Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

CRRC 40cc kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 11:40 AM
nickr100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CRRC 40cc kit

hi all,

does anyone have any experience of the CRRC 40cc kit engine?? i'm looking for a 40-45cc engine, i already have the crrc 45cc but i spyed this one and i like the idea of putting it together myself

[link]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Worlds-s-First-Engine-Kit-CRRC-pro-GF40I-Kit_W0QQitemZ170230669649QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item1 70230669649[/link]

cheers

nick
Old 08-06-2008, 11:24 AM
lamar389
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: CRRC 40cc kit

So I got the crrc 40cc kit the other day and it looks nice. All the components look well made and went together easily and quickly. However I have had a few issues, during assembly I had to “chase the threads†for the prop adaptor, which was not a big deal for me, but could have been a problem for someone who doesn’t own a metric tip and die set. The other problem is that the plastic bracket for the Hall Effect sensor broke after it was installed, which should not be a problem to fix or I could see if the company will replace it.
I currently have it mounted on the Giant Super Sportster with the mount that comes with the crrc. I need to make a spacer because it seems like it is going to be tail heavy and the distance from the firewall to the prop hub is only about 5 inch and is supposed to be about 7 inches.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:27 PM
nickr100

i would be very keen to hear how the engine runs and performs

cheers

nick
Old 08-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Piston
My Feedback: (1)

Why buy a kit engine with no warranty, no guarantee etc? Plus you have to put it together. Since it was bought on ebay, who would you call for any missing or broken parts. Their are many stories about buys who have bought engines off ebay (new ones that is! not used), and found them defective, broken, not what they thought they were buying. Then getting your money back is nothing short of impossible.

Right now lamar 389 hasn't even put a prop on yet and he has several major problems in regards to parts that broke easily or don't fit properly. It is great that he is skilled at fixing the parts. But where are the parts coming from and who is gonna pay?

I am sure that there are guys who would love a challenge of putting one together, and will buy one just for this type of challenge and learning experience. But for the vast majority of us, buying a fully assembled, tested and warrantied engine to me seems like a so much better deal.

Henry

Old 08-07-2008, 10:45 PM
lamar389

Henry has a good point but, tinkering with engines is a hobby too.

This engine is definitely for someone who likes to tinker with engines. I realized I had taken a chance when I purchased this engine and so far I am satisfied with it.

I decided to buy this because it was cheap, I liked the Idea of inspecting the parts as I put the engine together, I use to work for Sears as a small engine technician and this engine design reminded me of the Poulan chain saw engines, which are very nice running engines.

Assembling this engine was not challenging at all since I have had experience with working on all types of engines. Once you get the bearings on the crank and the piston on the rod, 4 bolts hold the engine together, and then you bolt on the prop adaptor, ignition sensor, muffler, and carburetor. Not very complicated.

I don’t consider the problems major, the prop adaptor bolt just needed the treads cleaned using a tap and the sensor mount has been fixed with some CA.

I have emailed AGAPE RACING AND HOBBY to see if they will replace the broken part and will let you know how they respond.

I did start up the engine for the first time tonight. The engine has been ready to go since the first day I got it, I just had to finish the plane and mount the engine. I primed the engine a few times and gave it a few good turns with the ignition on and it started right up. It sounds very nice and has good throttle response and lots of power. The directions say you are supposed to break it in by running it slow for 30 minutes at a time until it has ran for 2 hours. It will be a week or so till I have time to fly it.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:45 PM
lamar389

UPDATE

I have run the engine for about 45 minutes and am pleased with the performance so far and hope to fly it by next weekend. The propeller is a wooden Top Flight Power Point 20 x 8 and turns 7,000 RPM at full throttle.

I have also received the new hall sensor with no problem. I am currently running the engine with the original sensor that was broken and glued back together, but will replace it with the new one when its ready to fly.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:00 PM
nickr100

these engines sound very promising indeed
Old 08-12-2008, 08:49 PM
Planeclothes
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is OK if you like putting things together. It's like building planes, with so many good ARFs out there you don't want to build from a kit unless you really like building. Actually you can buy the CRRC 40cc fully assembled and tested from Paragon RC in Canada for only $10 more than you would pay for the kit. http://www.prcmodel.com/modeng/name/...od/product/152
Old 08-12-2008, 09:34 PM
lamar389

I don’t see that it says assembled, it even has a warning at the end up the description that the engine is a kit.

“Warning! you need enought skill to assemble the engine.â€
Old 08-12-2008, 09:59 PM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

I saw this:

Assembled in Canada by Paragon RC. Will ship in 48 hours after you placed the order.
btw, whats the weight of this motor?
Old 08-12-2008, 10:02 PM
lamar389

Ok I see now, two engines one assembled and one a kit with the same warning. I still don’t see the “tested†part.

Looks like a good alternative for someone who doesn’t want to assemble it themselves.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:07 PM
lamar389

From box data : "Dry Weight 1300g (2.87 lbs)"
Old 08-18-2008, 10:12 PM
OldCoot
My Feedback: (47)

I ordered one of these out of curiosity since I enjoy building and tinkering with engines.
Out of the box, all parts seem to be of fair quality. Actually, better than expected for a Chinese product.
One problem from the start, however, the female side of the prop shaft that screws onto the crankshaft is tapped with fine threads and the crankshaft is course threaded.
If my guages are accurate the crankshaft pitch appears to be 1.25 and the prop shaft is a .8 or 1.0.
Apparently the prop shaft was tapped incorrectly at the factory.
I contacted the dealer I bought it from and he examined several kits in stock and found the same problem.
I am awaiting the solution as he is contacting the factory tomorrow.
Will keep you posted.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:02 AM
corsaircrazy

I built one over the weekend, and encountered no problems. It went together well, and was ready to run in 40 minutes. My only gripe is the instruction sheet is written in chinese, with no english subtitles. No problem on assembly, but would like to see some specs.... (update.. specs are on box, and in english).
After rocking the prop (18X10) to get fuel to carb, I set the choke, flipped it 4 times and it fired. Choke off, 2 more flips and it runs like a watch! I ran it for a half hour rich, and it seems to run smoothly and it is a strong little critter, with no carb adjustments yet.
I guess the bottom line would be.. if you enjoy tinkering with mechanical stuff, this is a fun diversion, and a seemingly strong motor to boot. If you are an ARF addict, and have to have everything done for you, then this is NOT for you.
There are still some of us out there who take a little pride in building something with our hands, and not assembling a pre-built, pre-covered cookie cutter plane. Granted, this motor is not on the same level as a 3W or a DA, but you can have 2 of these for the price of a "good" motor. (and 40cc's fits the gap between a 26cc and a 50cc.. and you are not stuck with a G-38)
Old 08-19-2008, 10:32 AM
lamar389

I ordered from AGAPE RACING AND HOBBY and everything is in English
Old 08-19-2008, 12:07 PM
OldCoot

My dealer called this morning and he had spoken with the factory.
There have been some crankshafts shipped from CRRC with the wrong threads. (Mine being one)
The crankshaft should have been fine thread to match the prop shaft.
I will be getting the proper crankshaft soon.

On a side note: I bought mine from AGAPE also. Jim is a great guy to deal with.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:19 PM
lamar389

I finally got a chance to fly my Giant Super Sportster with the CRRC 40cc today and was very pleased with the performance. I posted a video on Youtube and only about the first 15 seconds of the video are worth watching because the plane looks like a dot the rest of the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdtcVbEdOfQ
Old 09-01-2008, 04:31 PM
hamman
My Feedback: (61)

Looks like more than enough power for your S.S. I also ordered one this weekend and I agree with you by just looking at the pics it looks like the Poulan or a clone of the 40 or 42, whatever it is. I just converted a 46 poulan, a decent engine. Larry
Old 09-01-2008, 04:47 PM
OldCoot

I got mine finished and am pleased so far.
After about 2 hrs of break in, it's turning a MAS 18X8 at 7800 and has a solid idle at 1800.
I am mounting it in a GP PT-17 Stearman and will let you know how it flies.
Old 09-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Edwin

I've seen Lamar389 fly his big super sportster. He flew it a lot at our big bird last weekend and that engine didnt miss a beat. I didnt know what he had in it till I saw this thread.
Edwin
Old 10-14-2008, 06:49 PM
cantw8tofly
My Feedback: (3)

Hey guys i just bought one of these engines, i was wondering what is the best prop for this engine is? I have not bought one yet.

Let me know if ya could.

thanks
Old 10-14-2008, 08:21 PM
OldCoot

18X8 XOAR Laminated worked well for me.
Also had pretty good performance with a MAS Classic 18X8.
Prefer the XOAR though.

Be careful not to get any threadlocker on the Hall Sensor.
It will crystalize the plastic.
You might also want to put a drop or two of bearing retainer on both bearings before installing the case cap. They tend to spin inside the casting if you don't.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:37 PM
cantw8tofly

so how heavy is your stearman and how does it fly with this engine?
Old 10-14-2008, 10:13 PM
OldCoot

Performs scale maneuvers with authority.
I had a 26cc in it originally and it just wasn't enough.
All up weight is 13.5lbs.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki17912.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1052182   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yu63783.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	1052183   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59618.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	1052184  
Old 10-15-2008, 08:43 AM
cantw8tofly

Very nice bipe coot. Why are you not using the recommended 18x10 prop? Did you try any other props besides the 18x8?

I am installing this on a 13 pound edge 540 and i dont really need speed but i do need alot of pull out power. Do you think the 18x8 will do this for me? I was gonna get a 20" prop but i have noticed in the forums that most are running 18's.

By the way this is my first gasser, I have only flown this edge a few times and the os 1.60 fx will not stay running so i sold it for the cash to get the crrc 40.

Also i purchased mine from jim at agape racing and hobby

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.