Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Combat Wing Tape

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Combat Wing Tape

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 12:11 AM
Cashpoboy
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Combat Wing Tape

I am new to combat slope wings.

I recently purchased a 'Prairie Dog' which is like a Zagi or any other EPP slope combat wing.

What kind of tape do you use to cover the wings?

I understand that I will need strapping tape for strength. What brand and width do I need? Any cheap sources?

Also, I see that colored tapes are used to cover the final build? Same question. What kind, width, brand, thickness....etc?

Any low cost sources for these?

And finally I see that I will need tape for the hinges. Same questions with this too.

There are no building instructions with the kit. I spoke with Jack the kit manufacturer and he is working on an instruction sheet. It's not a problem as it appears very simple and there are online manuals for Zagis and other similar models that I can follow.

The tape issues are really what I need help with.

Thanks for any help.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Capn America
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Combat Wing Tape

Most people order colored packing tape from u-line or fastpack, search the names you will find them. I like to use some bidirectional tape for the hinges. Some make a full length tape hinge, I cut them into strips and make hindges that go over the wing and under the aileron in an x fasion like the older covering hindges. Takes a little flutter out of the system. then cover it all with packing tape.

Look up the avenger plans on the net, it is a simular construction method and will give you an idea how to work with what you have. I think air sharnell has the avenger on their site now.

Good luck
Old 07-18-2008, 02:52 PM
batchelc

Capn,

Thanks for the tip!

You may also want to try your local Uhaul. They sell red and green tape for xmas. Home Depot sells the bidirectional tape (called extreme packing tape).

Fastpack is having a special. I just picked up 16 rolls for 2.28 each including shipping. So now I'm not stuck with red and green!

Thanks,
Chris
Old 07-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Cashpoboy

Thanks for all the tips. Should have no problem now.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:09 PM
Cashpoboy

Thanks batchelc I just ordered 8 rolls of tape from Fastpack too. I love this. It's so cheap to build these things!
Old 07-19-2008, 12:58 AM
batchelc

I like to see everones faces after the combat birds take a "dirt nap" and no one can believe we are flying them 5 minutes later. Youll have enought tape for 200 planes now...