Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Multi Rotor Helicopters
Reload this Page >

New to Multirotors

Community
Search
Notices
Multi Rotor Helicopters Discuss Multi rotor RC Helicopter's here!

New to Multirotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 12:21 PM
fbords

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Multirotors

I haven't been able to find an exact answer to my question, so I thought I would post it here. I'm not new to the hobby, but new to Multirotors. I fly with a Spektrum DX7s radio so i prefer to leverage that. I've been looking at "some off the shelf" varieties rather than building my own out of the gate. for the price point, I'm interested in the DJI Phantom 2, and the Blade 350 QX. I like that the Blade model comes in a BNF version, but I'm not sure if that's enough to sway me. I've heard about random fly away issues with the Phantoms (not sure if it applies version 1, 2 or both), and prop breakage issues with the 350 QX. Both of these issues seem pretty serious and worry me. The whole reason I'm looking into a retail model is to establish a good baseline in the first place. I don't want to misconfigure something with a scratch build model and have to fight my own self inflicted problems too.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:22 AM
600Bob

I too am new to quads. The 350QX has new blades so broken props shouldn't be an issue. My problem with the quads you listed is the one piece frame, you break one arm and you need a new frame.

I decided to order a quad from this site, custom built and test flown. You have to wait a bit for it to be built though.

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/quads.html
Old 02-22-2014, 08:56 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

If I were just getting into quad I'd go the Blade route and get cnc prop adapters. Then get a set of 8X4.5 gemfan props and go fly the bejeesus out of it. I would say the Blade is probably the best flying right out of the box. With the DJI Phantom, you're good as long as you don't upgrade the firmware.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:34 AM
marktur

Take a look at HobbyKing.com - they have lots to choose from. I built an X525 for my first quad, and it was enjoyable and pretty easy - done in an evening, then the second day to add lights, setup, etc. $125 for everything but radio and receiver....there's lots of good deals like that. Unless you want "toys" or to spend lots of money for the "build", you should just build it and understand how it works. Tons of videos on YouTube as well, so pick something popular with lots of support and make it happen. Building an ARF airplane to me is more work...
Old 03-22-2014, 10:01 PM
cr2k

Had my Blade 350 QX since just before Christmas 2013. Simply love it. I have the B props and have had no problems. I even do a lot of stuff in Agility mode with no problem.I have heard of some B props breaking in hover. Mine must be good. I have been shooting and producing some GoPro videos. I have a Giant Scale Big Stick and finally forced myself to fly it today. Have been flying nothing but the 350 and a Nano I picked up last month. Started out in SAFE mode and dabbled in Stability mode, now (except for video flights) I fly in stability mode and kick it in to Agility mode a bunch. I have even "swarmed" 2 and am trying to get everyone on board for more. The Blade 350 QX lands closer to the mark in return home mode then the DJI does and has all the flight modes the Phantom is lacking. Lights are plenty bright for night flying. If you want to learn to get better without expensive crashes pick up a Blade MSR mini copter (not collective pitch) as it will teach you to fly with throttle and not collective pitch. Looking forward to the AP (aerial photography) mode up grade to get the altitude hold in stability mode. Did a paint job on mine like a WWII trainer and it looks awesome and is easier to see (everyone has a white one). I have "sold" about 4 people on them and my buddy who owns the local store is happy! PS the NANO is so much fun to fly!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	350qxNewPaintJob.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1980586  
Old 10-11-2014, 08:24 PM
opwan
My Feedback: (2)

Don't get the Phantom! It will fly away sooner or later! Align Corp are coming out with some sick looking quads this month, cheaper than DJI too! Look for the Align 480 and 690 to be leading the market soon! No I'm not a dealer.
Old 10-11-2014, 08:43 PM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

I have a Blade 350 (with ap mode firmware) and while I agree that it's probably one of the easiest to set up, it has some limitations. It's prone to losing GPS and although some have not had issues with the B props, others have, myself included. It's also not tunable so you get what you get. On the other hand, I have 2 DJI Naza Lite M quads that are much more capable and will do more things than the Blade. With the original Blade there is absolutely no way to control a gimbal other than dropping my DX8 back to DSM2 and adding an extra receiver. While this works, it's also pretty bizarre that something this expensive has to be jury rigged to tilt a gimbal.
Sometimes the Blade will RTH closer to home and sometimes the DJI will. Neither one is dead on when it comes to RTH. And opwan, I hate to disagree with your statement that Phantoms fly away "sooner or later" because not all do and with the vast majority it's usually owner caused, by not calibrating the compass correctly, doing a firmware upgrade wrong or simply waiting for the Phantom to acquire all the satellites before lift off.
Every quad with GPS can do this and the Blade is no exception. Although mine has yet to fly away there are many stories coming out about Blade 350 fly aways in GPS mode. I even had a friend lose a 200QX recently and I have to believe what he says. He said he was flying at night in calm air and for some odd reason it went dark and he heard the motors wind up and it disappeared into the dark. This is hard to comprehend since it doesn't even have gps.
There is no perfect machine.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:21 AM
opwan

I totally agree they're no perfect machines, there are a lot of documented cases of experienced pilots like me that have had flyaways, yes some are user error. When a company admits they have issues I don't think that could be called user error, so this is not true in all cases. Sure they're are people out there that chrashed and cried flyaway, but I truley witnessed one with mine. DJI offered me 20% off so they knew what the issue was!
Old 10-17-2014, 02:18 PM
flightadventures

Hey my friend has a Dji Phantom vision 2+ and it flies perfectly here is a short clip on how great it flies even up at 1000ft.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxa1...614lKJEYhPcT8Q
Old 11-07-2014, 05:28 AM
cameracamel

I am also new to quads, and r/c as a whole. I am still learning to fly with a Spektrum dx7s and my slow stick plane. I was comparing the Blade and the Phamtom... I ended up buying the dgi Flame Wheel 450. About the same size as the pre-builds, but MUCH more adaptable. I bought the whole kit with everything, except the receiver and battery, for $501. It is very easy to build. Very simple th solder the 4 sets of esc leads and battery leads. Everything else just plugs in to the main controller and gps unit... I like having the gps antenna ABOVE the bird, and being able to fly with different sized batterys. First I bought a Pulse 3s, 3700mAh battery.About 8 minute flight... Last week I bought a Venom 5000mAh battery. Got 15 minute flight, I am sure I can get longer flight, once I know what I am doing!!!!!Again, The Flame Wheel seems WAY more adaptable, even as far as gimbals, landing gear, etc. My 2 cents worth...
Old 11-07-2014, 09:13 AM
opwan

Got an Align 690 on the way, be here Monday! Gonna be flying. A Sony A6000 camera, will let you guys know how this one works out.