Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

You got to be kidding!!!

Old 05-02-2004, 09:45 PM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You got to be kidding!!!

I just sold an item on RCU. In my entire life I have never seen a more convoluted, screwed up system. It must have taken at least 10 minutes just to figure out how to mark an item sold. Half a dozen questions, etc, etc. You people need to revamp this entire system and get rid of all the extra crap.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:47 PM
mvigod
Banned

Default RE: You got to be kidding!!!

ORIGINAL: splais

I just sold an item on RCU. In my entire life I have never seen a more convoluted, screwed up system. It must have taken at least 10 minutes just to figure out how to mark an item sold. Half a dozen questions, etc, etc. You people need to revamp this entire system and get rid of all the extra crap.

Well it is certainly a bit more involved in terms of steps then just making a post. However it is that way to guarantee certain information is contained within each ad. This is something users asked for. The questions are merely so users can find your ad/item. It is broken up into a few easy steps with help icons all the way through it for newcomers to the market.

As far as marking an item sold. You can click the mark item sold in the ad or better yet just manage all your ads through your MyMarket area. All your ad management tools are located in the MyMarket area to simplify the process. Just click the buying or selling tab depending on which ads you want to view (ones you made offers or those you are selling).

Anything new is always more difficult than what we are familiar with. What you will be impressed with is the thing that matters most and that is how fast your item will sell if priced correctly. Your ad will be exposed to 10's of thousands of users not only on RCU but across the entire RC Market network of sites. You will get more for your item than you will anyplace else thanks to the large buying audience here.

Yes it will taken another 45 seconds to place an ad on the marketplace as opposed to just posting an ad in the forums but that is a small price to pay so buyers can more easily find what your selling. The "extra crap" as you put it are all features requested by members such as yourself. Nothing in there exists without a specific purpose.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:01 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No offense, Splais, but you SOLD an item? Seems like the extra steps were worth it. I've only sold a few items here, but it felt very much like ebay.

It did take extra time v.s. a forum based deal, but let's face it, most of us post our FS sale stuff in all of the RC forums. If it sells on RCU and not the others, it's worth it.
Old 05-04-2004, 02:55 PM
mvigod
Banned

Our average time to sell is less than a week and most of the time not terribly far from the sellers asking price. If that isn't reason enough then I don't know what is. Sure you could save 45 seconds posting elsewhere but will it sell and for how much less? Is a minute worth an extra $10 or maybe and extra $200?

As far as difficulty marking an item sold how about comparing that to a forum system where there is no mark sold feature. It is so easy you don't even have to figure out how to mark an item sold because you can't. We can take away features that members asked for which would make things easier but not necessarily better.

We have received as many as 500 listings in a single day so it cannot be that difficult. We've had over 14,000 ads marked sold since september. We've made it as easy as possible but if you have constructive suggestions to simplify it then please offer them. Saying "You people need to revamp this entire system and get rid of all the extra crap" does not point us in any useful direction to implement changes to make the use of the market any easier. It just isn't enough information for us to go on.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:57 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

I may have been a little over the top, crudewise. But my only point is that it was way to compleciated and time consuming to figure it all out and use. I have sold/baught stuff on Ebay and several other auction/sale sites. This was by far the most un-user friendly. For those that do not see or understand the advantages of simplicity, there is no point in beating a dead horse, as I do like RCU a lot.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:14 AM
mkranitz
Banned
My Feedback: (60)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: splais

I may have been a little over the top, crudewise. But my only point is that it was way to compleciated and time consuming to figure it all out and use. I have sold/baught stuff on Ebay and several other auction/sale sites. This was by far the most un-user friendly. For those that do not see or understand the advantages of simplicity, there is no point in beating a dead horse, as I do like RCU a lot.
Splais,

Before we launched the market, we conducted a focus group comprised of 15 yr old kids, 68 yr old computer-illiterate folks and 20-35 year old women with NO appreciation for the hobby or computers. Everybody posted an ad in under 5 minutes (including time to write the description). We have more than 30,000 successfully posted ads since we launched. I have personally spent more than 1200 development hours adding features and simplifying the interface. To say that eBay is easier just blows me away. Many of our members (including me) have posted on eBay and it is nasty in my view....But that's just one man's opinon.

Now...to help me out, rather than just tell me the site is hard, tell me WHAT IS HARD. That way, I can look at it and streamline it if possible. We have a bunch of questions when posting an ad, but that is precisely what makes every ad detailed and searchable by so many different qualities (like ARF, Excellent condition, etc.).

I just spent 50 hours on the new market look so that ads and browsing feel more like a forum (simple). Have you looked at those changes? Do you like them? I am working next on the posting pages, but could use help in understanding what is difficult there.

Thanks,

Michael