Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > Merlin Turbine Clinic
Reload this Page >

Ceramic Plug settings for Merlin90 & 160

Notices
Merlin Turbine Clinic Support for Merlin Turbines is provided in this forum

Ceramic Plug settings for Merlin90 & 160

Old 06-27-2010, 07:48 AM
HenryRG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ceramic Plug settings for Merlin90 & 160

Does any one know what adjustments in the ECU (if any) are needed when you change over to the Ceramic Plug?

I have bought one for my M90 and one for my M160. It may be the settings are the same, but to be on the safe side I assume not.

The installation involves a gas bleed through the plug in addition to the normal gas pipe. Any advice or feed back would be appreciated.

O
Old 07-05-2010, 01:56 PM
HenryRG

Default RE: Ceramic Plug settings for Merlin90 & 160

Answering your own question must be very bad form.

However after waiting sometime without an answer and looking at another ECU on a different engine which was set up for a ceramic plug, I have concluded the ceramic plug operates around 6.5volts.

Thus if you have been operating a 1.5v plug ( in the 22-30) range or a 2v (in the 40-50) power range (depending on your ECU battery), you need to raise the setting considerably. Thus my prediction was (6.5/8.4) x255 = 197 on a 2 cell LiPo.

I found using a freshly charged 2 cell LiPo and an afternoon of trial and error that the gas would just ignite around 160 (after a couple seconds) and immediately on 180. I have settled on 170 as the coolest for reliable starts.

For those thinking of installing the ceramic plug on another engine with the Xicoy ECU, I am advised that ECU V5.3 or later is required. Apparently all Merlin 90s have this capability.

Although expensive, the ceramic plug claims greater reliability and seams particularly useful if your engine is buried in such a way that makes changing a plug really tedious. Anyway I will report how I get on.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:04 AM
HenryRG

Report on Use with M160 -Absolute Magic!

Tried out a new V6 ECU and ceramic plug on my M160 in my Lightning (Comp-ARF) yesterday.

I exchanged the new ECU and fitted the plug. My installation is unkind in that I have fitted the engine with the plug on the bottom. This was to save taking the engine out if your needed to change the plug. With an ordinary plug fuel residues can effectively drown it if you are not careful to switch off the fuel immediately after use. Refitted all the covers and took it down to my flying field. Fueled up and attempted a start with baited breath.

Result was absolute magic! The ECU checked the plug and lit! No adjustments, no nothing! It just went on start after start after start all afternoon and evening...

For those with inaccessible engines or for those with high thrust engines whose plugs seem decay quickly, I strongly recommend this update. It is good.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Tom Antlfinger
My Feedback: (24)

My experience with the ceramic plug on my 4 year old Rhino has been excellent as well.

I used to miss many propane light-offs and burn plugs regularly.

Now it lights off on the first or second click of the propane solenoid instantly. I have about 50 perfect starts to date.

I have my voltage setting at 220, close to what you find works on your Merlin.

I have also updated my Wren 160 Pro to ceramic plug with similar excellent results.

TA