Search
Notices

Bill Hempel 50% Edge 540

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 07:59 PM
stsguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bill Hempel 50% Edge 540

I have a sad story to share but this could be great news for a person with a desire to own one for much less than the 2500 dollar price tag..
I purchased this plane from a man that had a leak in a container a year or so back.

THIS IS A NEW BILL HEMPEL 50% Edge 540 Ver 1 I'm sure. since aluminum gear is on the plane
It is complete less the plastic portion of the canopy which is in stock at Hempel's in clear or tinted.

Now the sad news. The leak dripped on the wing bags of the main wings. It was small however it did do damage. I stripped the main wings and control surfaces to inspect. All the film came off easy except the blue. Besides pulling the film I have done nothing else but inspect the structure for integrity
What I found is this...

Portside wing. Structurally it is fine. however, the sheeting will need to be replaced top and bottom of the main wing...
The control surface has a soft spot on the rounded sheeting on the leading edge of the surface only 6 inches by 4 inches will need to be replaced between the hinges. besides it ok....

Starboard wing... Structurally great... sheeting from leading-edge 9 inches back (Three 3 inch sections wide) the width of the wing. on the top side and bottom, 6 inches down the center was affected.
The control surface is fine.

Being a well-built plane there is a single carbon rod that you slide out from ROOT CHORD to remove ailerons...

If I was doing this project I would just sheet both wings with new balsa But it is not a must.

Now the rest of the Bryd
Elevators look new never got wet
the Cowl 9.5 out of 10 some small marks from moving around.
The fuse is in great shape one small dime size hole in the film on the bottom no damage from moisture

Full set of WING BAGS
in great shape. the wing bags for the main wings are what got damp and what caused the damage. The plane was eyeballed in storage but the water was never seen so the wet main wing bags did not get caught in time.

Missing the plastic for the canopy as mentioned but you can get it.
The pilot is included and small parts like aluminum from the firewall are present.
No Pants or wheels

This will be a great project for someone with more space than I have... and it will be one hell of a plane when complete.
Specs in pics from Bills site.
I just need to find a good home this plane deserves to be rescued

With one or 2 or even 3 evenings work she will be as good as new.

SHIPPING

The big question...
Yes, I will. However, 87 inches is my max via bus I can get this one down to 115 I think to fit safely. So if we can find a shipper ill do the work and build a crate. Please message me with questions
Trades will be considered.
ALSO, I HAVE A RTF 38% Hempel Decathlon with 111 dle Smart fly Power system and Hitech Dig. servos with new covering for sale if interested
Old 03-01-2021, 08:37 PM
why-me
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stsguy
I have a sad story to share but this could be great news for a person with a desire to own one for much less than the 2500 dollar price tag..
I purchased this plane from a man that had a leak in a container a year or so back.

THIS IS A NEW BILL HEMPEL 50% Edge 540 Ver 1 I'm sure. since aluminum gear is on the plane
It is complete less the plastic portion of the canopy which is in stock at Hempel's in clear or tinted.

Now the sad news. The leak dripped on the wing bags of the main wings. It was small however it did do damage. I stripped the main wings and control surfaces to inspect. All the film came off easy except the blue. Besides pulling the film I have done nothing else but inspect the structure for integrity
What I found is this...

Portside wing. Structurally it is fine. however, the sheeting will need to be replaced top and bottom of the main wing...
The control surface has a soft spot on the rounded sheeting on the leading edge of the surface only 6 inches by 4 inches will need to be replaced between the hinges. besides it ok....

Starboard wing... Structurally great... sheeting from leading-edge 9 inches back (Three 3 inch sections wide) the width of the wing. on the top side and bottom, 6 inches down the center was affected.
The control surface is fine.

Being a well-built plane there is a single carbon rod that you slide out from ROOT CHORD to remove ailerons...

If I was doing this project I would just sheet both wings with new balsa But it is not a must.

Now the rest of the Bryd
Elevators look new never got wet
the Cowl 9.5 out of 10 some small marks from moving around.
The fuse is in great shape one small dime size hole in the film on the bottom no damage from moisture

Full set of WING BAGS
in great shape. the wing bags for the main wings are what got damp and what caused the damage. The plane was eyeballed in storage but the water was never seen so the wet main wing bags did not get caught in time.

Missing the plastic for the canopy as mentioned but you can get it.
The pilot is included and small parts like aluminum from the firewall are present.
No Pants or wheels

This will be a great project for someone with more space than I have... and it will be one hell of a plane when complete.
Specs in pics from Bills site.
I just need to find a good home this plane deserves to be rescued

With one or 2 or even 3 evenings work she will be as good as new.

SHIPPING

The big question...
Yes, I will. However, 87 inches is my max via bus I can get this one down to 115 I think to fit safely. So if we can find a shipper ill do the work and build a crate. Please message me with questions
Trades will be considered.
ALSO, I HAVE A RTF 38% Hempel Decathlon with 111 dle Smart fly Power system and Hitech Dig. servos with new covering for sale if interested

I would love to buy this plane. where are you located and maybe I can figure out a way to get it picked up