Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Universe Support > MarketPlace questions or problem?
Reload this Page >

A safer way to trade on RCU??

Notices
MarketPlace questions or problem? Post questions or problems related to the RC Universe Marketplace in this forum.

A safer way to trade on RCU??

Old 02-20-2008, 08:57 PM
alfie43
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A safer way to trade on RCU??

I too am contemplating a trade (Saito-300TT even trade for Saito-300DP), but with out escrow.com the risks are obvious.

However, I was thinking; I have a PayPal account and if I traded only with someone who also has a Pay Pal account, we both could simultaneously sell our engines to each other and pay each other through Pay Pal. Surely, Paypal offers buyers some assurance that they will receive the items that were transacted thru Pay Pal.

Does anyone see any possible snags? Thanks
Alfie
Old 02-20-2008, 09:43 PM
flynut007
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: A safer way to trade on RCU??

As long as "the bad guy" pays first; all is well!! LOL

Seriously though, you have to have trust in one another for this trade to be successful. After all, you aren't able to inspect pre-purchase, so if you can trust one another to send the product and for it to arrive in the condition stated.

Suggestions:
1. Check each other out.....do the ratings show any red flags? Are all the ratings for nickle & dime items? Have any items similar to your's been sold or traded?
2. Ask for high resolution digital photos.
3. How long has the member been on RCU?
4. Has the member been willing to give his/her home and cell number?
5. Exchange emails stating exactly what is expected and what will be delivered.
6. Take a chance.........
Old 02-20-2008, 10:33 PM
JWN
Community Moderators
My Feedback: (42)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bills' points are all very good.

A potential problem with the Paypal route is the "bad guy" reversing payment before the good guy has a chance to withdraw the funds.

Seriously , the only safe way to trade, no matter what website you use or how well you check out the other person using ratings or ad history, is to do the trade in person. Anything else is a risk.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:14 PM
alfie43
My Feedback: (4)

Bill, John
I just read the Pay Pal Seller Protection Policy. The policy covers qualified memebrs for up to $5,000 on any transaction where there is a failure to pay or ship. To perform a trade, both parties would sell their respective item to each other for the agreed amount. Payment would be made simultaneously into each parties PP account. Both sellers will then ship. Buyers cannot “pull” payments. They can request a “Charge Back” and the funds go into Pay Pal’s special account and that immediately starts a resolution process. Of course, if seller fails to ship, he will get exposed.

I believe that a Pay Pal to Pay Pal transaction is a viable way to execute a RCU trade. I have no reason to promote this technique other than to introduce the idea to other members so that they may be able to take advantage and safely perform trades initiated on RCU.

There are many precautions that must be adhered to, i.e., the trading parties must document all communication, payments and shipments, the trading parties must both: be “Verified” PP members, have a listed PP confirmed address, and have a credit card linked to their account. Again, my intention is to demonstrate to other RCU members that if you are careful and follow all of the Pay Pal guidelines, trading can be safely done.
Alfie