Notices
RC Airboats Discuss R/C Airboats here!

Alligator Tours

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:22 PM
donahue_85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alligator Tours

I'm new here,& I havea brand new AquacraftAlligator Tours Airboat. I've never owned anything R/C before. I have a few friends that own some R/C vehicles & I have played with them, but never a boat, only cars.Is there anything I should know about airboat running? I would hate to get it out on the water & flip it or something & end up wrecking the whole thing after I just got it!! Any suggestions or input will be appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 07-10-2009, 11:15 PM
crispyspa

Default RE: Alligator Tours

Have a way to retrieve the boat if it flips or stalls on you. A fishing pole with a tennis ball tied to the line works good, a canoe works better.

If it flips, you'll need to remove the glow plug, turn the boat so that the exhaust port in down and roll the engine over with the starter. reinstall the plug and restart.

Start slow, no need to Nascar the thing first day out. get used to operating it, an airboat is quit different than any other rc vehicle. you need to remain on the throttle during a turn otherwise the steering will be sluggish at best.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:13 AM
DJLaPalme

Donahue, please do as Crispyspa advised. I have an Aligator Tours airboat and I had to retrieve it many times. Use a boat or a fishing pole, never swim for it. Take your time and you will have fun. If I can be of help you can pm me or put a message on this thread. I live in Cocoa, Fl. and I go to Ocala on the third Sunday of every month to run with the M.A.B.A. We are trying to get the R.C.A.A. to come run with us too. Dennis
Old 07-11-2009, 09:48 PM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be prepared for a flip, engine die or any other reason the boat may get stuck out in the water.
Like Dennis said, its best to run with others. Good way to enjoy the hobby and make good new friends
Old 07-12-2009, 09:24 AM
donahue_85

My buddy knows a place where rc boaters meet up & race around this little pond. Its not too far from my house, & there will be other people with boats so I will have help if need be. I suppose if I ever go by myself, I'll needa fishing pole!

Also, just to ask, what all is needed to be done after a flip in the water?? I mean, I know the major part is to get the water out of the engine by removing the glow plug, but is there any other steps I would need to take incase of a roll-over??
Old 07-12-2009, 10:53 AM
crispyspa

Aside from starting the engine to burn out the remaining water.....I usually do a quick rudder/throttle check to make sure they are working properly. This is especially important if you have a standard, nylon gear servo for steering. I flipped particularly hard one time, landed on the rudders and unknown to me, had striped the servo gears. I cleared the water from the engine and sent it back out...with no steering. I now make it a habit to check.

EDIT:
Check the radio box for water also.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:40 AM
donahue_85

Thanks for the information guys! There is a lot more involved in this than I thought. Please, if you guys have anymore tips or concerns I should know about, please let me know! The more knowledge I have before I go out, the better!
Old 07-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Mr Cajun Gator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most Important have FUN Things happen, take your time, learn the boat.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:49 AM
DJLaPalme

It is important that you run your engine after draining it as Crispyspa recommended. Get it up to operating temperature before stopping for the day. After shutdown put a quality after run oil in it to help prevent corrosion on the bearings.I have an O.S. 61 FX helicopter engine that I have run on airboats for years and flipped many times and it still runs like a champ. Dennis
Old 07-15-2009, 12:35 PM
jasperrc

All great advice!

I would add that at the end of each day's running you should open up the hatches and compartments and let your boat air out. Even if you haven't flipped it, moisture can find it's way in and can wreak havoc with your electronics. And it doesn't take long for a glitching servo or Rx to ruin a fun day at the pond. What's more, it could cause your boat to go out of control which is not a good thing.

We don't want to worry you but we want you to be safe and to have fun. All suggestions you get are lessons that have come at a price for someone, but they are free to you.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:16 PM
donahue_85

I appreciate all the advice you guys are giving me!