Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Girl hit by RC Heli!!!!UPDATE!!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Helicopter General Discussions Discuss RC Helis here. Nitro, gas, turbine and any make, model or brand not having its own specific forum below!

Girl hit by RC Heli!!!!UPDATE!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:38 PM
molokaiboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Girl hit by RC Heli!!!!UPDATE!!

We are collecting funds on HeliFreak for this person and her family.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=208576

Donation sent!

UPDATE!!http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=210068

Here is a snip from the AMA website, that cast a different light still!

Quote:
An incident occurred April 16th when an AMA member who was flying a 450-size electric helicopter in a Tampa, FL, public park lost control of the model and injured a young woman walking in the park. It appears that after calling 911, the pilot and his friends stayed with the injured person until EMTs arrived, then picked up their equipment and left. The local authorities will probably cite the men for ignoring a local ordinance against flying in that park.

This is an unfortunate incident that casts a cloud over what we do as model aviation enthusiasts. The local FOX News affiliate picked up on the story and ran a piece that included video that, by most standards, could be considered pretty graphic.
The potential for collateral harm to all of us as a result of this incident is significant. I’ve been asked a number of times whether or not the pilot and his friends involved were AMA members. In the end I’m not sure it matters. The news piece didn’t say, “Park visitor injured by AMA member (or non-AMA member) flying a model helicopter.†It said, “Park visitor injured by toy model helicopter.†The non-modeling public that watched that news story will now have a negative perception of model aviation and question the safety of our models. To complicate matters further, the incident occurred in a major metropolitan community park system that already had a ban on flying models. This incident will reverberate throughout the country and, no doubt, will become a topic of discussion with authorities of other park systems. AMA has many chartered clubs that have operated safely for years in local parks, and we are watching closely to make sure that we do what we can to support our members and clubs that may be challenged now as a result of this incident.

However, what follows is the reason I decided to write this column. I’ve been a modeler for a long time. In all of those years, other than regarding the frequency reallocation issue a couple of decades ago, I don’t think I’ve ever seen the aeromodeling community come together as it has with this situation.

AMA has an internal response plan for incidents like this. We were notified of the accident by an officer of the International Radio Controlled Helicopter Association (IRCHA), one of AMA’s Special Interest Groups. This triggered our response, which included working with IRCHA to identify a local responsible, articulate, RC helicopter pilot, Rolando Perez, who could speak on camera. AMA’s public relations manager spoke with Mr. Perez to go over significant points that should be made regarding AMA’s Safety Code and record. In addition, our PR manager spoke directly with the FOX reporter, by phone about model aviation and all of the positive aspects of modeling. A statement was issued by AMA.

At the same time, modelers from 33 states and 14 countries – some AMA members and some not – came together on popular Internet forums to express their concern over the incident and what had happened to this young woman. An initiative was even launched to generate donations to help offset expenses. Members of the local RC helicopter community made the effort to ensure that the local media were made aware of all of the positive aspects of model aviation and the value we bring to communities. As a result, in a short follow-up piece FOX News spoke about the positive “groundswell†of reaction from the “national modeling community†and the concerns expressed by modelers. Go to http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/new...raft-operators to see this coverage.
The mother of the young woman expressed gratitude for the outpouring of support she has received from concerned aeromodelers.

Sometimes it takes something like this to make everyone realize that the common denominator between all of us is model aviation. It doesn’t matter what type of model we fly, or maybe even whether or not we are all AMA members. While it was a terribly unfortunate incident, it provided us with the opportunity to show that the majority of us are responsible, safety-conscious individuals, and that we are protective of what we do as model aviators. And this is why I wrote this column. Out of a bad incident came a lot of good. The public has now had the opportunity to see the positive in what we do and that we are a caring, concerned group. The efforts by everyone here will pay some dividend somewhere. It was a good job by all. And because of the actions of everyone involved in reacting to this accident, I think I’ve maintained my string of writing about the positive things that aeromodeling has to offer.
See you next time…

Dave Mathewson, AMA President

Can you believe it was a 450? I may need to reconsider my whole thought pattern now!

http://www.modelaircraft.org/aboutam...iAccident.aspx
Aloha,
Les
Old 04-21-2010, 10:54 PM
phillyD

Default RE: Girl hit by RC Heli!!!!UPDATE!!

Yea Gentlemen
Keep this at the top.
Cheers
Old 04-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Solman

What happened?
Old 04-23-2010, 07:33 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

A couple of idiots were flying in a public park where they shouldn't have been and hit a teenage girl with looked like a 600 size electric. It was plastered all over the Tampa news stations. Then instead of manning up they left the scene like cowards.

True details are hard to discern but hopefully the girl will be ok and it will make some people think what they are risking when they decide to ignore the safety code and risk hurting bystanders.

Unfortunately these are the types that once they go get a law passed banning the things just drop helis and move on to ATV's or whatever while the life long hobbiest are out of luck.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Solman

I saw the video and it looked like he was carrying something that looked like in the 600 range.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:23 PM
davidgeorge212

I just looked at the you tube vidoe of it as well. She looked to be in very rough shape as far as all those cuts to her legs and all those stiches to her head. Oww! that had to of hurt. I wish people who dont fly at designated flying feilds would just make more conscious decisions and become more aware of their surroundings. Just dont fly around crowds of people in a public park.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:15 PM
BarracudaHockey

AMA doesn't sanction fields.

Some follow up information is in order.

It appears (from reading the Tampa news media reports) that at least one or two of those involved called for assistance, and rendered first aid and did not leave the scene until EMS took over.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:40 AM
Solman

It is possible to fly at parks. You just have to look at where the people are and stay away. If you can't do it safely, then land it. I've had to do that many times because the conditions were not safe and had to fly another day. From looking at the video, it looks like one heli was way too big to be flown in a park.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:28 PM
midntpumkin

you need to check your town ordinance, every town is different. if you join a club then you have or sometimes have a field to fly or may need to travel to a designated field . because of these stupid idiots i can bet alot of town fields will be shutting there doors to airplane and helis and probably cars and trucks . way to go idiots[sm=punching.gif]
Old 04-27-2010, 01:23 AM
Solman

ORIGINAL: midntpumkin

you need to check your town ordinance, every town is different. if you join a club then you have or sometimes have a field to fly or may need to travel to a designated field . because of these stupid idiots i can bet alot of town fields will be shutting there doors to airplane and helis and probably cars and trucks . way to go idiots[sm=punching.gif]
Not likely, but they would be prone to enforce the park rules.

Old 04-27-2010, 10:59 PM
KCinNC

got a link to this video ?
Old 04-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Solman

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/new...icopter-042010
Old 04-27-2010, 11:27 PM
Solman

I just watched the video again and noticed something. They said that her dad is deployed in the Air Force. So that means they have Tricare which is military health insurance. The mother mentions about hefty medical bills, but Tricare will cover most of it.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:35 PM
poison

ya that goes to prove its to risky to fly at a park were people can be hurt speacialy 500 size helicopters I love this hobby and hate to see people get hurt and specialy when idots do things to give us a bad rep its not rc helicopters fault but peoples bad judgement
Old 05-05-2010, 05:38 PM
IAMKAOS

i just watched the news video on you tube. i cannot believe those guys were flying in a public park!. it was a public park?..... what if that would have been larger glow powered heli ....wow!.. i bet a lawsuit is on the back burner.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:58 PM
BarracudaHockey

It was a 50 size electric, whats the difference?
Old 05-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Solman

ORIGINAL: BarracudaHockey

It was a 50 size electric, whats the difference?
A 50 size helicopter would be about the same size as a Trex 600. That is way too big to be flying in a park. My 450 is a 28.5" blade span with 325 mm blades. I believe the 50 size uses something like a 600 mm blades. You do the math.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:24 AM
IAMKAOS

i am a city employee . we have and maintain several parks. during the day these parks are used by the gerneral public. flying any kind of rc planes and especially helis in a public park is crazy!. that would not be allowed in any of our parks. there are rc clubs for that or find a remote area somewhere. whether that was a city, county or state park those people could sue the park owners for allowing rc flying there costing the taxpayers lots of money because i've seen this happen with other incidents!. this new generation of knuckleheads do not think or care about what their doing. i know because i have run in to these type of people. i found a guy flying a radical 3-d heli in one of our parks while a preschool class was playing soccer yards away. when i politley ask the guy to cease flying and started to point out the danger all i got was back lip with a new york accent stating he was not hurting anything, he was there first!, he was a taxpayer.... all kinds of mental midget excuses why he could fly there.
years ago our city was sued by the parents of teenage kids who were on city governed property that was posted with signs with various warnings. they were drinking and driving a car at a high rate of speed at night and drove the car thru a metal guard rail into a canal killing all but one of them. i believe there were 4 in the car. this case is still going on today. some parents have been awarded a settlement. why?...because the guard rail did not have reflective tape on it !!!!!....but there was big reflective warning sign there that they plowed thru. the survivor admiited they were so drunk and going so fast they did not see the sign until it was to late and the city still got sued!.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:16 AM
Solman

I know all to well of the knucklehead lawsuits. My parents went thru that when a motorcycle speeding at night hit them with such impact, that it spun their car. After he was done with them, he tried to sue the city for more money even though it was clear he was speeding.
Old 05-06-2010, 11:27 AM
molokaiboy

Unfortunately in my opinion the pilots involved in this accident were in the wrong. No matter if it was an accident or something failed on the model; all could have been avoided if they had followed the city ordinance prohibiting such activity in the park, and if they had used common sense and not fly there aircraft in such a crowded public area. I fly at parks all the time, however the biggest model I ever use is my 450, a mini swift, or a flat foamie. But even with those the minute kids come around or it starts to get traffic at the park, I land and start packing up. Yeah its a bummer, but not as much of a bummer if I hit and injure someone or damage someones property.

It is sad when people have to pay for others ignorance.

Well hope Maresa recovers quickly and this unfortunate accident never be repeated.

Aloha,
Les
Old 05-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Solman

ORIGINAL: molokaiboy

Unfortunately in my opinion the pilots involved in this accident were in the wrong. No matter if it was an accident or something failed on the model; all could have been avoided if they had followed the city ordinance prohibiting such activity in the park, and if they had used common sense and not fly there aircraft in such a crowded public area. I fly at parks all the time, however the biggest model I ever use is my 450, a mini swift, or a flat foamie. But even with those the minute kids come around or it starts to get traffic at the park, I land and start packing up. Yeah its a bummer, but not as much of a bummer if I hit and injure someone or damage someones property.

It is sad when people have to pay for others ignorance.

Well hope Maresa recovers quickly and this unfortunate accident never be repeated.

Aloha,
Les
I do the same at my parks. I don't always pack up, but usually wait a few minutes to see if they are just passing thru. We were at a soccer field a week ago and a guy shows up with two young kids right in our flying area. We informed him of the potential danger and he took his kids to play somewhere else. He had no clue as to what he was stepping into.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Diatomix

Wow!No way! Im new here and i just saw this topic. Ilive in tampa! Why would they fly in a public park like this, especially around here, very crowded area for parks.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:01 AM
IAMKAOS

i hope not but like i mentioned earlier i can smell a lawsuit pending. if a shady lawyer can prove the park owners were aware of the flying there they can sue them and from what i understand watching the videos this flying goes on in that park reguarly. as i mentioned in my earlier post about the teenage kids in the car!!!!.....that suit is still going on and that happened years ago. since that last post one of my co-workers in one of our parks found a guy flying a foam ep plane around people having a luncheon. he lost control of the plane and flew it into the top of a tree. no one was hurt but from what i understand the plane flew over the crowd at least twice. even being a foam ep plane imagine that plane hitting someone in the face or head!!!!
Old 05-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Mr Ammo

Unfortunately AMA membership provides a false sense of responsibility. As we understand it all three are AMA members.
We have attended club sanctioned events around the nation and observed violations in the Safety Standards, I am not sure why we turn a blind eye to these rules yet they are ignored. Again, the false sense of security. We are custodians to a great sport. We are expected to be great instructors and inforcers of rules and regulations, and lastly be Accountable