Community
Search
Notices
MRC Charger Product Support (i.e. Super Brain, etc) Tim Sandor of MRC/Hirobo is your host. Ask all your MRC questions here!

Power Supply question for 989

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 01:43 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power Supply question for 989

I purchased the 989 about 8 months ago and hadn't really gotten a chance to put the discharge or cycling features to the test until recently. As I was cycling and getting ready to put a storage charge on a 4s 3850mah TP Extreme v2 I noticed that the fan on the power supply not once cycled on. The fan in the 989 came on during both dishcharge cycles. I was discharging at 2A. That is when it dawned on me that the fan on my power supply has NEVER in fact come on.
Is this normal? I remember reading about some other posters having PS fan issues but never applied that to my situation and didn't follow up on it. I use this charger almost daily and would like to know if I am ok or if I am setting myself up for an issue. Some of my batterys are in need of putting a storage charge on them and i would like to cycle them prior to the discharge to storage voltage of 3.7V per cell.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 10-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Tim@MRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Power Supply question for 989

Sorry for the delay in my reply, I was away at a trade show all last week. The fan on the power supply won't kick on during a discharge. The charger isn't pulling enough power from it to require it. It should come on during a charge cycle though. You should notice it when you're pulling a lot of power from it. Has it come on at all during a charge that you noticed?

Tim Sandor
Old 10-22-2008, 11:48 AM
ArrowNaughtic

I have never seen the fan come on, however my largest battery is a 4S 3850mAh TP Extreme v2. I have a few Kong 2200mAh 3S's but they are already cycled and at storage charge. I only charge a 1C so am not sure if that would cause the PS to heat up enough. the fan has come on in the charger itself a few times but never on the PS. Is there some kind of procedure to try and force it to turn on?

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
Old 10-22-2008, 12:06 PM
Tim@MRC

Again, you may not be drawing enough from it, or it may not be getting hot enough. Do you notice if it's getting really warm?

Tim
Old 10-22-2008, 12:10 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Only once did I find it to be "warm" but still not too hot to touch. I use the "stone age" method of holding your hand palm down on a hot surface for at least 5 seconds before having to remove it is typically about 135*F. It has been close to that but my guess is it was still only about 120*F. Should I be worried? And TY for the lightning fast reply!

Old 10-22-2008, 12:29 PM
Tim@MRC

No problem. If you don't notice it getting terribly hot, then I really wouldn't worry about it for now. If there's ever a reason you won't be using the charger/power supply for any length of time, and you want to send it in to us for a check up, then that's fine.

Tim
Old 10-22-2008, 06:27 PM
ArrowNaughtic

Thanks Tim, I will continue to keep an eye on it and if anything gets too warm I will certainly send it in.