Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > MarketPlace questions or problem?
 What exactly am i paying for???? >

What exactly am i paying for????

Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

What exactly am i paying for????

Old 09-11-2003, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exactly am i paying for????

I know that if you subscribe for like 2 bucks a month you get a gallery and no insertion fees on auctions and classifieds but is that it?? If so, then 2 bucks is not worth it at all.

Personally i think the Classifieds should be free anyway. Now less people are going to want to sell their stuff less people are going to buy because everything on there is NIB.
Old 09-11-2003, 07:30 PM

Default RE: What exactly am i paying for????

I noticed a Full page add in RCCA this month.It looks like they are trying to get more people to sell hear and make more $$ by doing so more people will sell/trade here and maybe then the price will go down even lower.Or they will raise it even higher who knows.....
Old 09-11-2003, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: gmac4826

I know that if you subscribe for like 2 bucks a month you get a gallery and no insertion fees on auctions and classifieds but is that it?? If so, then 2 bucks is not worth it at all.
2 bucks is alot of money. I know.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:28 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I realize that you are the Admin, but you should be expected to abide by the same rules as us lowly users. You and the other Admins have deleted threads where comments were less than positive. Your sarcastic reply (IMO) is neither called for nor appreciated. I'm sure you'll delete my reply, because I called you on this issue and you don't want other users to see it. However, if it gets deleted, I will know that you have indeed read it and therefore my message got through to you.

Doug aka 7th Angel
Old 09-11-2003, 10:10 PM

7th Angel,

I have to agree, the admins response was sarcastic, and if we posted it about RCU it would magically disappear.

If 2 bucks if no consequence to him, then why is he charging it in the first place...hmmmmm?
Old 09-11-2003, 10:15 PM
Banned

To some it is alot and others it isn't. By all the complaining here on RCU by sellers (since everything else is on RCU is free like the forums, buying, product guide and other stuff) I am actually saying that $2 must be alot of money to some otherwise they would not complain, right?
Old 09-11-2003, 10:26 PM
My Feedback: (1)

RCadmin
RC Universe

Man this is great! Good reply!

It's not the two bucks. If it were 10 cents or two hundred bucks, it's wrong. What you're saying is that it's a commercial business, for profit. I think thee are an awful lot of people that remember when there were no pop-ups, when there was no spam, when the internet still hadn't been raped, even before internet. Remeber the hobby? You guys claim to be hobbiest. I've snn the words "run by R/Cer's about a dozen times here. You guys may know how to fly or drive these things, but you've completely forgotten what the hobby and community was about. The advertisers can pay our way. and they can be corraled into they own ad pages. We could reference those pages at OUR will.

R/C used to be about giving to the fellow hobbiest, not charging him for the help you offer to fix his engines or something.

Ok, so you weren't making enough off of donations... what happened to 12 pages of little banners that you charge at leaast $150 each per month? That wasn't enough to cover expenses? Now we have an ad in our face every time we click something?

Wrong. Some people may be young enough that they don't know the difference? Are these the ones which will carry this place and event?

Mark
Old 09-11-2003, 10:34 PM

Marc (AKA) RCadmin,

nice try at an out, but your first response to 7th angel certainly appears to fit what he interpreted from it, not what you claimed in your response.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:04 PM

I noticed the ad in RCCA also but i dont understand why people are paying 2 bucks a month for free instertions. No one except for Hobby Shops sells enough stuff in a month to benifit from that. What was that about built by RCer's for RCer's?? It seems to me that its built by people that want money for people that have money to spend. And i still believe the classifieds sould be free.
Old 09-12-2003, 08:19 PM
WLJ
My Feedback: (108)

What I'm having trouble with is, if for 14 days there is no insertion fee for auctions or classified, why is a credit card number required for address verification. If I've misunderstood that, please excuse me.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:09 AM

Its to verify that you are who you say you are, i font think you get charged. Like eBay.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:21 AM
Banned

Correct. It is for fraud control
Old 09-13-2003, 11:50 AM

Although I think your new site is impressive however I dont understand why you took away priveleges that current members had before the merge. The fact that now we have to pay for members photo galleries when we already had them is wrong. We should have been given that since we already had it. I understand about the cost of operations, Since I am a project manager and numbers are everything, but the cost of the upgrade should have been past on to new members, Its just not right and bad business to take away some thing we already had. I know it seriously affects the way i choose the way I spend my money. Money goes to loyalty and I see no loyalty here so keep in mind of how you treat the people you want money from.

Actually after reading the posts above I have to agree that the site should be free in its entirety due to the fact that sponsors do pay for it all or else you wouldnt have them on your site.

And this fraud control thing whats up with that, what are we dealing with here a million dollars. I dont think so for the most part I think that most of the rcers out there can tell if another person is bull#%&ing or not and has the commonsense to deal with that person or not..i think i speak for everyone that I am very leary about who I give my cc# to If its not a reconized established business then forget it.

I'm sorry if I sound angry but I am. And I dont mean to ramble on but come on people dont take advantage of us because you can. because if you make enough of us mad its youre business that will suffer. not us we will go elsewhere
Old 09-13-2003, 01:17 PM

I too feel the need to "Chime In"...The first item to complain about is the fact that all of the old ads are gone...I used the old ads as a guide as to what to pay and how much to charge...Suggestion: Leave the old ads, and if you MUST, because "two (2) dollars is a lot of money", quoted by your ADMIN..., and a little pompous, then start charging from your new start date etc...
I feel that classifieds are a service to the members and should be free. The idea of using a credit card to verify an individual and to help to prevent fraud is a little bit too controlling. e.g. If I am doing business with another member then should it not be his and my responsibility to insure that we are "straight-up" with each other. If I want to purchase from a commercial site, be a dealer, distributor, or manufacturer then it is up to us, not RCU...
I do appreciate your efforts and you do have a great web-site and I will support it but not this way.
Suggestion...Check out www.eham.com. They have a volunteer method of supporting their site by three levels of participation. If you buy or sell in their classifieds they ask you to volunteer to pay and support the site. Check it out...I think this might solve your need for $$$ support and most of the people who check into RCU probably would not object to a volunteer program.
Just my two cents worth, I realize not all will agree and my comments are positive except for the pompous remark about the $2 from your ADMIN...
Jerry
Old 09-13-2003, 01:52 PM

Wait a minute, I don’t see any “privileges” being taken away. What I do see is a couple of things that used to be free they now charge a very small fee for. 95% of the site is totally free. Why shouldn’t we contribute for the privilege of using their servers to post our pictures and the opportunity to sell our stuff to a targeted nation-wide audience of buyers? (Let’s put this in perspective- what’s their small fees compared to how much you spend on this hobby a month?) Sure, RCU should be totally free, lots of things should be, but we don’t have a Star Trek economy yet.

Why do the costs have to be pushed off on just new members (or don’t you want any new members?). Don’t you use RCU just as much or more than they do? Maybe RCU could pay expenses with ads only, if there were enough advertisers that would advertise here, and if we’d put up with twice as many banner ads, but isn’t there enough ads already? To top it off, you guys want the commercial ads shoved off into corner where you don’t have to mess with them. If I was an advertiser you bet I’d have that little stipulation written out of the contract!

Am I disappointed that RCU doesn’t have free classifieds anymore? Sure, but I can deal with it.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:31 PM

ORIGINAL: cchs1964

I feel that classifieds are a service to the members and should be free. The idea of using a credit card to verify an individual and to help to prevent fraud is a little bit too controlling. e.g. If I am doing business with another member then should it not be his and my responsibility to insure that we are "straight-up" with each other. If I want to purchase from a commercial site, be a dealer, distributor, or manufacturer then it is up to us, not RCU...
I have been around since the very beginning of RCOnline. I have seen many complaints from RCO and RCU members over the years complaining that they had been ripped off by some seller, buyer, or trader. In many cases they would go to the administrator and ask for help in resolving the issue. If the administrator was not able to resolve the issue, that same person would complain that RCO or RCU was running allowing a scam artist to operate in the forums and would not do anything about it.

Of course we as modelers should be able to trust others o these boards to do the right thing but it does not always happen. If one of us should lose $500 in a deal gone bad, we are going to want all the help we can get to resolve the issue. When it is not resolved, some of us want to place the blame on the most convenient scapegoat, the administrator of the board.

Marc has tried to come up with a way to minimize the chances of scam artists taking advantage of RCU members. The only other option that I see for his is to place a disclaimer on the board to the effect, "RCUniverse provide the Marketplace strictly as a service to is members and will not take any responsibility or action if a member does not receive the monies or goods resulting from a transaction nor will it get involved in resolving matters of this nature." How would that appear to prospective users of the Marketplace? Even if the disclaimer were on the page, there would be those who would want to sue RCU for allowing a bad transaction to take place.

I think you can see that providing this service places Marc and Michael and the administrators in a predicament. They are doing the best they can with the option that they are offering. With this type of trading community, there is no foolproof option but I am sure they chose what they consider to be the best option for all those concerned.
Old 09-13-2003, 02:34 PM

Yep,

Well, I'm not buying... I'm building.

This is so simple.. If you go back to your first pile of sticksor nuts and bolts, they taught you mechanical techniques, and useful thoughts of design, and control characteristics, that was called hobby. The true pioneers of our hobbies believed it was to be handed down, taught, and cherished. Did they tell the new kid to go find money so he could belong? No. Did they tell their fellow veterans they'd have to pay to partake? No.
So it all comes down to the same thing that's happened to all the rest of our rights throughout history. Somebody decides to turn to capitalism and the population makes a choice. With each turn of events, more of our cherished rights and ideals are lost just a little more, due to this gradual conditioning and waining memory, with more and more middle men trying to get their hand in pockets. Remember that choice we just made. We'll continue making choices until we finally pay too much for a new car, a pair of jeans, or things that should have remained free on the internet or in our hobby.
Try to remember where we were just a couple short weeks ago. Try to remember where we still are if a 12 year old approaches us for help in this hobby. I'm not going to sell him a radio system or a battery pack... I'll probably try to find him a free one to start out with. And once he's enjoying the hobby he'll go spend tons of money at the hobby store. And the manufacturers won't be sending me a kickback or cutting him some slack on a price.
There's a ton of money being make here, whether you believe it or not. Advertising pays nicely. No I'll just keep building, not buying. Stop by.

Mark
Old 09-13-2003, 03:24 PM
Banned

RCU is a business
Tower Hobbies is a business
Horizon Hobby is a business
Ezone/RC Groups is a business
Runryder is a a business
Hobby Lobby is a business
Traxxas is a business
HPI Racing is a business
RCM Magazine is a business.
RC Report is a business
Airage Publications (MAN, RCCA) is a business.
Ace Hobby is a business.
Global Hobby is a business.

The remark above that I had enough ads to cover expenses is not why I spend 80 hours a week running RCU. I have to cover my hosting expenses, pay the people who sell the ads, pay the people who program to keep the site up then after those expenses are paid I have to eat otherwise I do not exist. I have to feed my wife. I have to feed my son. I have to provide shelter to them. I would hope to get a vacation sometime since I've had only 1 in 2 years now (my son appreciates that I will tell you all).

So if you don't agree with the fact that somebody is entitled to profit for all their hard work, time and risk then I cannot do anything about it. This is a fundamental philosophical difference "some" users will either deal with or go somewhere else where the owners have no ads, have free photo galleries and cover expenses. There are many of those out there but RCU is not going to be one of them. If I have to work like this and pay others and survive to serve members for years to come RCU must and will be run as a business.

If you cannot fathom this concept please don't complain anymore about it. Just find a site that is aligned with the fact that you feel the owners should work to cover expenses and work for free and when they grow to 50,000 users I'm sure they will dedicate all their time and money to supporting the site without compensation. It just won't be me.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:28 PM
My Feedback: (117)

Amen and WELL SAID!