Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

Very, Very Confused

Old 09-13-2003, 03:03 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very, Very Confused

It looks nice, simple, and user friendly, BUT GEE WISS!!!! I havent seen a harder-to-understand website in forever!!!

1-Whats the difference between all the different "Users"
2-Why do some people have -RCU by their name?
3-Why dont my Replys show up after I press OK?
4-What are the Stoplights for?
5-Why is this place so painstakingly slow?
6-What are the little + signs for/
7-Why cant I turn the stupid full-page ads off? (as if this place isnt slow enough)
8-What are the stars under my name for?
9-Why dosent my profile look the same? (it used say registerd ??-??-2002, Dallas,Texas, ect...
10-Does the background have to be bright white?
Old 09-13-2003, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Very, Very Confused

ORIGINAL: MasterSmasher

It looks nice, simple, and user friendly, BUT GEE WISS!!!! I havent seen a harder-to-understand website in forever!!!

1-Whats the difference between all the different "Users"
2-Why do some people have -RCU by their name?
3-Why dont my Replys show up after I press OK?
4-What are the Stoplights for?
5-Why is this place so painstakingly slow?
6-What are the little + signs for/
7-Why cant I turn the stupid full-page ads off? (as if this place isnt slow enough)
8-What are the stars under my name for?
9-Why dosent my profile look the same? (it used say registerd ??-??-2002, Dallas,Texas, ect...
10-Does the background have to be bright white?

Boy..you ask alot of questions.

-RCU means you were an original RC Universe user but there was a collision on the merge with another RC Airport username that did not match your RCU email. For some they registered on both sites so we have to merge accounts. That will be done after we clear up some other enhancements from old RCU. In other words for now it doesn't hurt anything and we can fix it and will.

Reply should show up after you submit. What do you see in the forum when you click on the thread you replied in?

Full page ads you can toggle from 25 views to 100 views. With all the ad blockers here it was necessary to ensure some reveneu stream to allow RCU to continue and provide great service. Default is 25. If too much set to 100 or upgrading memberships give more options.

Put your mouse over any icon for 3 seconds and a description pops up telling you what it is. the stoplight lets you block/ignore users.

If you find RCU to be slow go to "MyAccount" and in there it has an option to turn off they dynamic menu header at the top of every page. Set this to OFF and you will see speed 5x old RCU. This option slows down some systems it seems. Just turn it off.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:35 PM

I have just one more question for you Marc: How on earth do you find time to do all the programming, all the administrative work, and all the debugging, and yet STILL find time to read every message here, plus the patience to politely answer the same question over and over, ignoring the obvious venom and hostility. You seem to have the energy of a rock star, the patience of Mother Teresa, and the smarts of Jeff Bezos. I would guess you could make a LOT more money elsewhere. THANKS for everything you do for the community here, and good luck with the business!
Old 09-13-2003, 03:57 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Ditto to what Mike said!
Bill
[link]http://www.bp55899.com[/link]
Old 09-13-2003, 05:12 PM
Banned

I wonder the same myself sometimes...thanks guys

BTW...I have 1,158 emails in my inbox unread. Michael, Nathan and I will respond to all of them personally but of course it will take a little extra time to get to some of them.

If you carefully go through RCU and check out my post times in the last year you will realize I don't sleep that much...
Old 09-14-2003, 12:54 AM
My Feedback: (19)

I turned off the dynamic menu header and it still seems real slow to me. Maybe it'll get better, but the old RCU was faster for me.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:12 AM
My Feedback: (12)

ORIGINAL: WADE

I turned off the dynamic menu header and it still seems real slow to me. Maybe it'll get better, but the old RCU was faster for me.
I keep hearing how this new place is much slower for some people. I don't doubt what you are seeing, but there must be a specific reason for it. I am on a fairly old PC, but I do have a cable modem and I have seen no slowdown at all and I have the dynamic menus still turned on.

There must be a reson why some people have seen the slowdown. Don't give up on it, I'm sure Marc will figure it out.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:28 AM
Banned

Most have solved this with the dynamic menu being turned off using their prefs in MyAccount. Wade is on 28.8 modem and 600Mhz so with dynamic on that would have been one issue as 600mhz can't process those well. the 28.8 is of course very slow by any standard so even an extra 20k in filesize which on 56k or ISDN or dsl or cable is trivial on the 28.8 it is very noticeable. I used to be on 2400 in the early days and RCU pages I'm sure (the old one even) would take minutes to download on that speed.

Anyone on 56k dial up or higher should see great speed but if not I can troubleshoot further. I'm still working with wade to find out what the specifics besides 28.8k modem might be.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:34 AM

i would think the reason for the slowdown is that the pages aren't direct php accessing now

the posts seem to be dynamically generated html pages - a step backwards?
Old 09-14-2003, 11:10 AM
My Feedback: (1)

It just feels slower than the old RCU- Especialy in replying- HintHint
Old 09-14-2003, 01:33 PM
My Feedback: (33)

MasterSmasher It just feels slower than the old RCU- Especialy in replying- HintHint
I think Larry said Marc was working on it this weekend? Geesh he never sleeps"
when does he fly????