Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

Can I use ethenol?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:58 AM
noginblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use ethenol?

Methenol is hard to buy in uk on it's own. I Can get 5 liters of ethenol for £10 here can I use ethenol obvoisly with lube added, only using it for bashing so performance not critical. Yes or no ?
Old 02-08-2010, 10:36 AM
theRCreverend.
Banned

Default RE: Can I use ethenol?

I'd like to try this sometime just for the heck of it, but my expectation is that it won't work well.

There is a catalytic reactioninvolvingthe platinum in the glow plug and methanol. The question is will it be similar with ethanol and the platinum, I don't know. The two are similar alcohols, but may behave totally different in this situation.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ethyl Alcohol = the stuff you drink

Castor Oil = a laxative

So......if you drink your own fuel, guess what happens?

(I don't recommend it as pure ethanol is hard to get, so the typical stuff contains really bad things)

If you can get ethanol cheap, why not try it? With enough lube, I doubt it will hurt anything.

( I have my doubts the catalytic reaction anyway...seems to me early engines merely had nichrome wire plugs. So although the reaction may help things along, it's probably not critical to make an engine run....hey, didn't we have this discussion not that long ago?)
Old 04-06-2010, 02:45 PM
calvino

ORIGINAL: Argess

Ethyl Alcohol = the stuff you drink

Castor Oil = a laxative

So......if you drink your own fuel, guess what happens?

(I don't recommend it as pure ethanol is hard to get, so the typical stuff contains really bad things)

If you can get ethanol cheap, why not try it? With enough lube, I doubt it will hurt anything.

( I have my doubts the catalytic reaction anyway...seems to me early engines merely had nichrome wire plugs. So although the reaction may help things along, it's probably not critical to make an engine run....hey, didn't we have this discussion not that long ago?)
Haha you get drunk and gota take a crap

I am with you on the reaction. Heck, it may do something but lets face it, when the engine runs cold, its more prone to stalling period... right I know there is a catalytic reaction with platinum and ammonia to make nitric acid, other than that, im not sure. I will agree that put in a good amount of lube and give it a shot
Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 PM
JDenyer232

Well yesterday I put denatured alchohol to the test. Here is what I found. I mixed denatured alcohol that was denatured with about 10% methanol with 10% castor oil. I was able to get the engine started after playing around with the hsn and lsn. It would even keep running with the glow plug ignitor removed provided I kept the idle up. Accelerating was a no go, the cool ethanol hitting the glow plug with less catalytic reaction would flame the engine out immediatly, regardless of needle settings. I did manage to get the engine temp to 200F and it would still flame out the moment you pulled the throttle. The hsn and lsn were ultra sensitive to even small changes which made tuning a hair pulling experience. In a nut shell the engine idled well although a little high, but the performance was so poor I wouldn't even attempt it again.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:58 AM
papy_yosh

hi,

You might want to check that post. the last 4 posts are talking about running ethanol only and oil. The guy succeded and have his sons engine running ethanol only. And gives the mod to do for racing.

Link to article
Old 04-12-2010, 01:44 PM
JDenyer232

ORIGINAL: papy_yosh

hi,

You might want to check that post. the last 4 posts are talking about running ethanol only and oil. The guy succeded and have his sons engine running ethanol only. And gives the mod to do for racing.

Link to article
Well I read the article and it seems they were talking about 0% nitro, I didn't see anything about ethanol instead of methanol, unless I missed it which is possible with these old eyes
Old 04-12-2010, 03:24 PM
papy_yosh

Oups, my bad man,

I wasn't awake this morning when I read that. Ethanol, Methanol... It is too much alcohol strait up for the morning.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:44 PM
skrilla

Oups, my bad man,

I wasn't awake this morning when I read that. Ethanol, Methanol... It is too much alcohol strait up for the morning.
These things happen when discussing booze so early in the morning
Old 04-13-2010, 06:23 AM
JDenyer232

ORIGINAL: skrilla

Oups, my bad man,

These things happen when discussing booze so early in the morning
LOL, this is true