Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > Merlin Turbine Clinic
Reload this Page >

Setting ECU to 'learn'...

Notices
Merlin Turbine Clinic Support for Merlin Turbines is provided in this forum

Setting ECU to 'learn'...

Old 07-04-2007, 09:26 PM
Sparhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Setting ECU to 'learn'...

I have completed bench runs with no issues on my Merlin, when I was using my JR 9303. I have since moved over to Futaba and operate a 14MZ.

I have run through the new radio learn cycle, but it does not initiate the start sequence like the JR did that has an analog throttle trim. In the 14, I reversed the throttle channel and set a 'throttle cut' point because it has a digital throttle trim, but when I go to full throttle then down to idle to initiate a start nothing happens. On the ECU I see the throttle values and pulse width increasing as per the norm.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to make this work properly? Is it possible the throttle cut value (7%) is screwing it up and preventing a normal start?

Spar
Old 07-05-2007, 02:17 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Setting ECU to 'learn'...

Spar, go Inhibit the thottle cut; then go to "Function" in the 'Linkage' menu. Scroll to T3 (throttle trim) and push the rotary dial twice (the first push will take you to the trim page, and the second will take you to T3); scroll down to "STEP". The default value will be 4, turn the rotary dial to the right and increase the value to 200.

Now re-teach the ECU using your trim. You can use the "throttle cut" but you will have to play with the values once you get the turbine set-up properly. With the trim value set at 200, it is literally two clicks/beeps to cover the entire spread.

Try this first, to make sure it is programmed correctly, then we can try to set the throttle-cut values if you still want to use that.

George

Old 07-05-2007, 07:53 PM
Sparhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Setting ECU to 'learn'...

Thanks George. I will give that a try and see how it goes.
I was actually kind of thinking around those same lines at the field. Put the engine kill on one of the rotary dials as a push button.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Dan