

Good electric setup for kit built Bird Of Time..info here!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Gliders, Sailplanes and Slope Soaring Discuss rc gliders,rc sailplanes and slope soaring in this forum. Thermaling techniques, airfoils, tips, etc

Good electric setup for kit built Bird Of Time..info here!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 11:36 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Good electric setup for kit built Bird Of Time..info here!

I have read alot of threads were others were searching for a decent setup, And I think I have found one,and all the info you need.

First of all I am no electric expert, but I have read alot of posts to come up with my setup, and I am VERY happy with it. It does not go vertical, but close enough for me, I can get it up to 300 feet in maybe ten seconds or so. I have never run my batteries out yet, and have been climbing to altitude at least 7-8 times,and I wouldn't be surprised if I could go 15 if I wanted to.

Below is the information needed to duplicate my setup, I will add that I am using two cheap 8c 1250 li-pos in a series..giving me 2500 ma at 11.1 volt (3cell). I cut two inches off the front of my glider and mounted the motor on the new firewall I made. Also on my motor I had to slide the outrunner motor shaft through so I could mount the folding prop on the side of the motor I wanted. Also I believe my all up weight is 46 oz. and I had to add a tiny amount of tail weight ( a penny).

here are the parts I used..
All purchased from hobbycity, except the folding prop blades.

TURNIGY_Plush_40amp_Speed_Controller #TR_P40A

Turnigy TR_35-36C_1100kv_Brushless_Outrunner #TR35-36C

Folding_Headless_Prop_Spinner_38mm_/_4.0mm_shaft #FHS38-4.0

The turnigy programming card is a steal at 7 bucks as well...located in the turnigy speed control area.

prop size 10-6 http://www.hobby-lobby.com/freuden.htm
Old 06-29-2008, 08:20 PM
Uncle Ted

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Good electric setup for kit built Bird Of Time..info here!

Food stick ,I had selected the same setup for a 2M Aspire except I thought I could use a 11x5 or 11x7 prop. Do you have any amperage readings with the 10x6 prop? Hobby City just listed a new Turnigy line- the TGY AerodriveXP SKSeries 35-36 910Kv/470W which looks very good in that it will drive larger higher thrust props at slower speed ( 11x8, 12x5)for a fast climb .They also state higher motor efficiency , a hardened shaft and higher amperage capacity.How did you push the shaft thru and why was that necessary? As I recall the Bird of Time is a 2M glider is that correct?
Based on your experience what do you think of the new TGY Aerodrive motor and Hobby City's service and delivery time ? Also any other reccomendations for this setup!
Thanks ,your post is very timely for me in that I was just ready to order from Hobby City.
Uncle Ted
Old 06-29-2008, 08:38 PM
SoarLA45

Bird of Time is not 2m it is 118 inches!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Uncle Ted

Alex I have read a number of your posts. Do you have any info or comments on my questions to Foodstick?Any experience with Hobby City? My glider here in the mid-west will be a duration/thermal glider.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:29 PM
SoarLA45

The Aspire is the one that looks like a Spirit 2M with RES wingset right? Well, if it does look like that you will not need a large motor to make smooth climbs unless you are in a big hurry to catch thermals. I know people that have used motors with very low KV and slightly more powerful than foamy motors with great sucess. You might want to use a brushless outrunner with a large folding prop... About Kv size and prop/esc/battery combination: I am not an expert in electrics, as I only fly pure gliders... You might ant to try Motocalc to find motor size and prop size...
Old 06-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Uncle Ted

Thanks Alex. My setup as indicated in my post is a brushless outrunner with low Kx that may take up to a 13x8 prop but I am certain it will handle a 12x6 at 9000+ rpm which should get it up in a hurry. Now I am looking at weight issues. The Aspire is a 2m like Spirit an Gentle Lady.
Uncle Ted
Old 07-25-2008, 01:33 PM
mred33

I have a Vista which is almost the same as your 2 meter and I use a KD A22-20L from Hobby City in it and it works great. It's a small outrunner, but puts out around 200W with an 11X6 folding prop on it. It pulls around 22 Amps at WOT, but that is only for a few seconds and you shut it off. It is about 1/2 the weight of the stock system and will thermal really good with this set-up. MUCH better then the stock system and the speed 600 motor that came with it.

Most all of my orders go through Hobby City, but if you are going to order anything from them, make darn sure it is in stock before you put your order in. If 1 part is not in stock they will charge your card and hold up the order until ALL of the parts are in to fill it. If you are going to order something that is out of stock, make that an order on it's own and not with anything that is in stock or it will hold everything up. Look just under the picture of the item on the speck page for the number of items in stock. If that number is negative, that means it is out of stock. They also have the items in stock listed right next to the item on the item listing page. That's the one just before you get to the speck page.

If you want something that is out of stock, you can request an e-mail from them when it gets in stock and they will do that for you. If the item is a LiPo battery and it is out of stock, I would not order it. There are a couple of places here in the states that have good cheep batteries that will get them to you faster. These people are selling world wide, not just here in the states and some of these guys are dealers ordering a BUNCH of batteries. If you put one on back order, you may wait 2 or 3 months to get it. Not always, but it can happen.

They are good people to deal with and you should get everything you order in about 2 weeks or less, as long as it is in stock. If you cancel an order you can get your money back or a store credit that you can apply to your next order with a code they will give you. You have to request your money back though, or they will just give you a store credit. Hope this clears up some questions you had.
Ed