Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

Pop up adds?

Old 09-12-2003, 02:55 AM
My Feedback: (37)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Pop up adds?

I thought you guys were not going to do the pop up ads. I get them every 25 pages with options to change to 100 pages. Even brousing the the Forums too? We already see the two banner adds on every page. One of these days nobody will be posting here, please lets not get too carried away.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Pop up adds?

Here's a great piece of software to take care of pop-ups and it's free:
http://www.southbaypc.com/NoAds/. Hope it helps.
Old 09-12-2003, 12:55 PM

I think technically they are not pop-ups, in the sense that they don't appear in a new browser window that you have to close. (In other words, software to prevent pop-ups probably won't be effective in hiding them.) RCU seems to be calling them "full-page ads". I've only seen once in all the time I've been here, and I think you just click "next" to go back to what you were doing.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:59 PM

I can just see it now, the next step will be to add banners or ads to your email forum response notifications.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:03 PM

That would be fair. If you join a mailing list on Yahoo, every mail you get from them has an ad in it.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:13 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Pop ups or pass through ads are bad for RCU. If they continue I will not. I dropped RC Airport because they flooded me with email about this great deal and that great deal. Luckily I was easily able to block them via my Internet subscriber. I am beginning to sense the same stench from this place. I hope I am incorrect and we have not gone over the slippery slope. Yes, the owner needs to make money and God bless you for it, but you do need to be careful. My put is stop the pass thorugh ads and never, never, never, use the email list to mail us ads. Oh and I should not have to "opt out" of the ads as is currently the policy (it appears), and you only give us the option of 1 in 100 views...how about never!
Old 09-12-2003, 03:31 PM

Mike, this is why I am not in Yahoo groups or subscribe to any free emails. I do provide my own website and I pay over $100 a year for the domain. But I do not put banner ads or pop ups for anyone browsing my website. I don't mind paying, but I think there are lots who would rather go elsewhere and that is what might happen, just like rcplanet....

Vic
Old 09-12-2003, 03:43 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Hmmmm...I don't recall seeing a pop-up yet. I checked and my preferences are set to 25 (?). So either the Google Toolbar with the built-in pop-up blocker or Norton's Internet Security is doing the job. For what it's worth...
Old 09-12-2003, 05:02 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: used2bUSAF

Here's a great piece of software to take care of pop-ups and it's free:
http://www.southbaypc.com/NoAds/. Hope it helps.
I also use a pop up killer, but when I use RCU I have to turn it off because it will not allow the pop up reply boxes unless I hold the shift key down when I hit reply, and when I tell it to send the reply, it kicks me off 75% of the time if the pop up killer is on. That is really getting on my nerves.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:33 PM

Popup Stopper from Panicware is also free, isn't kicking me off, but it won't stop the full page ad here from showing up. But then, I don't mind one ad per hundred views.
Old 09-12-2003, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are recoding all popup post reply pages to inline pages so there will be no popup post pages just like Old RCU. also a quick reply box is enroute very soon!

patience is appreciated...I always say Rome was not built in a day!
Old 09-12-2003, 08:39 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Marc,

The response they are looking for has nothing to do with reply pages, its the stupid pop up/pass thru adds we HATE!
Old 09-12-2003, 10:03 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: goofup

Popup Stopper from Panicware is also free, isn't kicking me off, but it won't stop the full page ad here from showing up. But then, I don't mind one ad per hundred views.
Well, when I clicked on "Reply" and forgot to hold down the control button to reply to this posting, BAM! got logged out. AGAIN. I am using Popup Stopper and its hating the new RCU with a vengeance!

AND HOW THE HELL DO I GET RID OF THE "NOTIFY ME BY EMAIL WHEN SOMEBODY REPLIES" DEFAULT????? ARRRGGHHH!!!!!

Geez! Im gonna have to have a Cheat Sheet taped to the monitor just to navigate thru RCU.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:37 PM

How do you quote someone?

On RCU you used to be able to click the "quote" button, on this new..mess, I can't find one.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

The auto email notifier default setting will be changed asap!

To quote click the reply link then look for the "quote original" button just above the message box and it will look like the following.

ORIGINAL: P-51B

On RCU you used to be able to click the "quote" button, on this new..mess, I can't find one.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:50 PM

Got it

ORIGINAL: Plane Insane

The auto email notifier default setting will be changed asap!

To quote click the reply link then look for the "quote original" button just above the message box and it will look like the following.

ORIGINAL: P-51B