Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > MarketPlace questions or problem?
Reload this Page >

RCU needs to review their commercial seller fee schedule, don't you think?

Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

RCU needs to review their commercial seller fee schedule, don't you think?

Old 03-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Day_Trader

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCU needs to review their commercial seller fee schedule, don't you think?

When I first started selling here on RCU (only about 4 months ago),I thought the commercial seller fees were reasonable. Well "reasonable" may not be the correct word I should use here. I guess it was the appeal of the "no final value fee" that enticed me to give RCU a try. Being a seller on that other site - I thought selling on RCU would be a windfall, not having to worry about final value fees... Not really a "windfall", just thought it sounded like a more cost effective method to peddle my hobby goods... Not so I tell you!

I placed my first ad and I'm off and running... SOLD.. Waited about a week, placed another ad... SOLD. Wow, that was easy.

Placed another... EXPIRED, no sale. Placed another and another... EXPIRED, EXPIRED, no sale. Okay, not everything sells, but now I'm 2 for 5.

Keep going... Place another ad (with added features = more expensive)... SOLD 3 for 6!

Place another, and another, and another, and another, and another... EXPIRED, EXPIRED, EXPIRED, EXPIRED, EXPIRED! 3 for 11, ouch!

This is turning out to be a crap shoot. Not everything sells, and not everything sells in 14 days. Big ticket items may take weeks, even months to find a buyer. With ads only good for 14 days this fee schedule could be costly. It is also, in a way, comparable to gambling. "Well,I'm in it this far might as well give it another try", that type of thinking...

This type of fee structure also doesn't work if you have several of the same item for sale. For example; 50 propellers, or 100 sets of tires, etc. It does cost more when you list multiples of the same item, but again your ad expires in 14 days. If RCU wants this marketplace to grow and they should, adjustments must be made.

Why settle for just swap meet selling when you have the infrastructure in place for retail selling as well? More quality items, whether it is an individual selling one item for fun or a commercial dealer selling several items, will make RCU the ultimate place to shop, blog, post and learn.

The way I see it, if RCU gets 1000 items posted at an insertion fee of $5, that's $5000.00. If they get 10,000 items posted at $2, that's $20,000.00. That's an additional $15,000 for the same amount of overhead! Plus now there are more items to shop for leading to more traffic and increased exposure.

Unless RCU is apprehensive about explosive growth, changes should be examined. I have several ideas and I'm sure so do other members. Maybe there is a down side worth discussing? How do other sellers like the fee structure? Maybe I'm doing something wrong, or approaching this the wrong way? Let me know...