Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

Pop-UP full page ads???

Old 09-14-2003, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop-UP full page ads???

What is the reason that an upgraded member no longer has to "deal" with the pop-up full page ads, however those who choose to not upgrade will have to deal with them????
Copied below references my question....
Thanks
Jerry

Limit Full Page Ads

You currently see full page promotions every 100 pages
throughout the site (but NEVER in the marketplace).

Change my frequency to:
25 35 50 75 100 OFF (Upgraded Members Only

UPDATE SUCCESSFUL!
Old 09-14-2003, 09:23 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Pop-UP full page ads???

Those ads support the site.
Old 09-14-2003, 09:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct, a member can support the site with a small annual fee but if they wish to use RCU for free the advertising supported component must provide enough revenue to keep RCU running fast and providing the many services users want.

P.S. These are NOT Popup ads. A popup ad is one which requires you to close an additional window that opens up an entire new browser on your computer. Our ads do not spawn new windows nor do they require you to close another browser window to bypass them.
Old 09-14-2003, 10:00 AM
My Feedback: (12)

Another point to note about the full page ads is that the page count is per session. i.e. if you set it to 100 then you only see the full page ads if you get to 100 pages in each session of reading RCU. When you close the browser and then come back another time, the page count resets and you get another 100 pages to view before seeing the ads.

In the last few days I have seen a full page ad only once and it was no big deal. I just clicked on he 'skip this ad' link and kept going.

I did take a second to glance at the ad and see if it was something I was interested in. Remember this is an RC site with RC ads. So who knows, you might even be interested in what is shown. If you aren't, just click the 'skip' link and keep going.

It isn't like you will see ads for some timeshare holiday rentals or 50 piece knife set or something ridiculous like that.

Also they aren't pop-ups either. They load in the current browser window not a new window that 'pops' up. I hate pop-ups too. They leave a whole string of windows open that have to be closed. These ads do not do that.

Plus without the ads you wouldn't have the site!
Old 09-14-2003, 10:32 AM

heh - stop *****ing, this place is a free service and you are not happy?

there is a saying in greece:

if someone gives you a donkey for free, would you give it back because its teeth are yellow?
Old 09-15-2003, 06:38 AM

Thanks to all for the further explanation. I was just wondering why the "non-paying" group had the opportunity to view the ads, whereas the "paying" group were not offered the same opportunity. If you believe that by folks having the opportunity to view ads, that they might buy something then you too must believe that those who do not have the opportunity will not. Seriously, I just think what is good for one is good for all and we do not need additional reasons to classify or segregate members.
I realize the ads, along with the various membership levels will help to pay the bills and that is the real world, however I do think the way you are going about raising money is not necessarily the best way to go about it. I suggest you offer the membership the opportunity to pay a $15 fee on a voluntary basis, no strings attached. The information available is worth a lot more than that. But, hey, that is your decision and I fully respect that. The problem I have with the new site is the LABELS, STARS, what used to be the SCORES do contribute to classifying or segregating members. I just feel this method contributes to building "barriers" between the membership. I don't believe that is in the best interest of the site. I have already observed the "choosing up sides" syndrome and the folks who agree justifying there reasoning to those who do not agree and vice versa. I admit, I have my complaints and have posted them, but I will contribute my money, not for the privilege of the classifieds, but to support the site. I appreciate the effort and thanks to the leadership for having the stamina to put up with differing opinions and the daunting task of creating something new. Just my opinion and it is clear that not all will agree. Enough said...I have registered my thoughts and have no other suggestions, comments, criticisms etc... Thanks for you ear...
Jerry
Old 09-15-2003, 06:46 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

score was already removed.

stars will be removed but since the code that shows your name and such is tied into it I have some deeper coding to do to strip it without stripping the username too
Old 09-15-2003, 07:51 AM
Administrator
My Feedback: (12)

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cchs1964
I suggest you offer the membership the opportunity to pay a $15 fee on a voluntary basis, no strings attached. The information available is worth a lot more than that.
Jerry- There are no strings attached. If you decide you want to help support RCU with your $20 it for the most part will be only you who knows about it. Your Senior Member title will stay the same, and you will be known as a "Trading Plus" member in the Marketplace. We appreciate your continued contributions and suggestions to the forums and if that's where it ends for you I'm sure there will be many people thankful for the help you offer. Sometimes support doesn't always mean monetary support. Enjoy RCU.
Old 09-15-2003, 08:29 AM
My Feedback: (24)

Because of the many issues users were having with weird login loops due to the full page ad, issues posting because of it or hitting the back button and not getting back to where they were we have removed the full page ad from the forums. It already was disabled in the marketplace, homepage, search page but the issues inside the forums are creating too much of a problem for many users trying to post.

We set them to show 1 in every 100,000 views by a user in one session. So if you happen to view 100,000 pages you might see one (must view in one sitting) but I don't think this is possible. If every page took you 30 seconds to read that would be 300,000 seconds to read them all. That would be 5000 minutes or 83 hours of continous viewing of RCU. I know some guys are on here alot but I challenge anyone to pull 83 hours!

If you do see one in the forums it means our disable code isn't functioning properly OR your session still exists. Shut your browser and they should go away. If not post here so I can make sure the code is correct!

RCadmin
RC Universe
Old 09-15-2003, 01:17 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Another point to note about the full page ads is that the page count is per session. i.e. if you set it to 100 then you only see the full page ads if you get to 100 pages in each session of reading RCU. When you close the browser and then come back another time, the page count resets and you get another 100 pages to view before seeing the ads.
YIPPIE, wondering where those pesky pop-ups are ( don't care, i will call them pop-ups coz i clicked this and sommit else poped up )

talking of removing things.... do we need to see the big shiny ego status symbols under peoples name showing they upgraded, i can see it getting 'cliquey'

had to chuckle when i saw the monthly upgrade costs and you got just $5 off a $25 card of some type