Community
Search
Notices
MRC Charger Product Support (i.e. Super Brain, etc) Tim Sandor of MRC/Hirobo is your host. Ask all your MRC questions here!

Can someone help me figure out my Super brain 960?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 08:55 AM
firstrc
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone help me figure out my Super brain 960?

I just got some new batteries ( Energ 4600 7 cell )
I keep hearing to slow charge them for the first couple charges.
Problem is.. I dont know how to set up my superbrain 960 to slow charge. [] I have always just used the plug and play method. (fully automatic)

Can someone tell me how to set this charger to give these batteries the best slow charge for the first couple times?

Greatly appreciated!!

Thank you!!!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Tim@MRC

Default RE: Can someone help me figure out my Super brain 960?

You can use the "Plug n Play" by just hitting the start button the first few times, just understand that it should take them over an hour and a half to fully charge it that way. If it shuts off and the battery is not warm, then it's not fully charged, hit the start button again. Keep doing that until the battery is warm, then it's done. After the first charge, then you can safely charge the battery at 4.5 amps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Tim Sandor
Old 03-18-2008, 09:53 AM
firstrc

okay thank you.

Please forgive my ignorance here.. I just dont know much about this stuff yet.

You said - "You can use the "Plug n Play" by just hitting the start button the first few times" - a couple questions:

Do you know what amperage it will charge them at?
What makes that different from any other time I would charge it? (in the past I always just hit start and left it alone)
I always assumed that just pressing start and walking away that it was doing the fastest charge possible. Is that not the case?

Thanks
Old 03-18-2008, 10:05 AM
Tim@MRC

No problem. The default setting on the 960 is 3 amps. So if you hook up a battery and just hit the start button, you're charging at 3 amps. If you hit the display button once, it will display the amps. You can then hit the adjust button to adjust up to 4.5 amps. The charger is capable of 0.5 amps up to 4.5 amps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:11 AM
firstrc

[X(][X(][X(]

You are very wise! lol

Hey thanks a lot! I never knew that!

So just to double check.. what amps should it be set on for the first few cahrges? Default 3 amps?

Thanks for all your help. It's greatly appreciated!
Old 03-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Tim@MRC

3 amps should be fine. You just want to make sure all of the cells are at a good voltage before you hit them with a lot of amperage. Also, you sort of have to build up the capacity, so the first charge may not reach full capacity. It may take 3-4 full charges before you reach full capacity with the battery. But you really only have to charge it slower on the first charge.

Tim
Old 03-18-2008, 11:06 AM
firstrc

Great!

Thank you.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:08 PM
Kbruno89

Hey Tim!
As you know, thes season is starting up so I went to go charge my batteries. Now, they are far from the best batteries but they do alittle. Now, I put them on my Superbrain 960 and they started charging regularly like always. However, now they only charge for 5 minutes until they say they are done charging! The batteries are getting charged at 2.5 amps and I do not know why the charger is saying they are done just after 5 minutes! (Normally about 45 minutes) - Is there any settings or a problem with the Superbrain? - I did this to two of my batteries and the same problem accorded to both of them! Any ideas? Should I up the amps?

Also, on a side note I just bought a new 3600 NIMH battery (5 cell) (6 volt) battery. Any suggestions at what to start the charge at? Please get back to me ASAP on these subjects!
Thanks again

Kevin