Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

SHAME ON RCU

Old 09-30-2003, 11:00 PM
starcad
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SHAME ON RCU

Sorry Marc I have to reply. RCFlyer when was the last time you posted an ad on eBay? Things have changed there also just for you information. Last year I could sell an Item under $10.00 and only be charged .50 cents or so. Now I'm looking at $2.20 for the same features for the same Item. RCU is a reasonable place to sell my goods and still make a profit doing so. If you think I'm getting rich you really need to forget that idea and the same goes for Marc and crew. What they charge for what I'm selling along with all the other auctions and classifieds is pennies compared to the junk sites across the Internet. I make enough to buy a gallon of fuel a month just to go fly my planes. If it weren't for my !QUOT!Special Project!QUOT! I probably wouldn't be flying but only one weekend a month.

No one is getting !QUOT!greedy!QUOT! there just trying to justify there time and effort to make this the best place on the Internet for people like you and I. Give'em a break will you.

Sorry Marc won't happen again.
Old 10-01-2003, 02:29 PM
AirHead256

Updated Oct 2nd: I have been advised that the following post is not correct in that I can, in fact, list items for sale with out paying the $20 annual fee. I just experienced a bit of confusion about this while going through the listing screens. I have confidence the early confusion of listing will be cleared up and hope we can all enjoy a great new site with lots to offer.

Previously I had wirtten: I have a couple things I put out for saie each year. It is not worth $20 to me each year for the ability to sell them here...
Old 10-01-2003, 02:47 PM
Empennage Gunner
My Feedback: (11)

The best way to fix the new site would be to bring back the old site. I thought it was the best site on the internet. This new site isn't near as well laid out.
It's got nothing to do with money. I'd have been happy to pay a sellers fee with the old site!
I second that emotion! - Wade R.
Old 10-01-2003, 03:10 PM
Lightfoot
My Feedback: (1)

I have a couple things I put out for saie each year. It is not worth $20 to me each year for the ability to sell them here...
To list each of your items will cost you between $.50 and $1.75. You are not required to pay $20 per year for anything on RCU. The $20 per year fee is an option for those who sell for larger amounts of money. Let's say that you sold 12 rare airplane kits $200 each within a year. The individual listing fees would run $21. Then it would be to your advantage to pay the $20 annual fee for the $2400 worth of listings. Now, let's say that you sold 6 airplanes with engines for $400 each. This would be the same $2400 total but the listing fees would be $10.50. In that case, you would be better off paying the individual listing fees. Either way, we are not talking about a lot of money in fees. I sold one item on eBay for $200 plus shipping and just got a bill for $12.65 from them. I am not an economist but even I can see the advantage of listing here over listing on eBay.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:54 PM
starcad
My Feedback: (7)

Gee Airhead where are you getting that $20 from. Read Howards reply and you will see that it really only pretains to people like me that want to sell a lot of things. Actually I'm no different than the Mom & Pop you are talking about. I just thought one day I'd like to sell tools for modelers on ebay and found a wholesale site that would sell to me in the 5 to 10 item quanities. So, to make a long story short I found some software I liked and started a very small business (web page). I now handle some name brand merchandise and can afford to buy a gallon of fuel a month from the profits. Yep! I'm big time.

So, please, place your auctions on the board as who knows I may be one of yur bidders.
Old 10-01-2003, 07:53 PM
mvigod
Banned

Airhead - if you don't mind please let me know what gave you the idea that $20 was mandatory to sell here. It is not so I am going to assume something is unclear in our sell process that I need to fix or you picked up some misinformation at a competitive site by those who wish to see RCU fail for their own gain perhaps.

If you can help me to understand what made you believe this fee was mandatory I can take efforts to ensure other sellers don't fall into the same trap that you did with the wrong and totally incorrect information.

Lightfoot's explanation is spot on.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:27 PM
Skip
My Feedback: (76)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[8D] I have had a little trouble getting used to this new format but slowly it is getting easier. I don't mind paying you my part of your salary for this site. I am sure in time you will work out all the bugs. My only complaint is that it is a little cumbersome getting to where I want to go. Keep up the good work and streamline RCU some more. Skip
Old 10-02-2003, 01:42 PM
rcflyer727
My Feedback: (2)

Thanks for your input, Marc.

It is great that things are selling quickly, but sorting through all the sold items is not efficent for the user.

It was such a shock the first time I signed on to the new site. I am sure with time you will work out some of the kinks, and I will learn to get along in the new format.

You and your family and partners certainly deserve a return on your time, and I hope this business model brings it.

It is, of course true that I did not understand how much time some individules were commiting to the site, or that the donations were not working.

I did donate, because I thought rcu was such a great resource. If you had directed everyone to a cover letter explaning what you just explaned to me, perhaps everyone (who does not know you already, that is) would have more patience.

So far, this site does not work well for me, but I will give it some more time. ( I don't really see the advantage of auctions, they take more time, and the posting format had the advantage the buyers could up the price depending on how past offers had gone).

In any case, for your sake, and ours, I hope this works out. I love rc, and loved the resource rcu represents.

Gary

Old 10-02-2003, 02:21 PM
mvigod
Banned

Gary,

Hi. Your post above makes me wonder if you realize 2 things. You stated you don't see the advantage of auctions but if that is the case then set your preferences in your MyAccount area to Classifieds. We have both so every user can see what they want. Solves that issue, correct?

Next you said sorting through all the sold items is inneficient. Yes it is. It was the same way on the old site where they would (possibly) be marked sold but still in your way. On this site you can click the link above the listings to show 'UNSOLD ITEMS ONLY". This way you do not have to see sold items! The forum did NOT have this functionality but this system does. Some users WANT to see sold items for price reference or just so when they come back later and that item they had their eye on didn't just disappear off the screen. They can reference it and know it was definitively sold. Again use the filter links at the top of the listings. They are powerful and make this system 100x more efficient but you must use them. Did you not know they were there?