Community
Search
Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

The SCAMMERS Conquer RCU

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 07:58 AM
pilotfrank
My Feedback: (73)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The SCAMMERS Conquer RCU

I can't believe it, I just posted an ad last night and am getting scammer emails/questions, like "is your item still available for sale kindly get back to me". Now if you've been around the internet and ads you KNOW that "item", "still available" and "kindly" in one sentence is 99.9% a scammer email [:@]
I've gotten plenty in response to craigslist ads but never before here on RCU. Now the scammers don't shy away from registering....sad.
The users just joined, too, and I am wondering if admins can do anything that would at least prevent people from joining and launching 100s of emails to sellers. There should at least be a limit of, say, 5 questions per day for the first 30 days?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:39 AM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: The SCAMMERS Conquer RCU

We are aware of the scammers who joined recently and have banned those who have been reported using the "Report Ad to Moderator" tool available in every ad.

Scammers are present on every site with a discussion and/or buy and sell area. We have a number of tools in place to help weed through many of their attempts to register accounts, but there is no way to prevent them all from creating accounts. Even sites which require new members to provide a valid credit card are infiltrated by those with the determination to do so.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:10 AM
pilotfrank

Ok reporting ads is great but either I don't see it or it's not there, we need a link to report users and/or questions to our ads. Can it be done today? If so, maybe I'm still half asleep or it is not obvious how to do it. Maybe an icon next to the "Email this member" icon in the user profile can be added to report a user as a possible scammer?
Old 07-12-2012, 10:39 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

Please look in the upper left hand area of any ad in the Shoppers Control Panel.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43029.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1781110  
Old 07-12-2012, 10:53 AM
pilotfrank

Yes, I know how to report ADS. What I am asking is the same sort of icon to report USERS which I suggest should be made available on the user profile page next to the email icon.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:57 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

The tool I circled is the one you would use to report a member, or an ad, or any other problem activity going on within the ad.

It is best to have these tools located within the ad itself so that our staff will know exactly where to go to investigate a reported problem. If you were to report a member through an account page, we would then have to go on a hunt to try and find the problem activity in question.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:16 AM
pilotfrank

That explanation makes sense somewhat but it is very un-intuitive that I need to use a link that is labeled "report ad" and the tooltip says "report inappropriate, mis-categorized or offensive ads". I placed the ad myself so I know it's none of the above. I would never think of reporting my own ad, why in the world would I do that?
A link placed close to the question to my ad would be much more intuitive and helpful for me as a seller/legit user trying to report scammers, and since the question is tied to the ad it should also make it easy for you mods to see the ad and the related question that I want to report.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:54 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

I understand why you feel the existing implementation may be a bit unintuitive, but this is the system we have had in place since the site took on this format several years ago. I can also assure you that we receive reports of individual activities within an ad several times a day. Those reports come in large part from the people who placed the ad. It would therefore seem the membership in general understands to use the existing tool to report problems with other members. Note there is an Other option within the tool which provides a free text report of any problem not specifically called out in the other options presented.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:02 PM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Just had an occurrence of a scammer:

Username: rag01
Email: [email protected]

His email googles to attempts to scam others.
Needless to say he just signed up on RCU, no history, no posts.
Beware

Old 07-22-2013, 09:59 AM
JWN
Community Moderators

Thank you for reporting this. We will address the situation.

Please use the "Report Ad to Moderator" link in the future for the fastest response.