Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 02:25 PM
raubold
My Feedback: (156)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: NEW DLE 20cc Gasser! (Data & Links 1st Post)

someone used one of these yet ?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=771291

I ordered one, good idea i think
Old 08-10-2011, 03:06 PM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: raubold

someone used one of these yet ?
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=771291

I ordered one, good idea i think
Those were just described in this thread about 4 pages back (pg 167).
Cool idea....if ya really need one.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:41 PM
Ernie Misner

AAAAh, a T in the line to the carb. Perfect, and it won't flood the engine like a glow carb would, right?

Thanks,

Ernie
Old 08-11-2011, 01:05 AM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The very nature of a petrol engine carb requires a vacuum on the diaphragm to draw in fuel. You won't flood it by over filling, the fuel just flows out fo the tank via the vent line.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:22 AM
jsallade

I have some planes in which I do the vent line loop and others (most) where I don't. Other than when I am sitting on the ground doing something where the plane is inverted, I have never seen an issue where my vent line actually siphoned out more than a few drops of gas. If I'm going to be doing something like that, I just drain the tank before I start. Not saying it can't happen but it's not something I get concerned about or see happening often. In flight, it's hard to imagine how it would do more than lose a few drops as the tank is constantly sloshing around and a siphon is unlikely to happen for very long. Is this a really big problem? A few drops out of a tank that runs my DLE 20 motor for 20 minutes plus doesn't bother me much. It sounds like something that is an issue/solution in theory but in practice I just haven't seen it.
Old 08-11-2011, 06:53 AM
bgw45
My Feedback: (1)

I may be doing the vent loop wrong. I run the vent line looped to the back of my tanks ( on top of the tank). The reason I'm doing it at all is to keep the tank from siphoning on downlines. I have never considered the inverted thing. What am I missing?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:26 AM
raptureboy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would agree here, I have seen no need to put a loop in the vent line, it just does not drain out during flight to any significant amount. I just run the pump in reverse for a few seconds after filling the tank to lower it below the vent tube in the tank and it's good to go. only if I stand the plane on it's nose does it leak out. Just my opinion based on my observaations. If your fuel filter is in the tank and you fill through a T you are pushing fuel through the filter and forcing dirt back through it. I would use a 3rd line or a inline filter between the T and the carb.
Old 08-11-2011, 03:43 PM
littlejohn

Does anyone use Sta-Bil fuel additive in their gas engines ?
Old 08-11-2011, 04:40 PM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: littlejohn

Not me.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:06 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ahicks

ORIGINAL: littlejohn

Not me.
Neither do I !
Old 08-11-2011, 05:47 PM
jedijody
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why add more alcohol (isopropyl) to your gas?
Old 08-11-2011, 07:15 PM
littlejohn

thanks
Old 08-11-2011, 07:38 PM
raubold
My Feedback: (156)

Stop believing in The Miracle in a Bottle, does not work in Cars Airplanes Boats or else, i call them sales B.S, just don't mix to much so it does not deteriorate due to age. One reason i use 100 LL, it does not break down as fast with other liveable down sides (lead) but i can crank the high timing and it smells better. (like a race car). No real advantage but lasts a whole lot longer in storage thru weather or winter.
Michael
PS: just choices.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:16 PM
zoaartcc

Help needed I have two(2) DLE20 engines. One (1) Runs great the other has only five (5) flights on it and it started having idle problems. I cut the throttle and it takes 15 to 20 seconds to idle down if it does at all. If I reduce the idle setting on the radio it will idle down and quit. I have checked the throttle servo it is good. Checked the gaskets and internal filter in the carb all good and clean. Checked the  diaphragm pump gasket it seems to be good no visible pin holes or wrinkles. checked fuel lines outside tank all good and secured with wire.

Has anyone come across this issue and what did you find that I may be missing?

Thanks for any advice, out of ideas!!!

Dan
Old 08-11-2011, 11:25 PM
TimBle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: jedijody

Why add more alcohol (isopropyl) to your gas?

Typically not a good practise but there is benefit if the gasoline has been stored for long periods and has started to oxidise forming gums. HOwever if the fuel is stored appropriately theres no problem with fuel being 6 months old and still on specification and useable.
If you're using premium gasoline as your base fuel and you're using a decent 2 stroke oil then you have all the necessary ingredients already supplied in the additives in both those products to fend of oxidation.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:34 AM
a1pcfixer
My Feedback: (7)

Dan,

Read the past dozen or so pages in this thread....-or- this thread " DLE 20 idle too fast"
Old 08-12-2011, 08:56 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: zoaartcc

Help needed I have two(2) DLE20 engines. One (1) Runs great the other has only five (5) flights on it and it started having idle problems. I cut the throttle and it takes 15 to 20 seconds to idle down if it does at all. If I reduce the idle setting on the radio it will idle down and quit. I have checked the throttle servo it is good. Checked the gaskets and internal filter in the carb all good and clean. Checked the diaphragm pump gasket it seems to be good no visible pin holes or wrinkles. checked fuel lines outside tank all good and secured with wire.

Has anyone come across this issue and what did you find that I may be missing?

Thanks for any advice, out of ideas!!!

Dan
Try going richer on the low speed needle. I'd suggest 1/4 turn at first to see if that's the problem. If that does it, re-tune from there.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:17 PM
zoaartcc

Thanks all for the fast feedback on he idle problem. Iam out to the shop to try setting the throttle low end setting and see if this works. Fingers crossed....

Update: Worked on the idle today and made a lot of progress. First thing I did was to check the idle set screw and Wow! it was out 5.5 turns so I started the whole process over stetting the Hi to 1.25 out and the Lo to 1.5 out. Engine fired right up. Did a little Hi end adjustment to get peak power then went to idle engine came right down as it should and all seems to be doing what it was supposed to now idles around 1600. Thanks to everyone for the help. Now to get back to the flying field.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:17 PM
mesaflyer

First, I want to pass on a big Thank You to Jody at Valley View. I have never talked with him, just e-mails. He has gone above and beyond the norm in helping me with my DLE 20 (and another engine I have).

I recently ran my engine a little warm (ok, HOT) because it did not have enough air flow, the engine died and the plane made a hard landing/crash. I'll make another post when I get a chance that has pictures of what happened. The plane is back together, but more importantly, with Jody's help, I installed a new piston, ring, and spark plug. I also cleaned out the carbon build up in the head area. So I needed to run a tank thru it on the ground at low idle. While doing this, the engine jumped up in rpm's all by itself. I have read several people stating the rpm won't drop to idle right away, and that is what mine was doing from day one. I could almost tune it so that it did not have this problem, but it still did it. I just learned to land the plane knowing that this will happen. Anyway, while running the engine at low rpm's, I had my son make a video of the rpm change. You will see that when making small throttle-up adjustments with the trim tab, the throttle will jump up over 1000 rpm's. When adjusting the throttle trim back down, the rpm will jump back down. The engine in the video is not tuned for flight. The needles are set at 1 1/2 out on the high, and 1 turn out on the low.

Here is the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdZl4...el_video_title

I'm not complaining here, I love this little engine. Pulls my GP Extra 300 around beautifully. I just wanted people to see the rpm thing that is caused by the weird ignition timing curve. It's also hard to tell, but the rpm's drop real fast after the last throttle down adjustment is made. It does it all by itself.

Oh, and it looks like I am dangerously close to the prop with the transmitter, but it's just camera angle.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:28 PM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ran my dle 20 for the first time last night. I ran my old 14x7 3 blade just because I had it and wanted to see how much more rpm I could get over my last engine, the YS 91 FZ. The YS peaked the prop at 9300 rpm. The dle was peaked at 10,500 rpm. It was screaming with power. I bought a 15x7 3 blade to try out and I am wondering if I should have went with a 16x8 3 blade. Master Airscrew brand, just to be clear. This engine was incredible right out of the box. If anyone has performance data on the 16x8 3 blade master airscrew please post numbers. I am wondering if I should bother with the 15x7 as I really need a static rpm of about 8500 on the ground. Appreciate any data or advise.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:53 PM
mesaflyer

Here a few pics of my engine. The engine got hot and died and I could not quite make it back to the runway. It sort of pancaked in. Broke the landing gear off. The fiberglass cowl survived, but ripped the cowl mounting screws out of the fuse. The engine mount broke in half (see pic). Installed new piston and ring. Guess this is one tough little engine. I've ran the engine up to 8100 rpm's after running a tank thru it at low idle. No unusual vibration that I can see, or feel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61381.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1648101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71455.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1648102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83852.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1648103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey71390.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	1648104  
Old 08-12-2011, 03:55 PM
mesaflyer

Here's a couple more pics.

Name:	Db85341.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	1648105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94097.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	1648106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72579.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	1648107  
Old 08-12-2011, 04:42 PM
RBean

Spitifire66,

I'm using a 16-8 three blade prop on a DLE 20 in a Hanger 9 Hellcat. Turning about 8,200 rpm. Plenty of power. A 15-8 three blade Graupner prop turns about 8,350 rpm, VQ 60 size Hurricane. More than plenty of powerDLE 20 in the TF Mustang turns a 16-8 two blade 8,550 rpm. Lots of power.

Name:	Ro42057.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	1648118   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29912.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1648119   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl19083.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1648120  
Old 08-12-2011, 04:48 PM
RBean

Keep in mind that with these figures, unloaded in the air any of these props will be turning over 9,000 rpm. I think much more rpm that that is not needed and is unnecessairly hard on the engine. I'm not talking about 3D hovering etc. so for that you may need something different.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Ruddermadness

ORIGINAL: mesaflyer

First, I want to pass on a big Thank You to Jody at Valley View. I have never talked with him, just e-mails. He has gone above and beyond the norm in helping me with my DLE 20 (and another engine I have).

I recently ran my engine a little warm (ok, HOT) because it did not have enough air flow, the engine died and the plane made a hard landing/crash. I'll make another post when I get a chance that has pictures of what happened. The plane is back together, but more importantly, with Jody's help, I installed a new piston, ring, and spark plug. I also cleaned out the carbon build up in the head area. So I needed to run a tank thru it on the ground at low idle. While doing this, the engine jumped up in rpm's all by itself. I have read several people stating the rpm won't drop to idle right away, and that is what mine was doing from day one. I could almost tune it so that it did not have this problem, but it still did it. I just learned to land the plane knowing that this will happen. Anyway, while running the engine at low rpm's, I had my son make a video of the rpm change. You will see that when making small throttle-up adjustments with the trim tab, the throttle will jump up over 1000 rpm's. When adjusting the throttle trim back down, the rpm will jump back down. The engine in the video is not tuned for flight. The needles are set at 1 1/2 out on the high, and 1 turn out on the low.

Here is the link to the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdZl4...el_video_title

I'm not complaining here, I love this little engine. Pulls my GP Extra 300 around beautifully. I just wanted people to see the rpm thing that is caused by the weird ignition timing curve. It's also hard to tell, but the rpm's drop real fast after the last throttle down adjustment is made. It does it all by itself.

Oh, and it looks like I am dangerously close to the prop with the transmitter, but it's just camera angle.

Well good luck with it. I pulled mine off it's not worth loseing a plane over it. Up in the air it runs great but trying to get the idle todrop for a landing is a bear. And if it is the ignition mod how come there not replaceing them for free. It sure seem there's a lot people having the same problem!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.