Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF > NitroModels Support
Reload this Page >

Wild Hawk good choice?

Community
Search
Notices
NitroModels Support Click here to have all your questions answered directly from the NitroModels support team.

Wild Hawk good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 06:21 PM
drhlau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wild Hawk good choice?

Total Newbie to RC aircraft. Have been researching and I will probably go with the Wild Hawk. There are tons of "beginner" trainers on the market. Just wanted to get some veteran flier's opinions on the Wild Hawk before I take the plunge.

Not a newbie to flying though, I'm a military aviator doing my Staff Tour (get to fly a desk for a couple of years). Know about bad habits such as too steep climb outs, not lining up your approach properly, etc. Did have the common sense and buy the ESKY simulator first...flying a RC aircraft is not as easy as it looks. I have probably crashed over $3000 worth of airplanes in the last couple of weeks. Lucky the reset key is not my credit card.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Gale155

Default RE: Wild Hawk good choice?

I'm experienced with full-sized planes as well, and a noob to rc. I would suggest the EZ Hawk if you're going to get a 3-channel, if for nothing else other than the transmitter. Take a look at the throttle control on the one supplied with the Wild Hawk...it's an unconventional design, and therefore probably not a good thing to learn with, or get used to if you think you're going to stick with the hobby. I bought the Hawk Sky as a trainer, and I'm totally impressed with everything but the decals. The EZ Hawk is the same plane, minus the rudder servo and associated hardware.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:11 AM
opjose

I agree.

Also the EZ Hawk has full ailerons, so what you learn translates better to other aircraft.

It's taken over the top spot in my recommendations for "go it alone, beginner's planes".

Old 03-15-2010, 04:24 PM
drhlau

Thanks for the advice GALE155 and OPJOSE!

Have been flying my beloved Hog very well on the simulator. It's ALOT harder than flying the real thing (I'm a Hog Driver). Events happen alot faster and you lose orientation of the aircraft very easily.

If I by-passed the EZ Hawk, spent an extra $20 buck and got the brushless A-10...Am I asking for trouble and end up planting it on the first flight? (Even though I have mastered the aircraft on the simulator).

Thanks

HKL
Old 03-15-2010, 04:57 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: drhlau

If I by-passed the EZ Hawk, spent an extra $20 buck and got the brushless A-10...Am I asking for trouble and end up planting it on the first flight? (Even though I have mastered the aircraft on the simulator).
I would recommend you don't bypass the EZ Hawk.

Because it is an aileron plane, you could always equipt the EZ Hawk with a camera etc. later.

The A-10 is an EDF which you should really tackle when you are closer to being an intermediate flyer.

EDF's have their own quirks, problems and idiosyncracies that you have to deal with.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:35 PM
drhlau

EZ Hawk it is!!! Thanks for your insight and expertise!

HKL
Old 03-15-2010, 05:41 PM
Gale155

Thanks for the advice GALE155 and OPJOSE!

Have been flying my beloved Hog very well on the simulator. It's ALOT harder than flying the real thing (I'm a Hog Driver). Events happen alot faster and you lose orientation of the aircraft very easily.

Thanks

HKL
I don't know why Opjose is being so gentle with you...he told me I would probably crash within the first 20-seconds if I tried to fly my very-slow Catalina without first logging some time on a trainer. And the more I read about this rc stuff, the more I'm convinced that he was probably right. Get an EZ Hawk (you can add a rudder servo later, if you want), and be done with it. I'm happy with my Hawk Sky, and I think it will be interesting to fly even after I've mastered it, and have moved on to more advanced planes. Other than the decals, the thing that's a PITA with the EZ Hawk / Hawk Sky is threading the motor wires into the fuselage, but I can help you with that...it's easy once you know the trick to it. Otherwise, it's a very simple build. http://www.nitroplanes.com/ezhael4chrtf.html

Old 03-18-2010, 11:32 PM
foambreaker

Wild Hawk was my first plane and I still like it. It can be repaired easily with CA glue or gorilla glue or epoxy or hot glue. The battery (NiMh) on mine doesn't last long now and it isn't good in wind more than 7-8 mph as it doesn't have powerful controls to overcome gusts. I extended my rudder with a tab made from styrofoam plates and some hot glue. Hot glue is a bit heavy but it works. The EZ Hawk or Hawk Sky should be good as well. I have a Hawk Sky now but I haven't flown it yet, only built it a week ago. The brushless-lipo combo is a lot better with the newer EZ Hawk or Hawk Sky. The Wild Hawk barely has enough power to climb now.  Try to get a couple of extra batteries if you buy the Wild Hawk,  item #   battery7xAA_1300mah
Old 03-19-2010, 12:29 PM
drhlau

gale155, opjose and foambreaker...thank you for your guidance.   I just by chance traded a used  knock-off of the Wild Hawk (or is it the other way around?) called the "Easy Star" for a case of beer from a guy I work with.  It's been glued back in a couple of places but otherwise is in pretty good shape, all electronics included.

Pretty much flies like the model on the simulator. 

Foambreaker-how much did you extend the rudder by? 
Old 03-19-2010, 12:48 PM
opjose

The E-Z star is a Rudder only plane while the EZ Hawk has full ailerons.

The E-Z Start is simple for a novice to fly, but remember it is quite different from a plane with full ailerons.

As such it is the "step before" moving up to an aileron plane.

You'll still want to fly something like the EZ Hawk before moving to something larger or more powerful.

Note: You CAN convert the EZ Start to ailerons, but this takes a good bit of work.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:18 PM
drhlau

Thanks opjose.  I still intend on graded progessions,  just like the program the military uses. I will pass on the Easy Star when the time comes .  I think I will wait until the Hawk Sky gets back on inventory.  
Old 03-19-2010, 01:28 PM
drhlau

yeah...if I plant my primary aircraft as an RC model I'll be buying alot of beers and be the butt of jokes for the next year.  The 15/16 and 18 guys from what I hear have a tougher time since their RC models are alot harder to fly.
Old 03-19-2010, 02:46 PM
foambreaker

Hi. I extended my rudder by 1.5 inches back and 5.5 inches tall. It is directly behind the propeller lined upin thethrust, straight back. It seems to work a lot better. I would say it increases the rudder surface area by 65% more. I have an FPV video from it on youtube.Type eclipser2004 in the search and my vids should come up. If notsearch 'FPV RC Wild Hawk'I am new at this but the video is not too bad (I would say!!) Have Fun
Old 03-20-2010, 01:59 PM
drhlau

Thanks foambreaker!!!  Did you move your Center of Gravity  forward as well?  The aircraft flies decently now.  The CG is almost at the center of the chord.  I've read some posts recommending moving the CG to about 1/3 aft of the leading edge and other posts saying to leave the CG  as is. 

P.S.  Did you leave your elevators stock or did you extend those too?

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-20-2010, 05:12 PM
foambreaker

My elevators are stock. My CG is 80mm aft of the leading edge of the wing. I usually launch with about 1/2 nose up trim but in cruise I have to trim the nose 1/3 trim down. The plane tends to raise the nose a bit sometimes, so this maybe a bit of a tail-heavy CG. I wouldn't have it any further back than that. Maybe 70-75mm back fromthe leading edge would be better actually.The Hawk Sky manual says it should be 58-62mm for it to be ideal. 80mm=8cm=3.15inches (25.4mm=2.54cm=1inch) All my clevises are attached to the first control horn hole - the one closest to the control surface - for maximum deflection.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:48 AM
drhlau

Thanks Foambreaker.!!!   I wrapped measured and wrapped 1oz worth of duct tape around the nose and moved the CG up.  Thanks for the tip!!!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:23 AM
drhlau

Foambreaker,  did  you use a single piece of styrofoam plate or did you double up 2 pieces?  I notice that a single piece is alot thinner than the rudder?

Thanks in advance,

HKL
Old 04-04-2010, 09:36 AM
foambreaker

I used 2 pieces. You could even insert a third, narrower widening stripbetween the 2 outside pieces as a spacer if needed
Old 04-12-2010, 07:56 PM
drhlau

Going for my A-10!!!! 
Passed the Easy Star on today for a case of beer. 
I may crash and burn....the only thing I have going for me is 4k plus some hours in the real thing.   Not exactly the correct way to do things in
RC.

Heck, I'll be back in the real thing in the fall, worse case is I destroy the model
Old 04-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Gale155

Going for my A-10!!!!
Passed the Easy Star on today for a case of beer.
I may crash and burn....the only thing I have going for me is 4k plus some hours in the real thing. Not exactly the correct way to do things in
RC.

Heck, I'll be back in the real thing in the fall, worse case is I destroy the model
Good luck, sir, and thanks for your service to the United States. It's odd how we're "apprehensive" about flying these foamies for the first time - I've yet to fly either of mine due to wind (at least that's my excuse). I ordered a co-axial chopper from Nitroplanes recently, so I could have something to fly in my tree-studded back yard. I was on the side of the house that was shielded from the wind, yet managed to break a part that goes between the flybar and the top rotor during the first flight. Pretty proud of myself though...I achieved an altitude of about six-inches for a few minutes.

Keep us posted on your A-10 maiden.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:57 AM
drhlau

Thanks GALE155.  Just recieved the airplane yesterday.  I'll keep you posted. 

-HKL-