Community
Search
Notices
Airtronics Support Forum Ask any questions you may have about Airtronics radios and product here and get answers direct from the Airtronics Team.

Servo Burnout

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 02:16 PM
skysfallin
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Burnout

I run a lot of the 94851 high torque metal gear digital servos and had the first one fail. Luckily it was on the throttle and it was just a matter of flying the plane until it ran out of fuel. I run 6volt NIMH batteries to the reciever and servos. Is a fully charged 6 volt battery which is actually about 7.2 or there abouts to much for this set up or should I be using a regulator?
Old 09-09-2010, 06:45 PM
MikeGreenshields

Default RE: Servo Burnout

6.0V direct is OK. Obviously return the servo, I don't think it should have burned out. The one "exception" to that might be if you're using a strong spring as an automatic throttle return (some gas-engine carbs have these springs installed). We highly recommend removing those strong springs (note I am not talking about the lightweight springs found in most hobby glow engines, I'm only talking about the very strong springs sometimes found on the gas engines).
Old 10-17-2010, 07:40 PM
bipeguy03

Okay mike this one peaked my intrest. I'm running 94851 servos also, but I am using 7.2v Lithiums regulated to 6.5v are those okay also?

I do have about 30 good hard flights on my 100 cc bipe and so far they have preformed flawlessy, but I can easily dial down the voltage if it is to much.

James M
Old 10-18-2010, 01:14 AM
MikeGreenshields

On a regulator where you're giving a constant voltage through the entire use, you'll get longer life out of the servos at 6.0V. 6.5V continuous is right at the top of the range of the servo.

If you need more torque for a specifial application that the servo on 6.0V will not provide, I highly recommend the 94780.

Mike
Old 10-20-2010, 03:19 PM
bipeguy03

okay, the torque givin for the 6.0v is 192 oz/in is fine for my application cuase I don't do much 3d mostly just precision.

So I will dial back my reg to 6.0v even, easy enough to do!

Thanks for the help Mike!!