Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > MarketPlace questions or problem?
 Losing track of new messages. >

Losing track of new messages.

Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

Losing track of new messages.

Old 09-18-2003, 01:42 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Losing track of new messages.

One of the features that I really like is that threads with new messages are bold, and they have a "go to first new message" button.

A bit earlier, I had just completed a reply and clicked submit. IE crashed (does not happen very often, but that's not the problem here.) After restarting IE and getting back into RCU (did not have to login,) it was as if I had read every new message on the system. I had most definatly not read them all!

The only thing I can think of is that the information to determine what threads are shown as having new messages is held in a cookie, and that the crash blew it away.

Is there anything that can be done about this behaviour? It is very annoying trying to find the new messages in long threads that you know you haven't read yet.

Come to think of it, I've noticed this same behaviour if I close IE and then open it and return to RCU. Any threads with new messages remaining at the time I close IE no longer show as having new messages when I return.

Just confirmed the above paragraph. If you close IE and then open it and return to RCU, It only shows new threads since IE was last closed.

In my opinion, this behaviour needs to be changed. I may have to leave RCU for some reason before I'm finished reading everything I want to read. It would be nice to be able to come back and continue from where I left off.

Thanks,
...jim
Old 09-19-2003, 12:06 AM
My Feedback: (33)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Losing track of new messages.

Jim

IE has a setting that will delte temp web files when its closed
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wt59381.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	62213  
Old 09-19-2003, 11:30 PM

Thanks for pointing me to that. However, I do not have that checked, so the problem remains. I'm pretty sure it's something in the site software that will have to be changed. Hope thay can do it.

...jim
Old 09-20-2003, 12:51 AM
My Feedback: (41)

"new posts since last visit". Your last visit was a couple of minutes ago, so no new messages. When you left, suddenly or otherwise, and then returned, it became a new visit. This has operated this way even with the old software. I'm sure I had problems like that in the past. All you can do is look at new posts today.
Old 09-20-2003, 12:52 AM
My Feedback: (41)

Duplicate
Old 09-20-2003, 05:05 PM

Yes, you're right, now that I think about it. It used to happen on the old site as well.

I guess I'll try posting a suggestion to have this behaviour changed, if it can.

Thanks,
...jim