Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

Do you like the new format?

Old 09-11-2003, 10:39 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you like the new format?

Is it just me or does R.C.U. suck now? It is so hard to navaigate through the classifieds that ebay has become my place to shop. What's everyone else think? Pete
Old 09-11-2003, 10:51 PM

Default RE: Do you like the new format?

I think this thread will be deleted in less than an hour. (Since the head honcho's here don't like people complaining about it in an open matter) What the heck, its free, I guess we'll have to live with it. If you change your settings to the "flat style" it's much better. I just HATE the new email system. I get like 100 new messages an hour now. I wish we could be notified like the old RCU!!!

Guess I'll just have to unsubscribe to ALL threads.
Old 09-11-2003, 10:59 PM
My Feedback: (24)

I'm not going to delete it, I'm just going to send it to the appropriate forum........ (don't think I spelled apprpreiate correct though, can't wait for that spell checker. )
Old 09-12-2003, 02:49 AM

dont like the smiley`s!
stull no spilchucker!
no photo icons on the forum thread page!
dont like the colours!( i liked the old blue, it was more stimulating)
cant unsubscribe from a thread!
cant stop the e mails from threads!
hate the new smiley`s!
other than that, its ok!!!!!!!!!

(old smiley)ITS FUN TO FLY FUNFLY(old smiley)
Old 09-12-2003, 12:31 PM
My Feedback: (45)

I really like the abuility to post more that one pic..... I'm actually getting email notifications less because of the new thread format... you subscribe to a post instead of a thread.... Is that going to stay like that?
Old 09-12-2003, 01:05 PM
My Feedback: (24)

dont like the smiley`s!
stull no spilchucker!
no photo icons on the forum thread page!
dont like the colours!( i liked the old blue, it was more stimulating)
cant unsubscribe from a thread!
cant stop the e mails from threads!
hate the new smiley`s!
other than that, its ok!!!!!!!!!
[ul][*] The old smileys are available.... Click 'MORE SMILEYS' below the new ones. I would have to agree that the new ones are a little funky.[*] Spellchecker will be in place shortly[*] To unsubscribe from a thread and to unsubscribe from the emails go to either INBOX and click the 'MY SUBSCRIPTIONS' link or in the WELCOME BOX!
[/ul]
Old 09-13-2003, 11:54 PM
My Feedback: (19)

I've only been on here a couple of times since the change. I really was disappointed with the new interface, color, and a few other things. I see that the puke tan has been replaced by good 'ol RCU blue! Great, the blue looks much nicer and is easier on the eyes. I may eventually be the loyal RCU'er that I once was, time will tell. I'm still disappointed that a couple of my favorite moderators were dismissed. I don't think that was fair. I thought they were way better than a few others on here. Also, I can't take advantage of the free classifieds period since I don't have a credit card. You'd think that with my excellent karma rating I could post a classified ad or two during this period. The site still seems really slow to me. Maybe that will get better. So you see, I'm not the happy RCU'er that I used to be.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:00 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wade,

are you on dial up? try to go to MyAccount at the top of every page. In there please disable the dynamic menu header option. That should speed this up for you 10 fold.

Next. Please email me by clicking email button below my post with subject "Missing Moderators". If somebody was lost in the merge that is possibly an error and I have to add them back. I didn't dismiss anyone that was onboard the day before we changed.

Also, we have a check option to post stuff in the marketplace and paypal is coming soon as well. If you have something you need to sell now or urgent include details in your email and I can make arrangements.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:28 AM

I'm on a cable modem and had some slowdowns also. I disabled the menus and it flies now. Is that going to be fixed or is that just the way it is?
Old 09-14-2003, 01:30 AM

I just read the FAQ....nevermind.
Old 09-14-2003, 04:22 AM
My Feedback: (8)

I was very disappointed with the forums at first, but there have been a few changes (color being the most important) that have made things better. I really like the way the pictures work in the classifieds and auctions, but the old RCU was MUCH easier to browse the marketplace. The way the market place is setup now is great for a LARGE site with a lot of junk, but RCU doesn't have much (if any) junk in the market place. I used to browse my 4 favorite classified forums for things that would catch my eye, now I can't. When I want something specific, I just use search. I don't like the forums to be setup too specific, it makes browsing too difficult.

While it's nice to see how many times a post has been revised, I don't think that should be a tool that anyone can use. I feel that only moderators should be able to check the revised post. I see problesm when it comes to prices being changed and things that get put into a post in haste. I liked the feture the old RCU had where if you changed a post within so many minutes after it was made it didn't show that the post was edidted at all.
Old 09-14-2003, 07:34 AM
My Feedback: (19)

Marc,
Yes, I'm on dial-up. I sent you an e-mail about the stuff you addressed.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:13 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: RS2K

I used to browse my 4 favorite classified forums for things that would catch my eye, now I can't. When I want something specific, I just use search. I don't like the forums to be setup too specific, it makes browsing too difficult.

You can now browse over entire categories. If you like only giant scale just go like this:

Airplanes -> Giant Scale

It shows ALL items in that category and if you want to filter out by power then you can drill down further or not worry about it.

NOw...never to not listen to members I am now devising a way to make custom classified and/or auction browse lists! So...just like you can choose MyForums you will be able to choose a list of categories you want to see and then we can decide how we want to display them to you in the easiest way. What I need to understand is how come just browsing say Giant Scale, Jets, Aerobatic & 3D wouldn't achieve the same thing that browsing those 3 forums in the old RCU would do. Explain this in detail so I can understand and then I can build the tools needed to customize the behaviour in some way.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:11 AM
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: RCadmin
What I need to understand is how come just browsing say Giant Scale, Jets, Aerobatic & 3D wouldn't achieve the same thing that browsing those 3 forums in the old RCU would do. Explain this in detail so I can understand and then I can build the tools needed to customize the behaviour in some way.
Marc I spent some time in the Marketplace this morning trying to relate to the new format and seeing what sort of things might make it easier to navigate.

A few suggestions:

1. There is no way to mark ads as read. When I go into the marketplace I want to know which ads I haven't seen before, or which ones have new postings on them. This is exactly like looking at a forum. I should be able to quickly see the new ads in bold and then I need to be able to mark that category as read so when I come back later I can see the new ads again. Also if I mark an ad as read in one category and that ad is posted in multiple categories, then it should be marked read in all categories at the same time. I don't want to see it bold in another category when I have already seen that ad.

2. The radio buttons to select 'Show All', 'Kits' and 'ARFs' etc is a good thing. But it doesn't remember them specific to each category. I would like to be able to set this selection specific for each market category I look at. i.e. I want to see 'All' ads in the jets marketplace, but for the 'Warbirds' marketplace I want to only see 'ARFs'. The way it is now I see the same setting for each category and I have to constantly change it each time I go to a new category.

3. When viewing auctions the default sort order doesn't seem to make sense. I know I can click on the column header and change the sort order, but I would think the default should be sorted by the 'close' date with the auctions closer to ending at the top.

4. We absolutely need a 'My Marketplace' the same as the 'My Forums' works. There are a lot of marketplace categories that I have no interest in and they just clutter up the screen and make it harder to get to the ones I do want. If we can subscribe to specific marketplace categories and only see those ones, then this would be much better. I know you are working on this one, but I had to add my vote for it too!

5. Ads listed in multiple categories should be marked somehow. If I go from the Aerobatic category to the Giant category and there is the same ad. I want to know this quickly so I don't have to drill down into the ad to see if it the same item.

6. The watchlist needs some work. I did post my suggestions for the watchlist into the suggestions forum yesterday. Basically we need to separate the classifieds from the auctions in the watchlist and have a better sort order for the items in the watchlist. i.e. auctions in a watchlist should always be sorted in 'close' order so that we can see anything we are interested in that is about to close by simply going to our watchlist. The biggest thing here is to separate the classifieds from the auctions in the watchlist.

7. Get rid of the commercial auctions where the vendor has put something up for auction at retail price. They are basically paying a very small fee for advertising this way and it needs to be stopped. IMHO it is an abuse of the system.

Bottom line is if we can have a 'My Marketplace' that allows us to subscribe to categories and we can then have the ads trackable then we are a long way towards making this solution much more workable and the people that want it just the way it was, will have a much closer solution to what they had. Oh yeah and the trackability of the ads must be by username not by PC.

How's that for a few ideas?

One last point. I have been on here for the last few days and every day it keeps getting better. More of the old features are coming back and I am getting more familiar with the new features. People just have to be patient and give it some time.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Banned

great ideas mav and I believe all doable. for those who have been on RCU for some time know I take these ideas and incorporate them. I don't always get it perfect the first time but always change, improve and fix this stuff.

I want to know if these suggestions satisfy Rs2K's requirements or if there is more to add.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:41 AM
My Feedback: (12)

fxstbi,
I agree with you! The best thing they could do is bring back the old RCU! It was a site I would peruse twice a day wheras I only peruse this site when I feel like taking a little abuse.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:26 AM
Banned

Old RCU is never coming back. This is it for the future. Although some don't like it others love it. Those who love it will frequent it and those who find clicking through these forums which are practically identical to the old site a labor will go where it is easier. However, all the other forums don't have the features old RCU had either. Sorry...those were my custom code

BTW..signups are over 2x what they were before launch so that indicates that somebody likes it or they would not hang about.
Old 09-17-2003, 01:38 AM
My Feedback: (8)

Oh yes, can you make it so I have an option to auto subscribe? I never remember to hit the check mark so I thought no one was replying to my post until I went and checked... Then I noticed there is a Notify me via email button that doesn't remember the setting. I looked through my user settings but couldn't find it in there.

Ack I can barely type. I just received two prop "paper" cuts on the ends of my middle fingers..

Oh it would be nice if the archives were working. I search google all the time for RC stuff and half the time I get RCU posts which was a nice thing... untill they stopped working

I liked the My RCU feture of the old RCU where new posts that I was watching showed up on what used to be my home page (My RCU). I got used to using that feature when my old ISP started blocking EVERY email from RCU because they thought it was spam. They couldn't unblock it either.... I tried. I think I just need to get use to MY FORUMS though. Is it possible to put certain market place forums in MY Forums. What I liked about the old RCU marketplace is that the Marketplace was just like the forum.
Old 09-17-2003, 03:45 PM
My Feedback: (2)

I too have been bit by the "Archive " bug when I use Google it will list an old RCU link that no longer exists wish there was some way to fix that as I used it alot before to find specific info. I know you will say use the search here but I am not sure all the forums from the past are here if they were wouldnt they come up on google?