Notices
Model Rockets & Rocketry Discuss all aspects of model rocketry here, including r/c rocketry.

Sheri's Saturn V.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:18 AM
Saturn V Guy

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a link of a fellow who at the time had set the world record for flying the largest model rocket. This was back in 2009. It makes mine look like an Estes toy.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:47 AM
bigbear440

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing is awesome. They must have used a tractor trailer to get everything there. Wow that is big. One thing I always thought is that these models were a two stage rocket. It was incredible how the booster stage came down and landed upright causing no damage at all to itself That was really impressive. Thank you for sending me that!
Old 10-13-2020, 01:15 PM
Saturn V Guy

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

To my knowledge, the models regardless of their size have all been single stage. They do not accurately depict the actual staging of the real Saturn V which possessed three stages. A whole different ball park as far as technology for the amatuer rocketeer. There is already in the works rocket motors that actually gimbal or pivot as the real F1 engines did. While you may not notice the engines move themselves during lift off, you can see the effects during initial launch where the rocket moves away from the tower at an angle to avoid a strike. There are videos showing ground tests of these F1 engines gimbaling inside the test stand.
I would start at 7:27 to watch the gimbal effect.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:09 AM
bigbear440

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are some powerful engines. I have seen the engines move a little. I wasn't sure if they actually pivoted for guidance or because of such a boost effect moving them. Now I know that they actually pivot on a gimbal for guidance which is a new thing I learned today. Thanks for the info. You are definitely amazing on your knowledge on the facts of the Saturn V Rocket. You have definitely done your homework on this subject.