Community
Search
Notices
MRC Charger Product Support (i.e. Super Brain, etc) Tim Sandor of MRC/Hirobo is your host. Ask all your MRC questions here!

Super Brain 977 HELP

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 08:17 PM
HeliG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Super Brain 977 HELP

Please, please help me. I purchased 2 Super Brain 977 chargers and 4 RC18Ts for Christmas. I also bought 4 Intellect 7.2V 1400mAh batteries. I read through the instruction manual for the charger but it wasn't too clear. Anyway, I set the charge rate at 1.2 amps. The voltage varied right around 7-8 volts. I figured that this would suffice since the Associated trickle chargers are 8 volts and 1.2 amps. As I cycled through the display, it was set for 30mV (I have no idea what that is so help here would be good). The batteries were charged (according to the Super Brain) in about an hour.

Well, I plugged the 4 batteries into the cars and one didn't work and the other 3 are twitchy. None of the cars have had a problem with the stock Associated batteries. I heard that the Intellect batteries were really good. I hope I didn't hear wrong. Can someone help me step by step on how to set the charger up to charge and do a good job? I would like info on overnight charges and on quick charges.

Also, should the batteries be charged/discharged (cycled, right?) a few times to get them up to proper operating condition?

Thanks so much for your help.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:17 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Default RE: Super Brain 977 HELP

Hi, and wecome to RCU.

I can try to help you out.

For the overnite charge a wall charger that doesn't turn off should be used because tjhe 977 is designed for quick charge. I think you actualy have it set right, 1.2 amps and 30 mv. An hour sounds like the correct amount of time. They should be quite warm when full charged.

Try them on the overnite charger first because they may not be wrking right. 4 bad ones is not good. Charge them twice as long as the original batts (if originals are 600-700 mah)
Old 12-28-2007, 09:24 PM
HeliG

I may have 1 that is bad but I'm not convinced of that since when I decided to discharge it, it has being doing so for a while (which tells me that it has some charge).
Old 12-28-2007, 10:55 PM
guver

It doesn't make a lot of sense. Maybe it is a car problem? @ good batts though? strange.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:55 PM
traxxaslova

ya i have the same problem i just bought a new super brain 977 and i pretty confused 2 i bought 8.4v 7 cell 4400 mah batteries from maxamps and i need to know how to setup the charger and what i should put the setting 2 because the batteries are brand new and i guess i need to "break them in".
Old 12-30-2007, 02:57 AM
guver

You can't go wrong by plugging it in and pushing start and make sure to allow it to trickle the set amount of time (I think it's 50 minutes) after it is full. The 977 wil not breakin really. You woud need a wal \l charger or one that doesn't shut off for that.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:26 PM
HeliG

Tim@MRC, are you out there? I would really like the input of the "pro".
Old 01-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Tim@MRC

ORIGINAL: fireman275

Please, please help me. I purchased 2 Super Brain 977 chargers and 4 RC18Ts for Christmas. I also bought 4 Intellect 7.2V 1400mAh batteries. I read through the instruction manual for the charger but it wasn't too clear. Anyway, I set the charge rate at 1.2 amps. The voltage varied right around 7-8 volts. I figured that this would suffice since the Associated trickle chargers are 8 volts and 1.2 amps. As I cycled through the display, it was set for 30mV (I have no idea what that is so help here would be good). The batteries were charged (according to the Super Brain) in about an hour.

Well, I plugged the 4 batteries into the cars and one didn't work and the other 3 are twitchy. None of the cars have had a problem with the stock Associated batteries. I heard that the Intellect batteries were really good. I hope I didn't hear wrong. Can someone help me step by step on how to set the charger up to charge and do a good job? I would like info on overnight charges and on quick charges.

Also, should the batteries be charged/discharged (cycled, right?) a few times to get them up to proper operating condition?

Thanks so much for your help.
I would charge each of those batteries at 1.4 amps and 30 mv. The 1.4 amps is considered a 1C charge rate, and is safe for an initial charge. After that you could safely charge them at 2.1 amps, which will cut your charge time down to about 40 minutes. If you have the time though, then 1.4 amps will be better for the battery. The "mv" setting is the peak threshold setting. 5mv per cell is good for NiMH batteries, and the 977 will default to this. So pretty much all you have to set is the charge rate in amps and the correct number cells.
When charging the batteries, at the end of the charge the batteries should be fairly warm, about 130 to 140 deg. So if the charger cuts off and you grab the battery and it's still about room temperature, then odds are that it's not charged. At this point start the charge again until it cuts off and the battery is warm. You can also keep a running total of the MAh going in, and this would be a good indication also. You may get false peaks on the first couple of charges, but after that it should charge in one shot. Let me know how it works out, and if you have any other questions.

Tim Sandor
Old 01-02-2008, 01:41 PM
Tim@MRC

ORIGINAL: traxxaslova

ya i have the same problem i just bought a new super brain 977 and i pretty confused 2 i bought 8.4v 7 cell 4400 mah batteries from maxamps and i need to know how to setup the charger and what i should put the setting 2 because the batteries are brand new and i guess i need to "break them in".
I would use a 1C charge rate, which would be 4.4 amps. Just enter in the charge rate and the correct number of cells and the charger will do the rest. The batteries may false peak a bunch of times on the first couple of charges, but keep initiating the charge until you feel the batteries get warm, then you know they're done. After the first full charge, then you can charge them at 5 amps. After the first couple of charges, the charger should charge them in one shot.

Tim Sandor