Notices
Model Rockets & Rocketry Discuss all aspects of model rocketry here, including r/c rocketry.

Missles for helis and planes

Old 12-03-2010, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Missles for helis and planes

Hey everybody any ideas on amissiles like hellfire misslesforrc helis and airplanes( For helis lets go with a stable platform at either a 500 or 600 size and planes im notsure.)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40346.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	1529939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fl18776.gif
Views:	28
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	1529940  
Old 01-02-2011, 12:58 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Missles for helis and planes

I assume you want to fire them from your airframe while in flight. That is a big NONO with the AMA. Just a friendly FYI.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:52 PM

It's also a big no-no with NAR.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:57 AM

Oh dear, thank you for telling me, i must of missed that.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:07 AM

Not bad idea. Here in the uk its legal Might try it
Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 AM

If you do give it a try, post a video or something else.
Old 01-08-2011, 06:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Mr. N

If you do give it a try, post a video or something else.
Would you settle for just a bomb that drops??

The Hobbyking Quanum bomb is great value and works well.. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10624

I have one set up on a Parkzone Corsair.. The bomb falls very realistically from height also.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZxkVx6M27w[/youtube]

Old 01-09-2011, 02:06 PM

Whattype of plastic is that?
Old 01-22-2011, 01:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometime in the mid 1960s, the old American Modeler magazine had an article on doing that kind of thing, using skyrockets. Shortly after the publication, tha author apparently was involved in an incident at an airshow where some people got hurt because of the relative inability to be sure of what direction the rockets would go, or even when they'd be dependably fired. IIRC, tha's when the AMA came out with the restrictions.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:52 PM

I coulddefinitelysee that happening.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:03 PM
My Feedback: (2)

The statute of limitations surely must be up on this by now, so I guess I can share this with you guys. Don't try this at home, etc.

Back in the dawn of my RC "career", I installed a rocket launching system on my Ugly Stik. I was into model rocketry for years, so it seemed natural to combine the 2 hobbies, blissfully unaware that it violated the safety rules of both hobbies, as only a 15 year old can be. I soldered up a harness using a micro switch taped to a servo, and powered the igniter circuit with an old airborne pack battery. I ran the igniter wiring out through the wing, where the "hardpoint" was located. The hardpoint consisted of a wire coat hanger epoxied to a rib, sticking out the bottom. There was also a safety switch on the side of the fuse, so the rockets couldn't fire while "arming" them, and also to prevent them from firing if I accidentally hit the switch while carrying the model to the runway etc.

The initial testing was done at our secret proving grounds (which was an island in the great south bay, off Long Island). There was a huge mud flat that was the perfect flying field as long as it hadn't rained for a few days, plus the place was deserted.

My first rockets were made of motor diameter tubing, and were about 8" long. The first test was done statically, with the airplane sitting still on the ground. It worked great, so the next test was gonna be in flight! I loaded a C6-5 into one of the rockets, taped up the igniter, started the OS and took off. With the airplane going wide open downwind, I fired the rocket. All we could see was a puff of smoke, and the thing was GONE! I tried another one, with the same results. I finally, bent the hardpoint to be pointing about 45 degrees down, and we were able to find that rocket. I settled on larger rockets with smaller motors, (toilet paper tube diameter with A engines) and those were perfect. They flew a lot faster than the airplane, but not so fast that you couldn't see them. They also didn't go too far, so they could be reused.

After the initial tests, I decided it was time for the field debut. My friend and I used to ride our bikes to Cedar Creek Park from Massapequa, with our airplanes under our arms, and our field boxes mounted to our bikes. We pull up, with half a dozen rockets sticking out of my field box. There were about a dozen guys there, all of whom I knew. I put my plane together, and was in the midst of arming the rocket, when one of the field examiners (actually, the only one that was not well liked, particularly by me) came over and asked just what I thought I was doing. I told him, and he said "YOU CAN'T DO THAT! I misunderstood and said that it works great, not understanding that "can't" meant "not allowed". He threatened to have me drawn and quartered, as well as a field banishment if I ever even thought about something as reckless as that again, so, with my tail between my legs, I removed the rocket, and flew my plane.

After an hour or so, he left for the day, and about 6 guys came over and said "let's see that rocket go"! I couldn't resist showing off, even though every time I saw that particular examiner after that, I was nervous that he'd find out about my illegal activity. As far as I know, he never found out......
Old 01-28-2011, 08:04 PM

Haha, thats a good story. Lucky for me i dont have to deal with those type of people flying out in the farm fields
Old 03-27-2011, 06:45 PM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Tripower455

The statute of limitations surely must be up on this by now, so I guess I can share this with you guys. Don't try this at home, etc.

Too funny! I did the exact same thing. One launcher on each wing and it was an ugly stick as well! Small rockets with C6's, never to be seen again.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 AM
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: shaunrbell

ORIGINAL: Tripower455

Too funny! I did the exact same thing. One launcher on each wing and it was an ugly stick as well! Small rockets with C6's, never to be seen again.

LOL..... Great minds think alike.... Which is a little frightening!

The 1/2 sized "A" engines in a body the diameter of a toilet paper tube was perfect.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:52 PM
My Feedback: (109)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like great fun!!!!!!!!!Paint balls are fun too