Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Multi Rotor Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Xaircraft Mini X flight controller

Notices
Multi Rotor Helicopters Discuss Multi rotor RC Helicopter's here!

Xaircraft Mini X flight controller

Old 01-23-2015, 04:03 AM
  #1  
Rob2160
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Rob2160's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,786
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Xaircraft Mini X flight controller

I recently bought the Mini X flight controller to compare it against the Naza M Lites that I have been using on my Multicopter Builds.

After testing it for a few days, In my opinion the Mini X is superior to the Naza Lite in the following areas:

1. GPS Position Holding
2. Altitude holding
3. Manual mode flying.
4. Compactness (2 components instead of 4 to achieve the same result)
5. GPS Acquisition time is faster.
6. No warm up time required (The NAZA M Lite requires up to 5 minutes warm up before it stops drifting)
7. $129 USD vs $170+ for the Naza Lite
8. Return home mode - you can configure the return altitude.
9. Octocopter support (Naza Lite only does Hexacopters)
10. Ease of set up - calibrations are done via the TX
11. When doing 360 degree yaw in GPS mode the Mini X stays within 1 meter. My Naza Lites drift much more than this.
12. Flight logging - with the ability to review logs online - Like this.

Overall an excellent flight controller for the price. I do not work for Xaircraft, I bought this unit from Buddy RC.

Some videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngX35knfNEg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-z6HtD3BCU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MnjtRb3CQI Manual Mode flight performance is flawless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cPOezsFr-Y

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-23-2015 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:15 AM
  #2  
randall1959
Senior Member
My Feedback: (11)
 
randall1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: saint joseph, MO
Posts: 1,253
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

How can you buy it when the ad on their site says "preorder for free osd"?
http://www.buddyrc.com/x-aircraft-mi...-free-osd.html
The only place I can even find one I can buy today is on Ebay and it's 100 dollars more.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HOT-XAir...item2a49038c91
So where's the link to the one you bought? While I agree it has several advantages over the Naza M Lite, apparently, I can't find an ad that has a price comparable to yours or one that I can even buy from Buddy RC
I wouldn't mind trying one myself. The idea of being able to use slower (333mhz) esc's plus the simpler setup are a couple of things I can see it having a big advantage over the NML.

Last edited by randall1959; 01-23-2015 at 04:21 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:29 AM
  #3  
Rob2160
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Rob2160's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,786
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by randall1959
How can you buy it when the ad on their site says "preorder for free osd"?
http://www.buddyrc.com/x-aircraft-mi...-free-osd.html
The only place I can even find one I can buy today is on Ebay and it's 100 dollars more.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HOT-XAir...item2a49038c91
So where's the link to the one you bought? While I agree it has several advantages over the Naza M Lite, apparently, I can't find an ad that has a price comparable to yours or one that I can even buy from Buddy RC
I wouldn't mind trying one myself. The idea of being able to use slower (333mhz) esc's plus the simpler setup are a couple of things I can see it having a big advantage over the NML.
I am sure if you try one you will agree with my findings.

Here is the link to the one I bought. As you can see it is $129.95

http://www.buddyrc.com/x-aircraft-mi...-free-osd.html

I pre ordered weeks ago and the first batch was shipped on the 8th Jan.

Feel free to follow this link which is the tracking and shows it was delivered to me on the 19th Jan.

https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfi...=LZ602772445US

From Buddy RC's website...

Our first batch of MiniX ordered in September 2014 was partially delivered to us on Jan 8, 2015, and we immediately shipped the product to our preorder customers on the same day. We here thank you for your patience, trust, and support. Presently the first shipment has sold out, and the other half batch will be delivered to us sometime around mid to late February. Now we can accept preorder with will call. Please contact our customer service team for details. Thank you!


Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Minix.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	2066860  

Last edited by Rob2160; 01-23-2015 at 05:03 AM.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:18 PM
  #4  
randall1959
Senior Member
My Feedback: (11)
 
randall1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: saint joseph, MO
Posts: 1,253
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I might have to try one. The osd would be great on my Deadcat. Sorry for getting the impression you were somehow connected to X Aircraft. There are quite a few posers hitting the forums lately. Seems every day someone is coming out with the next best thing in MR's

Last edited by randall1959; 01-23-2015 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:09 PM
  #5  
Rob2160
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Rob2160's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,786
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by randall1959
I might have to try one. The osd would be great on my Deadcat. Sorry for getting the impression you were somehow connected to X Aircraft. There are quite a few posers hitting the forums lately. Seems every day someone is coming out with the next best thing in MR's
No worries at all. I get a little enthusiastic when discussing new products I like... All good.

Haven't tried the OSD yet but liking the controller more every time I fly it.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:15 AM
  #6  
randall1959
Senior Member
My Feedback: (11)
 
randall1959's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: saint joseph, MO
Posts: 1,253
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I was checking your video with the FC hooked up to your laptop and I do like the way that works over the Naza. Much less to it from the looks of it. I also like the option of having it come in head or tail first. I've always liked RTH to point the nose toward me so I can see what's in the landing zone. I have a Blade 350QX and if you want it to come in nose first, you have to stop, turn, and then hit RTH. The Naza M Lite always points toward home. I also like the option of setting the height on the return. I just might have to preorder one of these.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:34 PM
  #7  
Rob2160
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Rob2160's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,786
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by randall1959
I was checking your video with the FC hooked up to your laptop and I do like the way that works over the Naza. Much less to it from the looks of it. I also like the option of having it come in head or tail first. I've always liked RTH to point the nose toward me so I can see what's in the landing zone. I have a Blade 350QX and if you want it to come in nose first, you have to stop, turn, and then hit RTH. The Naza M Lite always points toward home. I also like the option of setting the height on the return. I just might have to preorder one of these.
It is very easy to set up, the main calibrations are done with the TX (setting neutral and setting reverse directions) and I agree, the RTH options are great. I tried a few variations on the Gains but it seemed best leaving everything at default.
Old 04-21-2015, 10:38 PM
  #8  
Rob2160
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Rob2160's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Sydney, AUSTRALIA
Posts: 4,786
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

A follow up.

Due to work commitments I didn't fly this for over two months but have been testing it further in recent weeks.

While initial impressions were good, further exploration of the flght envelope has revealed serious limitations that can result in your multicopter flipping unexpectedly.

This problem occurs if you have a high power to weight ratio and is worse in windy conditions.

I was repeatedly able to make this controller flip in GPS mode as per the following videos.

I discovered also using smaller props (higher disc loading) could prevent the flips.

The quad here flies perfectly in any configuration with other flight controllers such as the Naza Light, KK and Naze Acro.

X Aircraft acknowledges the issue and will be hopefully addressing it in a firmware update.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbf8zSCx_XM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL3jzx8F5H4

Last edited by Rob2160; 04-21-2015 at 10:43 PM.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.