Notices
Merlin Turbine Clinic Support for Merlin Turbines is provided in this forum

Old 09-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Pete737

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 160..

Hi, I just received a 160 today and have a few questions.

Can I use a 7.2v NICAD/NIMH battery for the ECU?

How do I reduce the engine acceleration time, I hear fast spooling is inversely proportional with reliability.

What type of glowplug?

Finally, Is this engine identical to a Rhino? I have heard this but never verified it.

Who services these engines?

Thanks, Pete
Old 09-26-2010, 06:10 PM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (47)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: 160..

Can I use a 7.2v NICAD/NIMH battery for the ECU? - YES

How do I reduce the engine acceleration time - If your ECU allows you to access the "ACCEL DELAY" parameter you can lower the number for faster acceleration or raise it for slower acceleration. Be careful, if you make it too fast it can sputter and flame out. Also that tendency can change with the weather. For best acceleration keep lowering the number until it just starts to sputter on a rapid acceleration from idle to WOT. Then set it 3-4 higher. During hot weather you may need to raise it more.

I hear fast spooling is inversely proportional with reliability. - Who told you that? Sounds like BS.

What type of glowplug? Same as any other turbine. MC-9 or Rossi Cold work well.

Finally, Is this engine identical to a Rhino? I have heard this but never verified it. - Close. It depends on which version you have. Basically the internals are the same. The Merlin had a machined compressor for quite some time, which is why it put out a couple more pounds of thrust. I believe the Rhino now comes with a machined compressor. The front cover, starter, and tailcones are different.

Who services these engines? - Dreamworks or Jets Munt in Spain.

Joe
Old 09-27-2010, 03:57 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your comments, they are 100% accurate.

Regarding that the fast acceleration time compromise the reliability, this is a urban legend from when some engines accelerate slowly, at least in our engines, reliability is not compromised.

About service, I see you are located in US, so if your engine comes from DreamworksRC, you can send the engine there for service. Also you can send to factory in Spain. We also have authorized service centers in Germany and in Sweden.

Gaspar
Old 09-27-2010, 08:30 AM
Pete737

Thank you very much guys. I guess I read about a few guys flaming out with high acceleration rates but as I have been recently told by Todd, This would only happen when trying to exceed the MF recommended setting which leads me to this question:

Is there a default setting (accel delay) that all Merlins come with? Or is it dependent on your particular location, Where the accel delay will have to be somewhat fine tuned?

Thanks again, Pete
Old 09-28-2010, 01:03 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

From factory they come set to a "standard" acceleration rate. All turbine engines like the fresh and thick air, so in sea level at low ambient temperatures the acceleration rate could be set much faster than same engine at altitude and hot ambient temperature. From engine point of view, it like to be accelerated as slow as possible, so if you feel comfortable with slow spool time you can set slow acceleration. There are other factors that influence on engine acceleration time, like engine health, fuel quality (not same kero than diesel) and installation, if the airflow to engine is restricted and in some phase it breath his own exhaust, acceleration become complicated.

Gaspar
Old 09-29-2010, 08:52 AM
Pete737

ORIGINAL: Gaspar

From factory they come set to a ''standard'' acceleration rate. All turbine engines like the fresh and thick air, so in sea level at low ambient temperatures the acceleration rate could be set much faster than same engine at altitude and hot ambient temperature. From engine point of view, it like to be accelerated as slow as possible, so if you feel comfortable with slow spool time you can set slow acceleration. There are other factors that influence on engine acceleration time, like engine health, fuel quality (not same kero than diesel) and installation, if the airflow to engine is restricted and in some phase it breath his own exhaust, acceleration become complicated.

Gaspar
Thank you sir