Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

What planes are you stuffing the canister into

Old 02-27-2006, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What planes are you stuffing the canister into

I have been looking at 33% planes in order to be able to use the canister with the 58cc motor.
So far the planes that I think will work and stay with in a decent weight range are the following:

WH Extra 260
WH Giles 202
AM YAK-54
H9 Edge 540
AW 75cc YAK-54

Has any body used the can in any planes that are available here in the US?
If so would you please share your thoughts and experiance?

I am finding that the MVVS canister is too large for the 50cc planes and in order to use it, the canister will have to be mounted to the bottom of the planes. MVVS must have had some planes in mind when they deigned the canister. What planes are the MVVS engineers flying the 58 and canister?
Old 02-27-2006, 02:24 PM

Default RE: What planes are you stuffing the canister into

Hi Barry,

There are many ARFs sold in Europe that are not readily available in North America, many of these airplanes are developed with canisters in mind. In Europe they are way ahead of us in terms of noise control. Most of the 50cc ARFs are a squeeze to get a big canister in, if it can be done at all. Some of the newer ones have provisions, BME 30% airplanes all have canister tunnels now, the new Aerotech Yak has a tunnel too, I'm sure there are more either on the market now or coming soon. A properly sized/tuned canister allows an engine to make excellent power at a reasonable noise level.
Old 02-27-2006, 04:07 PM

It will fit in the 50cc Aero Works yak. I think the engine will be too small for the other planes. Have you also considered using a different can? check out the ones at www.troybuiltmodels.com
Old 02-28-2006, 12:02 PM

The problem I am finding is that most manufacturers are offering pipe tunnels that are designed for long narrow pipes like the old Mac's tuned pipes and not for 3" canisters like the MVVS #3204 that is recomended for peak power on the 58.

David do you know of any tuned pipes that work equally well on the 58 as the canister? I was thinking that mabey an already existing pipe for say a 3W-60 through 3W-75 might work with the 58 or even one for ZDZ 60 or 80. I already have the #3204 canister and header so I am looking for a plane that I could use it in. I think the new AW 75cc YAK-54 will have a big enough pipe tunnel and with 1600 sq" and 20-22lbs this would be a great flying plane. I want to power a 33% size plane with this motor and turn a 26X10 prop to prove that it can be done or disprove it, we will see.
Old 02-28-2006, 12:28 PM

With the MVVS can, the 58 will spin a 26x10 Mezjlik at or slighly above 6K. Adequate power for a 35% airplane as demonstrated in the video on my site. For the AW Yak, it should me a great combo. I have not first hand experience with the 58 ona tuned pipe. KS makes tuned pipes for engines of this size that are smaller in diameter than the MVVS can. I'm sure someone across the pond has done it!
Old 02-28-2006, 12:56 PM

David

What props are your favorites with the 58 on a pitts muffler. I have been using a Bolly 24x10 wood prop that spools up pretty quick to 6,000 rpm static. I was thinking about going to a 24x8 for even quicker spool up and for 3-D. Although I can do KE loops at just above half throttle on an 18 lb BME YAK. I am still getting the motor dialed in as you can tell by my posts but pull out from a hover hasnt been as strong as I thought it would be, thats why I was thinking a 24x8 might be better.

Also I am pretty commited to stuffing the #3204 into something, thats my challenge right now. I cant believe that nobody has this set-up allready. All of the videos in the US are of planes using in-cowl mufflers, the MVVS video is the only plane I have seen or heard of using the #3204 canister.

Do you know what size prop Kevin was using on his Edge?

Also, dont get me wrong I think the motor is capable of some big things, I just want to prove it. I would be totally stoked to be able to hover a 33% at my field with a 58cc motor, but if I cant pull it out of the hover it wouldnt mean anything, the guys would give me such a bad time and say that I should have put a DA-100 in it.