Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

2 stroke oil?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 11:53 AM
Kaz the Minotaur

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 stroke oil?

I just bought a Rampage MT. Should the oil mix be 25:1? I assume that any 2 stroke oil will work?
Old 07-12-2008, 02:15 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Default RE: 2 stroke oil?

I would think so, it's only a small weedeater motor.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: Kaz the Minotaur

I just bought a Rampage MT. Should the oil mix be 25:1? I assume that any 2 stroke oil will work?
Run it at a mix 25:1 with a mineral based 2 cycle oil for about a gallon. After that, I highly recommend running with a high quality synthetic oil such as Amsoil's Sabre. Sabre is perfect for the CY engine, you would still run with the 25:1 mix.

Amsoil will treat you well... it keeps the internals clean and the carbon build-up to a minimum. You will also have a longer engine life running with amsoil as compared to an oil like valvoline 2 cycle oil.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:13 AM
Kaz the Minotaur

Why mineral based for the first gallon and synthetic after that?

There is a store here in town that sells ATVs, snowmobiles, and motorcycles. I'll check them out.
Old 07-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Kemo

synthetic is best to use after using mineral oil (non synthetic). It will allow everything to set properly and the ring to seat correctly.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:33 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Uh, I would stick with whatever you start with, if you start with synthetic I would stay with it, mixing and changine oils in bigger engines can be bad, sythentic oil and mineral based oils, don't mix well and the mineral based oil will leave behind a residue. When the mineral burns it leaves a tarnish. If you ever take apart a weedeater and you see a brown tarnish on all the internals like the crank and piston skirt it's from the mineral oil, if you take one apart that has used sythetic oil the whole time it should be pristeen inside. Not to mention that the connecting points, crank shaft and con rod, piston wrist pin and con rod will probablly have some blueing from heat in an engine run on mineral oil.
Old 07-21-2008, 07:06 PM
Kemo

these engines should be ran in with a mineral based oil for the first initial runs. It is STRONGLY recommended to switch to synthetic 2 cycle oil after the so called "break in" period. You CAN run synthetic, but you get a better break in with mineral oils. Mineral oil has a very low film strength which is ideal for breaking in a new engine.

Even as per what dealers say:

http://www.davesmotors.com/rccar-faq.htm

Use 91 octane or higher fuel, mixed 25:1 with a quality non-synthetic 2-stroke oil. (You can use synthetic oil for break-in also. Just run slightly more fuel through the engine. ) Run the engine at varying speeds for periods of 3 to 10 minutes at a time. During this break-in time, NEVER go full throttle. Always let the engine idle for 30 seconds before turning it off. Allow the engine to cool off for 10 minutes before starting it again. Repeat this process 3 or 4 times - 3 or 4 full "heat cycles".
After the break-in period, switch to a high-quality synthetic 2-stroke oil, mixed at 25:1. Be sure to let the engine idle for 30 seconds to cool before stopping. Be sure to follow the maintenance schedule included in your engine owners manual.
Also note, Synthetics can be safely mixed with petroleum oil (as long as the API service designations are the same)
Old 07-21-2008, 07:13 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Doesn't say anything abotu them NEEDING to be broken in with mineral oil. Says clear as day you can use synthetic 2 stroke oil during initial runs.

Well let me put it to you like this kemo, I've been working on 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines going on 15+ years never used mineral oil during break in or run in and never had a problem never replaced a jug either. Just because some guy at daves motors says too, doesn't realy sway my opinion or experiance, even a tiny bit.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:29 PM
Swamp3r

I've never broke in a lawn mower or any other 2 stroke with that I've just used normal 2 stroke oil so I'm with wade on this one 100 %. Stop making the hobby confusing kemo................