Notices
Model Rockets & Rocketry Discuss all aspects of model rocketry here, including r/c rocketry.

Rules of Engagement

Old 06-22-2009, 05:41 PM
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rules of Engagement

Howdy -
Kind of interesting - after 28 years of ********, I now have a passion for rockets - Cool!Having just scratch built an 80"airplane, I thought I'd try my hand at rockets -made a 65" screamer from paper toweltubes reinforced with strapping tape, balsa fins and homemade engine mount- probably nothing short of a miracle.

Questions:
Altitiude:A fellow church goer flys for SW Airline - in sharingthe success of a recent outing, he told me that we'd need a permit for flights exceeding 500' - what are the rules and where are they printed? Our success measured - at least - 1500' or so.

Location:We had been using the playground of a local elementary school (off-hours), that is bordered by a hay field, and then a golf course. We can venture to the country, but convenience is, well, convenient.

Appreciate y'all weighing in, and happy motoring!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:04 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Rules of Engagement

Try the Tripoli Rocketry Assn website, they might have specifics. Any time you fly into controlled airspace, you must have a waiver from the FAA. This is so the FAA can put out a NOTAM (notice to airmen) of rocket flying activity in a particular area. This way, pilots can be on the lookout , but it does NOT absolve the rocketeers from responsibility. The last thing you do before the countdown is clear your airspace (look around for aircraft).

When you obtain a waiver, you request one for the highest altitude you anticipate flying to, and cannot launch anything you know will exceed the altitude you request. Some clubs will have a regular launch area, and work to get what is called a CFA permit (Controlled Firing Area), which is essentially a permanent waiver. CFA's will appear on aeronautical section maps. When a launch is planned for the area, the club notifies FAA and they put out a NOTAM for the dates.

If you fly the small A through D motors, you probably won't have to worry about a waiver. They usually won't exceed 1000 feet. Going to the E and up motors increases altitude rapidly, and begins to fall under "High Power" regulations. H motors and up require training and evaluations before you can launch them. Tripoli is the High Power association in the US, equivalent to AMA in its area of expertise.

Be careful, the bug may bite you, and if you thought R/C was expensive, just wait.

www.tripoli.org
Old 10-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rules of Engagement

Ilike this fourm..........................

Ares Galaxy Turbo Accelerator (AGTA) is an all-in-one light
application fully compatible with Ares Galaxy p2p program and
developed as an overall enhancer for all the options Ares Galaxy
offers, with a plus for bandwidth optimization.

Ares Galaxy Turbo Accelerator