Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > MarketPlace questions or problem?
Reload this Page >

So what kind of scam is this?

Community
Search
Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

So what kind of scam is this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 07:00 AM
Todd L.
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what kind of scam is this?

Hey guys and gals
MY buddy's kid (10 years old) wanted a RC truck so he could race at the local track with his fiends. My buddy told his kid "earn the money and you can have one". The kid went out and cut lawns and saved up some cash. My buddy came to me and wanted to know if I could find them a deal on a use truck with all the goodies. so I said yah let me look on RCU and I came accross this http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=112729
I ran it trought my RCU account and got a deal going with this guy and here's the emails I get after we sent the money order.

"Im really sorry...well, before i went to pack up the rc10t4, i took it out in my backyard for a "farewell"..i was hittin some skateboard jumps, and it got away from me on one of em and when i hit the ground both front a arms snapped, the turnbukles got messed up, and the steering servo got knocked up outta place...im really sorry. i got ur Money order today, do u want me to just send it back, or cash it and send the cash back?....lmk, sorry for the troubles. ( but remember, im the one who has a totaled car now...Lol)"

And I tell him to send the MO back I get this!

"before i cash the MO and send the money back, i wanted to ask u if u were intersted in my brothers duratrax evader st. its got a 19t trinity monster motor and a stock duratrax esc. the TX is missing the battery cover and its got no antenna, but other then that its all good. he said he can sell it for 110, so i can take it out of ur money and send u the remaining 40 if u want...if not just say so and ull have ur money back"

I tell him again SEND THE MONEY ORDER BACK WE BOUGTH SOMTHING ELSE!! Then this is his responce.

"lol ok. wut truck?...anyways, im goin on vacation and me and my family are leaving at 2:00 this afternoon. we will be back Thursday next week and that's when i can cash and send the money back, i would ask my brother in law to do it while im away, but its too risky. hope this works out, email me if u need anything, ill still be checkin my email from the hotel"

I tell him to send the moey order before you go on vacation and have not gotten a reply. And I see he is "THIS SELLER HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED". So is this a scam or what?

Old 07-22-2005, 07:25 AM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: So what kind of scam is this?

Todd,
It makes no sense that he would have to cash the MO before sending it back. It might be useful to call his local police department and file a complaint. This will usually get people's attention and make them act quickly. I can tell you however the reason that member was suspended was because he repeatedly ignored notices and warnings that multiple listings for the same item are not permitted. There is no record of scam or fraud against his account before now.
Old 07-22-2005, 09:35 AM
Todd L.

Thanks for the info. I will do that.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:03 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Do you have a name for this person? It seems like I've seen this scam before on another site. Sometimes they are stupid enough to keep the same screen name on all of the sites but a real name helps.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:07 PM
Todd L.

Get this, I got the money in the mail today!!! It came in a ziplock bag because it got cought in one of the machines thay have. Thank god this is over
Old 08-23-2005, 05:20 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Todd,
That is excellent news! I'm glad you were able to get your money back!

Thank you for the update.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:13 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

sounds like not a scam, but just an iresponsible person. Good thing you got your money. good luck with your other purchase.