Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers
Reload this Page >

Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Larry Driskill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Official F27 Stryker Part 8: Beginners to Custom Darkness

I have seen where folks have held hatches on with magnets.

Can anyone help with the particulars? (what size, type, etc)
Old 08-24-2009, 07:53 PM
moparmyway

Hey Larry,
I believe rare earth magnets have been successfull in keeping hatches on till about 90-100 mph. Anything over that, and you are taking a huge chance in having your hatch come off in flight. If I am wrong here, please someone chime in, but if I remember correctly, it was just about 100 mph when I was looking for my 3 covers before I started screwing them down.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:54 PM
moparmyway

WORD OF CAUTION
To anyone and everyone thinking of running 140+ mph on a 3 pound plane or heavier.

Today, I lost Nemesis due to yet another INFLIGHT servo failure.

I have changed out at least 16 HS85MG's this summer from in-flight damage to the gear teeth. On one of my builds, I actually installed HS645MG's (full size servo) and have had at least 12 successfull flights with all of the associated hard landings that a 3-4 pound plane will give you. Both servos still like new !!! I was lucky to get 2-3 flights on any heavy fast Stryker before the HS85MG's would make noise and skip. Well today, I launched Nemesis off the bungee and was testing out a new motor at what seemed to be well over 140mph when she wouldnt pull out of a left turn. I needed full right input just to straighten her out, then I lost her in the sun, then I saw her go down. I have had this happen a few times in previous flights, but was able to land and repair/replace the HS85MG..............NOT this time.

She was fully loaded with all Eagletree data devices, including GPS, aux antannae for GPS, RPM, airspeed, altimeter, pitot tube, 2 temp sensors, 150a logger, (2) NEW never used HS85MG's, 5s-3850 (30/60c) Thunderpower, MEGA 16/30/2, CC125, CC BEC, Flight pack battery, needless to say custom verticals and airframe modifications, 1-1/2 epoxy covered elevons on 6 CA hinges each wing, 4-40 rods, 6.5mm bullets on (ESC, motor, battery, eagletree),

Expensive..................yes !!
Lesson learned......................run full size servos if you want to beat my speed !!!!

I might take tomorrow off and try again to find her, but if I do get her back, you can bet the bank that I wont fly fast again untill HS645MG or HS5645MG servos are installed.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:23 AM
chippedprop

ORIGINAL: Larry Driskill

I have seen where folks have held hatches on with magnets.

Can anyone help with the particulars? (what size, type, etc)
Which is why I screw down my hatches. Not great to look at but you can't see it at flight speed. Plus if you crash it does help to keep gear in the plane or slow it down a lot if ejected................wonder how I know this

Now you have to figure out what you use to hold the screw into the foam.
Cp
Old 08-25-2009, 08:07 AM
CWHFSR

ORIGINAL: moparmyway

She was fully loaded with all Eagletree data devices, including GPS, aux antannae for GPS, RPM, airspeed, altimeter, pitot tube, 2 temp sensors, 150a logger, (2) NEW never used HS85MG's, 5s-3850 (30/60c) Thunderpower, MEGA 16/30/2, CC125, CC BEC, Flight pack battery, needless to say custom verticals and airframe modifications, 1-1/2 epoxy covered elevons on 6 CA hinges each wing, 4-40 rods, 6.5mm bullets on (ESC, motor, battery, eagletree),

Expensive..................yes !!
Lesson learned......................run full size servos if you want to beat my speed !!!!

I might take tomorrow off and try again to find her, but if I do get her back, you can bet the bank that I wont fly fast again untill HS645MG or HS5645MG servos are installed.
Wow, that sucks! Knock on wood I've been able to find all my crashes but I'm not pushing anything anywhere near as hard as you. Good luck in finding it!
Old 08-26-2009, 01:57 AM
Gryphon

Moparmyway,

I already told you how bad I felt about your loss (in a phone call). I still feel the same way [&o] .

Here is the device that I mentioned over the phone....I posted about it a few pages back.

http://www.loc8tor.com/Store/Loc8torModelPlanes.aspx

They have 10% discount for 5 units and free shipping, but 10 units gets 15% discount and free shipping.

I'm sure we can find others interested in the loc8tor.

It also works on kids etc...
http://www.loc8tor.com/Store/Loc8torChildCare.aspx

check out its other uses:
http://www.loc8tor.com/Store/

I am considering (2) units for my brother and I.

Instead of 600 ft clear line of site range, I'll settle for even 200 ft range for bad case situations.

The part that goes in the plane weighs 5 grams and is the size of watch battery.

With 1 or 2 more friends we can place order for 5 units...and get 10% off

Think about it.

Gryphon
Old 08-26-2009, 03:42 AM
moparmyway

Dudes,
Thanks for all of the support !!
I went looking yesterday again, still NOTHING !!

Gryphon, count me in for one of the Plus models. Great idea to make a list and purchase as a group.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 AM
nova50073
My Feedback: (1)

I feel your pain, and know how frustrating it is , after losing my plane the 2nd of july, I have spent $25 on brush killer to beat down a brier patch where I THINK my plane went down.
I have given up looking for now and am waiting until the leaves fall before I go back.

I have used google earth to help me search, use the point where you were standing and the last known point you saw the plane, then you can use the measure tool to draw a line and print it out , to have a better Idea of where to look once you get to the crash site.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:24 AM
1LO64

Is there another thread for the 1st gen stryker? I've upgraded mine to lipo but need some elevons and was wondering what's been created for mods that will fit on mine and who makes them?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 AM
CWHFSR

I would think that all mods for the B models would also work on the 1st gen Strykers... aren't the upgraded electronics the only difference between the two?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:57 AM
1LO64

ORIGINAL: CWHFSR

I would think that all mods for the B models would also work on the 1st gen Strykers... aren't the upgraded electronics the only difference between the two?
Does anybody sell updated elevons?
Old 08-26-2009, 11:42 AM
chippedprop

ORIGINAL: 1LO64

.................................................. .

You can make your own.
Do you have any RC exp.??
If yes then it's easy.
If no then it may be a great time to learn how. Material is cheap and easy to work. You should be able to complete the job in 1-2 hours.

You can also go with stock elevons and add extreme brand packing tape to stiffen. Second way is to add carbon fiber wide strips to one side of the elevon.
Third way is to add thin rc (3/32 I think) plywood to one side of the elevons.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:45 AM
CWHFSR

I was also thinking, unless you are going to be pushing the limits (over 100) I don't know that you need updated elevons. That being said, I'm running pretty much stock electronics and did update them to balsa and can tell a difference. This was the first time I've ever tried to do anything related to making stuff myself and after following THIS GUIDE it came out perfect!! I say just try and do it yourself and see how it works out! A lot of times it is the fear of making a mistake that keeps us from trying... when it really isn't that hard.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:51 AM
1LO64

ORIGINAL: chippedprop

.................................................. .

You can make your own.
Do you have any RC exp.??
If yes then it's easy.
If no then it may be a great time to learn how. Material is cheap and easy to work. You should be able to complete the job in 1-2 hours.

You can also go with stock elevons and add extreme brand packing tape to stiffen. Second way is to add carbon fiber wide strips to one side of the elevon.
Third way is to add thin rc (3/32 I think) plywood to one side of the elevons.
Do you have instructions or know anybody that sells them? I could've swore I saw somebody make some with a larger surface.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:17 PM
Gryphon

1LO64,

Is yours just old and smashed on the ends and are looking to replace them?
(possibly not finding the original "A" model type elevons?)

If you don't need anything extreme, you can do the C.F. mod that Chippedprop suggested to yours or to the new Stock elevons.
See attached pics.

Gryphon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78491.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	1263666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85066.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	1263667   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di10577.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	163.9 KB
ID:	1263668  
Old 08-26-2009, 02:31 PM
1LO64

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

1LO64,

Is yours just old and smashed on the ends and are looking to replace them?
(possibly not finding the original ''A'' model type elevons?)

If you don't need anything extreme, you can do the C.F. mod that Chippedprop suggested to yours or to the new Stock elevons.
See attached pics.

Gryphon
The hinges got worn out and broke during a rough landing.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:58 PM
Gryphon

1LO64,

The original A did not have (4) hinges as per my picture of F-27B elevon.

Did yours have hinge tape like original "A" elevons or did it have (4) hinges like F-27B in my pic?

I can post pics of original no hinge elevons tomorrow when I get my camera back from a friend.

Gryphon
Old 08-26-2009, 03:20 PM
1LO64

ORIGINAL: Gryphon

1LO64,

The original A did not have (4) hinges as per my picture of F-27B elevon.

Did yours have hinge tape like original ''A'' elevons or did it have (4) hinges like F-27B in my pic?

I can post pics of original no hinge elevons tomorrow when I get my camera back from a friend.

Gryphon
It's like yours with the 4 hinges
Old 08-26-2009, 03:49 PM
Gryphon

1LO64

I'm not sure how long you had your stock F-27B elevons (Gray with 4 hinges), or your stock F-27C elevons (Black with 4 hinges).
They are fairly resilient and they don’t break so easy or so quickly.
So I suggest you replace yours with the black F-27C elevons (both B/C are the same size) and in future replace them a little quicker.
If you flew yours for 3 years, then change the next set in 1 1/2 to 2 years...problem solved for $4

Want them little stiffer? o.k. then put 3M Extreme tape (Office Depot or Staples) on it , or buy (2) of the C.F. packages that I pictured above to cover the top and bottom of each elevon.

Or just make your own wooden elevon and Trailing edge the simple way with 5/16" Elevon stock.

It seems that you are not after anything too extreme.

***Are you sure you want to buy a set of custom elevons? If so, then I can probably find someone who will do it for you. Send me a PM if you wish.

I still suggest you go buy a set of stock elevons and be done with it.

Gryphon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12921.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	1263736  
Old 08-26-2009, 07:27 PM
moparmyway

This was the first time I've ever tried to do anything related to making stuff myself and after following THIS GUIDE it came out perfect!! I say just try and do it yourself and see how it works out! A lot of times it is the fear of making a mistake that keeps us from trying... when it really isn't that hard.
Thanks Dude !!
And you are totally on the $$ with just trying. We here on this thread have tried our very best to make everything sssooooooooo simple.
__________________________________________________ _____________

1LO64,

Replace the stock ones with F27C like Gryphon suggested,

OR........go for balsa elevons,
JUST TRY IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please just follow the build and you will NOT regret it !!!!!
Old 08-27-2009, 07:07 AM
1LO64

Thanks fellas.....I just bought some stock ones for now!!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:37 AM
ProVluvR

Hey Guys
Just picked up a fuse, motor mount, and hatch covers, thanks for a great thread to help me put it together right. I have started working on a set of balsa elevons, and am taking my time with this build. Is the traveling motor program still open to sign up, if so what do I need to do to sign up. I'm not really looking to have a blazing fast Stryker right now. But, would like to set mine up so I have a good chance of building go fast flying skills, and can move up on the motor down the road.
Thanks for all help.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:45 PM
Gryphon

j4ck4,

Hello crash master (your signature on Wattflyer),

Looks like she answered your questions well. She is experienced.

Regarding your post above about the motor exchange program; Try sending a PM to Moparmyway to see if your needs falls into his Requirements/Goals/Spirit of the motor exchange program.
Keep those discussions strictly in PMs to him.

He can give you more details, but here is what I think I remember about it:
If you get a motor from him and something happens to it, just replace it quickly and he expects a post placed here about your experiences with the motor. You get to keep the motor till he gives you a new address to ship it to for the next person's use.

Have fun,

Gryphon
Old 08-28-2009, 10:54 AM
ProVluvR

Yeah Chellie is a great help always.
Thanks also for your info Gryphon, I am really looking to set up close to stock B model performance for now. Trying to find an electronics package from an rtf version if possible.
A question though to the masters of the Stryker world.
Would the brushed can motor off a Supercub work if I pulled the pinon gear and mounted it in a B model mount and used a B model prop?
Old 08-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Gryphon

ProVluvR,

Once time I could not find the stock replacement motor on the store shelf and I was sold the other identical one which was for a mustang and it came with a pinion gear...well it was rotating in the wrong direction. I just had to flip the Red and Black wires around...I did it at the motor.

So if your motor is the same ParkZone roughly 3.3 o.z. 480 brushed motor, just make sure that it is rotating in the right direction. At most you have to just flip the Black and Red wire leads on back of motor...unsolder them at motor, swap, and re-solder.

You will need a 2.3mm prop adapter to run regular props, and make sure that the regular props face forward (writings face forward).

What are you going to run for battery and prop?

Gryphon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.