Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Multi Rotor Helicopters
Reload this Page >

How hard is it to scratch build quadcopters?

Community
Search
Notices
Multi Rotor Helicopters Discuss Multi rotor RC Helicopter's here!

How hard is it to scratch build quadcopters?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:05 PM
flyingjmerritt
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How hard is it to scratch build quadcopters?

i'm mainly a helicopter guy and have built helicopters and wrecked helicopters. but when it comes to quads i don't know where to start. helicopters i understand quadcopters no. was thinking something like dji f550 hexacopter. i know it needs 4 motors and esc's other than that i have no clue how to build one. not sure what i need far as gps system,camera system,gimbal system,radio system least the stuff that makes it all work??? i have looked online on quad copters but i don't understand it. can someone school me how these things work?
Old 11-14-2014, 11:50 AM
twobnvd
My Feedback: (1)

That makes two of us. I just bought an Arf 250 kit to start with so I am learning as I go as well. This is what I know, if picking all your components be careful.. You should build one from a successful build thread as a guideline then you can also talk to that person if you have questions through their thread. I've read story after story of people building stuff and end up. Using multiple sets of motors, props, flight controllers, ect then either not enough lift, motors either to big or to small which can also kills battery flight time. Bunch of horrors, I know when buying your flight controller that is going is where you need to know what options you want as most are dictated by that. For instance gps, gyro, altitude hold, wifi, and so on and so on. That's about as much as I can help, I've been reading as much as I can to try to make the best decisions as I didn't want to buy the normal cookie cutter phantom. Not knocking them they are quite nice but wanted to build something and learn instead of being a radio holder...
Old 11-14-2014, 04:07 PM
baldy

You might try looking at a website called SimpleCopter.com. He builds tri-copters and sells them also. They fly very well. He uses an inexpensive flight control board (KK2) from Hobby King. It does not have a gps on it, but does have self leveling. About 30 bucks for it.

Another site is flitetest.com and he scratch builds a quad copter. He also test some and flies them. Pretty interesting reading. I found some plans just by looking around for a tri-copter. One less motor and esc. The one I built, I used 1/4 inch birch plywood and 1/2" square poplar for the arms. Took about an hour to cut out and assemble. Be careful when hooking up the board as is very easy to get it wrong and cook the board.

The hardest part on the tri-copter was the yaw mechanism, but not all that hard to do. I know you were asking about a quad, but you could take the same principles and apply them to what you are looking for.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2014, 04:52 PM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

Personally if you want to learn how one is set up you can get a DJI F450 that's already built and ready to go.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-F450-Qua...item58b6e5612b
Since the frame is open you can fly it already and you will have a good idea how it's all put together for future builds. It's also made of high quality components.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-F450-Qua...item58b6e56112
Here are some that are actually cheaper, but the FC is the less capable KK board.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/F450-FlameWh...item2325658c72
Here's one you need to add radio gear to.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-F450-Qua...item2a45e96308

Last edited by randall1959; 11-14-2014 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 09:21 AM
randall1959
My Feedback: (11)

Here's a kit that has absolutely everything you need with the exception of a radio and camera gimbal.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dji-Flame-Wh...item2c841386bc
You will need at least an 8 channel radio to enable all the Naza M Lite features to be enabled.