Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > MarketPlace questions or problem?
 If your backspace key doesn't work read this!  Toolbar must be removed! >

If your backspace key doesn't work read this! Toolbar must be removed!

Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

Old 09-12-2003, 01:56 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If your backspace key doesn't work read this! Toolbar must be removed!

We located the source for the backspace key not working error. The RCU toolbar must be removed. We have an updated one which will fix this error and will have it online within a week. In the meantime use the uninstall on the toolbar to remove it and backspace will return.
Old 09-20-2003, 05:17 PM
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: If your backspace key doesn't work read this! Toolbar must be removed!

[:@] I never installed the toolbar. How would you 'remove' it if you had. I am running XP and Internet Explorer 6.0 and cannot use the backspace key, or the back button on the browser toolbar. Suggestions? Help.
Old 09-20-2003, 05:44 PM
Banned

Default RE: If your backspace key doesn't work read this! Toolbar must be removed!

Did you ever install the RC Airport toolbar? you must remove that. On the home menu is an uninstall option. I have not heard of backspace issues except with those who have that toolbar lurking on their system.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:12 PM

I rarely went to RCAirport, and when I did I was using AOL. I'll go there and check. My AOL browser works correctly on RCuniverse, and always has. I can use the history dropdown from the backspace pad, and navigate, but my browser just sits there at an 'opening *' instruction when using Internet Explorer. I have no issues with any other sites. I'll go now and try to delete the RCAirport toolbar, if I had it. Thanks for any other help. I appreciate your personal attention.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:27 PM

I could not get to the old RCAirport site, as I was routed back here to rcuniverse.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:33 PM
Banned

the toolbar would have been something you had installed in the past.

make sure you have no weird software or popupstoppers, firewall, etc. that might be triggering this. also other toolbars might also cause this issue.
Old 09-21-2003, 12:05 PM

Please just delete my records as fwman. Since you use email addresses to verify who we are, I can't create another id. When you delete fwman, I'll try to create a new identity. I can use aol with no problems. I did install a popup blocker from the windows website a while back, but have no issues anywhere else. Thanks for the attention to this problem. I miss this place!
Old 09-22-2003, 01:49 PM
Banned

I assure you that backspacing has zero to do with your account and this is a browser issue of some kind. Creating an account will not have an effect on backspace issues.

try to clear your cache and possibly reinstall a browser to see if that fixes it.
Old 09-26-2003, 11:55 PM

I clear my cache every day. I reinstalled IE 6.0 . No Joy. This is the only site I have this problem with. The address that is showing on my address bar is the same that shows in the History folder. It says it is opening HTTP://blah.blah but I never actually get any progress box showing the page is loading. When I open the History folder and click the address, it opens the window right up. I'm going to check out my cpu figures when I try to use the backspace button. Maybe that will show if I'm looping or getting somewhere I can't get back from. I have the problem only in the forums, not the ads. I think it is a bug with RCU. I know this is a complex product and I seem to be in the minority having this issue. I don't want to give up. I'm exclusively a Mainframe guy, and have zero training on PC platforms. Does any of this make any sense to you PC guys? I really can't enjoy the only website I visit everyday with this backspace issue. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2003, 12:14 AM

Well, CPU usage pegged at 100% on an INTEL PENTIUM 4 2.4 gig machine for about five seconds, then dropped of to fluctuate evenly up and down between 2% and 9 %. Any gurus want to take a stab at this one?
Old 09-27-2003, 01:08 AM
My Feedback: (33)

On the IE Browser, Try going to TOOLS>>INTERNET OPTIONS>>PROGRAMS, look at the bottom and see if the "[ ] internet exployer should check to see if its the default browser" box is checked.

You might also check the ADVANCED Tab, look for "[ ] enable third party browser extensions (requires restart)" and uncheck it to see if its conflicting with aol.

You should not have had to re-install IE6, there is a tool to "Repair IE6" built in.

Do the changes one at a time, and try each one.
Old 09-27-2003, 06:36 PM

I tried the first two of wornboots suggestions. Good ideas, but no luck. I don't have my disc with me right now, so I can't try the IE6 Repair functions. I did note that the notepad on my IE toolbar contains RCU script and Javascript from this site. When I go into the forums area of the site, it 'fades-out', and I can no longer open it. I also went as far as to uninstall my AOL ( was planning on quitting them anyhow), but that didn't help as well.

Still open to suggestions.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:04 PM

fwman

The notepad is a clue somethings amiss,

You have XP? I have 98SE so I don't know if the same applies. But in Add/Remove Programs, if you click on Un-install IE6 it should pop-up with 3 options (see pic below) and select Repair Ie6. Disc should not be required, its not on my IE6.

Also check Tools>>Internet Options>>Programs, see if the HTML Editor is windows notepad, and under the same there is a "reset settings to default"

PS;
I did note that the notepad on my IE toolbar contains RCU script and Javascript from this site. When I go into the forums area of the site, it 'fades-out', and I can no longer open it.
I don't see notepad on my toolbar? If I go to VIEW>>TOOLBARS>>CUSTOMIZE, I don't even have the option to add it. But it does have an option to "Reset toolbars", Maybe a wild script has corrupted the notepad file.??

OK OK" I just went to Market' side of RCU, My edit icon on my toolbar then says "Edit with Notepad? But it is blank when opened (no text or script) until I clicked select All.

Can You go into market click on edit from there? and then Edit>>Select All>>Edit>>Delete?? the script, when asked if Save changes? select Yes and that will clear the notepad doc. (Mine had a weird script from IE5 and rcu Market) It was blank until I hit Select All, Then I could see the script.????????

Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12968.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	64137  
Old 09-27-2003, 07:31 PM

Still no luck, but I appreciate the attention. I debug mainframe programs in my work, but have only a passing understanding of how PCs, browsers, and the net work. The notepad was not set as my HTML editor. I think you're on the right track. One other items is that the correct address to go back to shows up in my status bar, but the process stops there. IE never actually begins to load the page according to the status bar.

Thanks again for the efforts. I'm sure we are likely on the right track.
Old 09-27-2003, 07:41 PM

No Prob

But while You were posting I was playing with the findings on my note pad, read my last post that I edited this info into.

I was a cable splicer and electrician before, but this computer stuff is new to me also.

But I did notice when I just went back to Market" the Text in "Notepad" was clear and in proper type this time? and when I cleared it, I was booted out and had to log back in again??.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:58 PM

Well, the answer was to back out a Microsoft XP patch that is designed to prevent the Instant Messenger type pop-up ads. When I backed out that Microsoft downloaded product, the backspace key in the Forums returned. Thanks to Marc and Mike of RCU and especially to wornboots for their interest and help. Surf's up!
Old 10-05-2003, 08:11 AM
Banned

I had not thought of that...I have heard the new popup stopper from MS was causing issues of all kinds for a few people. I had not realized it would also mess up the backspace! Ugghhhh! Anyway enjoy and sorry for the confusion!