Community
Search
Notices
Model Rockets & Rocketry Discuss all aspects of model rocketry here, including r/c rocketry.

Guidance systems

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 07:17 PM
BsSmith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guidance systems

Not as illegal as they seem. I have a basic stamp that needs a home. I was thinging of putting a sun seeker or a gyroscopic system in a high power rocket.

A few questions though...
1) R/C helecopters use gyroscopic systems, are any of these capable of going in a rocket for a high G flight?
2) Servos, I will be using servos in a 2 inch wide tube to spin small fins, the rocket will be capable of going mach, do I need heavy duty servos or are normal just fine?
3) Sun guidance- the tower hobbies Nextar has a sun tracking system in it right? Are there any others?
Old 03-09-2009, 03:11 PM
dbarrym
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Guidance systems

Both types of systems have been built and flown in HPR, do a Google search and/or on TRF forums to find some fairly detailed links showing a few sensor technologies and canard (steering fin) setups that have been tried, some using PIC processors, others have used simple closed feedback loop systems using R/C (heading lock) gyros and standard servos.

BTW - "Guidance" is the wrong term - "Stabilization system" would be more appropriate. Guidance to a specified target or location is illegal and will likely get you more official attention than you'll want.

Have fun, lots of challenges but nothing that can't be overcome with informed R&D and development. Don't be surprised at the effort required to design a fin-based steering system that survive going through the trans-sonic regime....it's also a lot harder to exceed and/or sustain Mach+ flight using off the shelf motors that can loft the airframe size required and launch weight of a stabilization system.

Let us know how it works out!

Barry
Old 09-07-2010, 10:29 PM
xiaoxin
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Guidance systems

Have fun, lots of challenges but nothing that can't be overcome with informed R&D and development. Don't be surprised at the effort required to design a fin-based steering system that survive going through the trans-sonic regime....it's also louis vuitton handbags a lot harder to exceed and/or sustain Mach+ flight using off the shelf motors that can loft the airframe size required and launch weight of a stabilization system.