Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Clarence Lee no longer with us - FALSE RUMOR

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Clarence Lee no longer with us - FALSE RUMOR

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 08:00 PM
cwahl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clarence Lee no longer with us - FALSE RUMOR

CORRECTION!!!: CLARENCE LEE IS ALIVE AND WELL!

I called his business today, and received the following from his wife Peggy: the eBay seller referenced below apparently bought the collection of one Jake Ouriel in New York, which contained several engines either bought from Clarence Lee (duplicates from his collection) or ones that Mr. Lee had worked on for various reasons.

I apologize to Mr. Lee and the RC community for having posted this without confirming the facts beforehand.

original post below

I was cruising eBay, and ran across an engine auction from a seller who said he'd bought "the estate" of C F Lee. I sent him a question asking if Mr Lee had indeed died, and he said, yes, that was the case.

I haven't found anything on the Internet related to this. The seller, one Johnson-619, has several auctions current, and is sure to have many more he said that he had bought "1000 engines" from Mr Lee's widow.

I'm personally saddened to hear this. I was not a particularly active RCer, but I did own several of his excellent Veco/K&B 61s, and had him customize them. He was always responsive and helpful whenever I had a question, and it was a pleasure to correspond with him. Like many, I enjoyed reading his Engine Clinic articles for many years in RCM it was always the first thing I turned to.

In my opinion, the RC community has lost another "Hall of Famer." RIP, sir.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Default RE: Clarence Lee no longer with us - FALSE RUMOR

I agree...a definite Hall of Famer...!!!
Old 10-04-2009, 10:17 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He's been in the Hall of Fame since 1983.

I met him at a Formula One Pylon race around 1984 or 85. I had used some of his engines for racing early in my F1 days. He sent a typed letter with them with personal instructions and prop recommendations (props were hand carved back then from production props).

A short Bio:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/m...e-Clarence.pdf

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Lee.htm
Old 10-04-2009, 10:52 PM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too asked that seller about his statements regarding the origin of his engines stamped "CF LEE" , but I won't believe what he told me until I call Mr. Lee's shop in the morning and hear it from them.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Jeff Worsham

ORIGINAL: cwahl

I'm personally saddened to hear this. I was not a particularly active RCer, but I did own several of his excellent Veco/K&B 61s, and had him customize them. He was always responsive and helpful whenever I had a question, and it was a pleasure to correspond with him. Like many, I enjoyed reading his Engine Clinic articles for many years in RCM it was always the first thing I turned to.
Clarence Lee still writes the Engine Clinic column in Model Airplane News. Nearly every month! One of the moderators had his engine worked on by Clarence last week.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:16 PM
maxpower1954

Being the mature (?) cynic I am, I'm questioning this as well.

It seems odd to me that this is the first word we've had about Clarence's passing. Estate sales do not normally occur within days after a funeral, and I had the same thought as Jeff did - I was going to call Clarence tomorrow. I hope, like Mark Twain, that reports of his demise have been greatly exaggerated! Russ Farris
Old 10-05-2009, 12:30 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps Mr. Lee is just selling off some of his collection?

I hope that is the case...(trying not to be pessimistic )
Old 10-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Free Bird

I was cruising eBay, and ran across an engine auction from a seller who said he'd bought "the estate" of C F Lee. I sent him a question asking if Mr Lee had indeed died, and he said, yes, that was the case.

I haven't found anything on the Internet related to this. The seller, one Johnson-619, has several auctions current, and is sure to have many more he said that he had bought "1000 engines" from Mr Lee's widow.

In my opinion, the RC community has lost another "Hall of Famer." RIP, sir.

This is a false rumor!!!!!! I just spoke to an editor at MAN who is currently working on Lee's next article. He hasn't heard anything of Lee's passing and will verify and get back to me later today. Sound's like somebody on ebay is looking to make some bucks by starting a rumor that isn't true.

FB
Old 10-05-2009, 09:39 AM
jfuller

I certainly hope that the rumor is false. We have lost too many of the modelers that made this hobby fun for all of us.
james Fuller
Old 10-05-2009, 10:22 AM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

ebay has more BSer's than any bar... and a equal amount of shysters.. a pox on them for trying to use Clarence Lee as a emotional profit taking endeavor[:@][>:][:'(]
Old 10-05-2009, 10:36 AM
Jeff Worsham

I just talked with C.F. Lee manufacturing and the nice lady told me Clarence is alive and well!! Please don't believe everything an ebay seller puts in their AD.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Jeff Worsham

ORIGINAL: proptop

Perhaps Mr. Lee is just selling off some of his collection?

I hope that is the case...(trying not to be pessimistic )
No, the nice lady at C.F. Lee Mfg said that Clarence is not selling off some of his collection. The ebay seller told me he purchased this stuff in New York. Phone call to Mr. Lee's shop confirmed that what this seller is saying came from "the estate of C.F. Lee" is simply not true.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:36 AM
proptop

Thank you guys for clearing this up!

Edited my post due to the one below...
Old 10-05-2009, 11:47 AM
cwahl

CORRECTION!!!: CLARENCE LEE IS ALIVE AND WELL!

I called his business today, and received the following from his wife Peggy: the eBay seller referenced below apparently bought the collection of one Jake Ouriel in New York, which contained several engines either bought from Clarence Lee (duplicates from his collection) or ones that Mr. Lee had worked on for various reasons.

I apologize to Mr Lee and the RC community for having posted this without confirming the facts beforehand.

I've done what I could by editing my initial post above.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:28 PM
stuntflyr

Please contact the moderator to change the TITLE of this thread if you cannot do it yourself, or just delete the thread entirely..
Chris...
Old 10-05-2009, 05:18 PM
aerowoof

man had me dep;ressed there for a minute
Old 10-05-2009, 05:30 PM
jaymen

We just got two .61 K&Bs from him, he does a great job on these engines, it's his specialty, as it was once the Veco .61.