RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Merlin Turbine Clinic (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/merlin-turbine-clinic-376/)
-   -   122NG blown turbing wheel (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/merlin-turbine-clinic-376/11701158-122ng-blown-turbing-wheel.html)

GREMOS 08-05-2022 01:34 AM

122NG blown turbing wheel

i am writting this post to share me servise experience witch i had with the factory after a serious damage in my engine.
long story short,the engine is a 122NG with almost 5 hours in the clock.everything was perfect until the turbine wheel missed half a wing.fortunately it was while taxing and no other damage accured.jetsmunt gave the worst ever service experience even though i am a returning customer with some other of their engines,(witch by the way are working so far so good) and planning to get a 250 around the end of the year or in the beggingn of the next.what jetsmunt told me after analysing my engine was that it was MY mistake going ful throtle.the manual clearly is talking about that,BUT in the case of a plane that weights 4 times (or more) the engine's thrust and a 3d aerobatik plane.neither of those are in my case.it is just a normal sport jet (TopRc oddysey)that weights 16.5kg at take off and goes lighter as it flys.they told me that i have to pay 350 euros +VAT+shipping (paying for shipping is ok with me) to be serviced,or change it to a 166NG (witch is way over the plane's manufacter manual.plane's manual is talking about a 100N-140N.
what are your comments about that??
p.s.unfortunately i cannot yet upload a photo.

3DJunk 08-05-2022 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by GREMOS (Post 12738466)
i am writting this post to share me servise experience witch i had with the factory after a serious damage in my engine.
long story short,the engine is a 122NG with almost 5 hours in the clock.everything was perfect until the turbine wheel missed half a wing.fortunately it was while taxing and no other damage accured.jetsmunt gave the worst ever service experience even though i am a returning customer with some other of their engines,(witch by the way are working so far so good) and planning to get a 250 around the end of the year or in the beggingn of the next.what jetsmunt told me after analysing my engine was that it was MY mistake going ful throtle.the manual clearly is talking about that,BUT in the case of a plane that weights 4 times (or more) the engine's thrust and a 3d aerobatik plane.neither of those are in my case.it is just a normal sport jet (TopRc oddysey)that weights 16.5kg at take off and goes lighter as it flys.they told me that i have to pay 350 euros +VAT+shipping (paying for shipping is ok with me) to be serviced,or change it to a 166NG (witch is way over the plane's manufacter manual.plane's manual is talking about a 100N-140N.
what are your comments about that??
p.s.unfortunately i cannot yet upload a photo.

Bad news for this turbine maker. :-(Get the 166 and ask for compensation for potential damages on the plane. The more you ask the more you get…

GREMOS 08-05-2022 07:46 AM

i only asked the engine to be repaired under warranty..they declined that.....saying that is my fault doing long ful runs.....i bought a 122N engine but i can use it like a 90N...does this even make sense????

Joe Bladwin 08-06-2022 11:21 AM

By following this kind of path you will not get anything. Cooldown and negotiate with the manufacturer and get the 166 they offer you, and enjoy our hobby. It was not very smart of you to fit a 12kg turbine on a plane that weighs 16.5kg, to be used it in the high ambient temperatures generally found in Greece. It's the same as installing a 500 hp ferrari engine in a 40 ton truck, yes sure it has similar or higher power than the original big diesel engine but it won't last long before it blows up. And no one will dispute the quality of Ferrari engines.

We all know that Chinese aircraft manufacturers always recommend much smaller engines for their planes than the minimum to fly decently, so if there are problems with the airframe integrity, they can always hide behind the fact that a more powerful engine than the recommended one has been installed.

joe

GREMOS 08-07-2022 10:23 AM

the 166 exceeds the manual.i may end in diferent kind of problems (small jet pipe etc etc etc)i dont mind that it happened...i can understand that.what i didnt liked at all is that was my fault.even if it is small for the plane (witch is NOT) and the problem happened cause of overheating what did the ECU did about that??suposly it has an overheating protection.in my opinion it has 2 explenations.
1) a small bouble while casting than eventualy failed
2) in order to get 120N of thrust with a wheel in the diameter of a 100N they had to run if higher RPMS and the wheel couldnt stand for that.this must me CLEARLY in the manual in order for the client to make his choise.
In my filed that are other 2 same planes that they fly with other turbine brands in the 120N power range flat out the entire flight and nothing has ever happened.

my engine had a litle less than 5 hours ion the clock.

in a friends turbine (swinwin 140) happened the same thing.the manufacter did the repair in warranty.that engine had 20 hours on the clock.

do i have to remind you the kingtech explosion in the rebel that they play also for the repair of the plane and not just the engine????

GREMOS 09-23-2022 10:10 AM

UPDATE: the manufacter ,in his favour, after all this finaly he refunded me the engine (ful amount besides taxes).i can't complain on that!!