Notices
Merlin Turbine Clinic Support for Merlin Turbines is provided in this forum

Diesel vs Paraffin

Old 07-31-2013, 05:10 AM
uixkes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel vs Paraffin

Hi all,

The first 20ltr I used Diesel for my VT80, only because I couldn't find a supplier for Kerosene and I was desperate to try the turbine.

On the JetsMunt website it is stated that Diesel is allowed but that performance is reduced and spool up time increased. Also that long term test are still ongoing.

I got a lot of criticism for using Diesel. Someone actually told me I could damage the turbine by using Diesel.

I got really worried and now that I have used up the Diesel I bought Paraffin (very expensive). I had a couple of flights and I must say that I did not notice a difference in spool up time and power. I had the feeling that my plane flew exactly the same as before.

My questions are:

Can I continue to fly with Diesel, shall I alternate with Paraffin or shall I stop using Diesel all together?
Did anyone notice a difference in performance when using different types of fuel?

I love my VT80, it is a great turbine and I don't want to do any damage. Any advice is appreciated.

Ulrich
Old 07-31-2013, 06:42 AM
Gaspar

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Diesel vs Paraffin

You can continue using Diesel if you like it, no problem for the engine. Our tests show that, when comparing the spanish diesel to kerosene, the engine gives same power, no mechanical issues, a little less fuel comsumption measured by volume, but startup and acceleration is a little better with Kero. The VT80 accelerates quickly with kero, so using diesel it performs normal.

Customers using Diesel report the same as you, no difference, but my tests show difference in these 2 aspects. I'm thinking that depends on diesel quality, I plan to take some diesel from Germany during our trip to JetPower fair to test with German diesel.

Gaspar
Old 07-31-2013, 07:06 AM
uixkes

Thanks for that Gaspar. I feel much better now.

As I mentioned before I have problems to find a Kerosene supplier. They all want 500ltr. minimum order.[]
So be able to just go to the next fuel station and get some Diesel is very convenient. Good to know that I do not do any damage to the engine.

I was planning to go to the JetPower fair too, as it is not far from where my parents live. Would be really nice to meet you.

Btw, that dry start really helped. I don't know why the turbine was flooded/kerosene burner wet but after two dry starts the ignition temperature kept rising as normal.

Ulrich
Old 07-31-2013, 10:36 AM
j.p.fillon

I myself used diesel on my Merlin 90 and 140.
No change in behavior.
The diesel is more fat than kerosene or kerdane, maybe he should put a smaller percentage of lubricating oil, 3/4%??
I do not know what I can think of Gaspar!

Jean-Pierre

Old 08-07-2014, 10:35 AM
mjunior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dear buddies,

Let's see if we can upgrade this thread..
I will start running my Merlin 140 and would like to consider using diesel since in Brasil it is cheaper and easier to buy.
Since in Brasil we have a large use of diesel in trucks and big buses our local authority has introduced in past years very strong standards.
The result is a very clean and good diesel.
Basically we have two types, the regular one with 500PPM of sulfur and special one with only 10PPM of sulfur.
What can you tell me about diesel sold in your countries?
Regards,
Mucio
Old 08-10-2015, 01:22 PM
cmp3cantrj

Originally Posted by mjunior View Post
Dear buddies,

Let's see if we can upgrade this thread..
I will start running my Merlin 140 and would like to consider using diesel since in Brasil it is cheaper and easier to buy.
Since in Brasil we have a large use of diesel in trucks and big buses our local authority has introduced in past years very strong standards.
The result is a very clean and good diesel.
Basically we have two types, the regular one with 500PPM of sulfur and special one with only 10PPM of sulfur.
What can you tell me about diesel sold in your countries?
Regards,
Mucio
Definitely go with the low sulfur - the alloys used in the turbine wheel are compromised by sulfur (strength can be halved).
Old 08-10-2015, 01:28 PM
cmp3cantrj

Kerosene availability

In the UK Jet A is cheaper than diesel ( because of tax) or paraffin (because the people who buy paraffin don't know what the price should be) - although you need to know where to go.

Typically Jet A will cost around 75p /litre as opposed to 1.10 for diesel and a little less for paraffin bought in 25ltr containers. (Paraffin in 4ltr containers is much more expensive).

Uixkes - have you tried buying direct from an airfield? - just show up with some jerrycans and ask around!

You need to find a small airfield that operates turboprops - your best bet is a parachuting centre -they need to get high quickly and piston engines are not powerful enough. There is one in St Andrews that may be close enough to you.

Failing that many garages do sell 25ltr containers of Kerosene. It is still cheaper than diesel - and you get a useful container with it!

Last edited by cmp3cantrj; 08-10-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:16 AM
josecilurzo

In Brazil diesel cost 0,65~0,70 Us$, jeta1 cost around 1,60 Us$.
we change for diesel 250 lts ago, on our jetcats : p70, p80, p140rx, without problems on start, and run, i perceived more thrust to up.
i'm using turbine oil, but, i will change to Dte32,
my only doubt is the condition os combustion chamber, turbine wheel an bearings after 50 or more hours.
i allways runs 50 hs before change bearings, without issues!!
any experiences???

jose
Old 08-11-2015, 07:56 AM
rfbenn

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Have you tried to source 28 second heating oil , a good few of us use it down our neck of the woods. The local supplier here sells it by the litre from a regular fuel pump and a lot cheaper than we were getting Jet A from the local airport and cheaper than diesel.
Last time we were there it was 56p per litre.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:13 PM
cmp3cantrj

Originally Posted by rfbenn View Post
Have you tried to source 28 second heating oil , a good few of us use it down our neck of the woods. The local supplier here sells it by the litre from a regular fuel pump and a lot cheaper than we were getting Jet A from the local airport and cheaper than diesel.
Last time we were there it was 56p per litre.
Please note that the difference between heating oil and Jet A may be down to the fact that your airport supplier is charging tax (which is due for Avtur used for "private pleasure flying") and your heating oil supplier is not. However legally the tax situation relates to how the fuel is used. I am not sure how model flying sits in this situation - BUT it is your liability - hence if you use heating oil and don't pay HMRC then technically you might be breaking the law.