Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > MarketPlace questions or problem?
Reload this Page >

Pretty Disgusted with Sellers on RCU

Community
Search
Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

Pretty Disgusted with Sellers on RCU

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 04:17 AM
Taz_Hobbies
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pretty Disgusted with Sellers on RCU

I am just apalled at how many dishonest people there are selling on RCU.
In recent months I have purchased $1000s worth or engines, planes & parts. And I have been taken adavntage of numerous times. Three that really bug me and I just had to vent over...

In Feb, I purchased a Magnum XL-52RFS that was told to be in excellent running condition and only have 4 flights on it. Upon bolting it to my test stand set the way it came from the seller, it drank a 6oz of fuel in 45 seconds while never being able to run below 3500rpm. Clearly it was all just running out the exhaust. After resetting, the carb barrel vibrated out as the retaining screw was not tightened, the o-ring on the needle was torn and it had a standard 2-stroke plug in it. I was frustrated. I took it to a guy who is a local 4-stroke guru. He went thru it, replaced the now missing barrel screw, replaced the o-ring and glow plug and reset teh valves which were way out. When I picked it up, he said there was not a chance this engine had 4 flights on it, he sort of laughed and said more like 4 flights left in it's useful life. I paid him a paltry $20 for his time. The engine never had any guts, although tuned properly it never had any power and would barely pull a 5lb sport plane around. I literally threw the enging in the trash. When I asked the seller about the fact I had to spend an additional $20 to make this engine useable, I was called a scammer and was told I was extorting him!

In May, I purchased a YS Engines FZ110 that was "in excellent condition. Flown very little." This engine while it looked well maintained, came without the lock nut for the prop. I will not run a thumper without the second prop nut. Took a while to get one and thanks to a fellow RCU member, I was back in business. Once mounted in one of my airframes, the engine would never run consistantly. On occassion while on the bench it would clear up and felt very powerful, but would quickly go back to running very erratically, going lean then belching raw fuel out the exhaust, etc. I shelved it for a month or so and then sent it to Richard at YS in Nevada. $140 later and it's fixed up and ready to be used. Crank bearings were rusted hulks, had a bent pushrod, the fuel pump plunger and related parts all had to replaced. I just contacted the seller to just let him know what shape the engoine was really in.

In June, I purchased a OS 61 RF for a Midwest .60 Super Hots project I started. This engine was descreibed to be in "excellent condition" and teh seller boasted "it runs Fantastic on a 12/11 APC Prop". I was excited to have a hot rod .61 for my Super Hots. Had the motor in the box that I paid to have shipped to me for about a month before I opened it. Open opening the box, the engine was a rusted hulk. Frozen solid, the fresh plier marks on the prop hub lead me to believe the seller had tried to turn the engine over before shipping it. This thing was a waste of time & money. It looked like it hadn't been run in 10 years and only after my emails to him did he admit that the engine hadn't been run in a long time! Then when I ask him to absorb the return shipping, since I already paid to have this corroded hulk shipped to me, he refused! Then he proceeded to lie and make up his side of the story that I flew the engine and crashed it and that was the reason for the damage!!! LOL! This engine wouldn't run to fly in anything.

Photo - you tell me, does this look like a healthy fantastic running, excellent engine? Or does it look like this engine was in a salt water boat! LOL!

I am amazed at how people treat others in this hobby. I am frustrated and I cannot believe how people sell this kind of junk, then turn the story around and blame the buyer! You tell me... did someone fly this engine and cause this damage? Maybe it flew in 1990, but not in this decade!

Sorry for the rant, just really frustrated with people.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:08 AM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Pretty Disgusted with Sellers on RCU

I am sorry you have had a run of bad luck with sellers as of late. I can only offer that RCU is not the only place where buyers have reported problems with sellers, and vice versa. I browse several other forums, some RC related and some not, and I see these types of issues on a nearly daily basis. This is unfortunately the risk one takes when engaging in a transaction with an unknown 3rd party for a used item. Especially one such as an engine.

Also please understand it is not permissible to call out specific members in the forums in relation to a marketplace transaction. For this reason, your post has been edited to remove the links to the items in question.

Thank you for your understanding.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Duplicator41
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you use Paypal in your transactions. That would provide a measure of protection. Also excellent to one person may not mean excellent to you. Not that I'm excusing the junk you ended up with. Iwould highly recommend that the seller provides you with lots of images on future purchases. And yeas you are correct, there are unscrupulous people out there. Be sure to give them the appropriate rating.

Cheers,
Old 09-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Taz_Hobbies

ORIGINAL: JWN

I am sorry you have had a run of bad luck with sellers as of late. I can only offer that RCU is not the only place where buyers have reported problems with sellers, and vice versa. I browse several other forums, some RC related and some not, and I see these types of issues on a nearly daily basis. This is unfortunately the risk one takes when engaging in a transaction with an unknown 3rd party for a used item. Especially one such as an engine.

Also please understand it is not permissible to call out specific members in the forums in relation to a marketplace transaction. For this reason, your post has been edited to remove the links to the items in question.

Thank you for your understanding.
I wasn't calling anyone out and I didn't intend to include any links that I was aware of. I just copied the actual name of the item from my offer list. I was simply going thru the list and grabbed some recent notable transactions. Really didn't pay attention that they were somehow live links. Sorry.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Taz_Hobbies

An update on one of the engines.

The seller that sold me the YS 1.10FZ has stepped up to the plate and reimbursed me for the repair bill at YS!
That is a stand up guy right there...!