Community
Search
Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

MVVS .26 Glow choice

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 11:13 AM
BreizStone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MVVS .26 Glow choice

Hello,

I got a Bullit Wing with a MVVS .26 and short tuned pipe.

It's a nice setup to explore speed but I have to change the Glow every two or three flights (OS 8). I use low nitro fuel (less than 10%) and have no problem to get the right RPM from the tuned engine.

Is there a better glow choice (reliability and longevity).

Thanks for your help,

Marc.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:23 PM
DarZeelon

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: MVVS .26 Glow choice

Please disregard this post! It was written in error, as if the engine in question is the 26 cc #3094.

ORIGINAL: BreizStone

Hello,

...a MVVS .26 and short tuned pipe.
Hi Marc,

The only tuned pipe I know MVVS makes for this engine is the #3266, which is a long tuned pipe.
What pipe do you have?

It's a nice setup to explore speed but I have to change the Glow every two or three flights (OS 8). I use low nitro fuel (less than 10%) and have no problem to get the right RPM from the tuned engine.

Is there a better glow choice (reliability and longevity).
Yes.

This is a larger glow engine.
It will run better and last much longer, if you change to a cold glow plug.

The OS #8 is medium. OS have their own A5, or you can use a Rossi R5, an Enya #5, or #6, for example.

Please disregard this post! It was written in error, as if the engine in question is the 26 cc #3094.
Old 09-10-2006, 02:27 PM
pe reivers

I think Dar has the 26cc in mind, hence the 3266 tuned pipe.
For the .26, and 3243 tuned muffler, I find the original Novarossi C5 or C6 plugs an excellent choice. OS#8 is too hot
You did not state which fuel and prop you use. If it has too much nitro, that will cause the plugs to blow regardless of heat range. These engines are very powerfull on just 1 or 2% nitro, with 5% max.
Old 09-10-2006, 10:10 PM
DarZeelon

Right you are, Pe...

I somehow did not see the dot before the 26...

I will make sure it is disregarded.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:42 AM
BreizStone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Thanks for your help.

Fuel is personal Club blend. Nitro is usually 5% with 12% oil (10% synth Labema Evo1-2%castor), 1% Emadox M.
Next batch will be 5% nitro, 14% Synth Labema Evo4, 1% Emadox M.

Propeller is a Master scimitar 8*6.

Will try to find these novarossi glow plugs.

Marc.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:02 AM
DarZeelon

ORIGINAL: BreizStone

Fuel is personal Club blend. Nitro is usually 5% with 12% oil (10% synth Labema Evo1-2%castor), 1% Emadox M.
Next batch will be 5% nitro, 14% Synth Labema Evo4, 1% Emadox M.

Propeller is a Master Airscrew Scimitar 8*6.

Will try to find these Novarossi glow plugs.

Marc.
Marc,

MVVS specify fuel comprised of 20% castor oil and 80% methanol.
My experience shows that anything less than 20% total oil, of which at least half is castor oil, will make your engine run like a rabid dog... I am sure Pe will agree here that you should keep away from those strange 'concoctions' you listed above...

using 5% nitromethane, replacing part of the methanol.

So make new fuel; 12% castor oil, 8% EDL/Aerosynth/Motul Micro...(synthetic oil), 5% nitro and 75% methanol.
It will take full effect after the second tank of fuel and will be very inconsistent on the first tank.

Use the fuel that you have in your other engines and keep it away from MVVS as besides the bad behavior, it will void your warranty.

The glow-plug your engine came with is a Novarossi C-5S. You can get new ones at Top Model, or you can use an Enya #4, a Rossi R4, or a K&B-1L plug also.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:46 AM
pe reivers

A word of warning about oils. With the wrong oil, the engine will refuse to run well, regardless of carb tune.
I have experimented with several synthetic oils, pure, and their mixed with castor. (Fuchs aerosynth, Fuchs Titan, Klotz). They started out fine with increased rpm, but then with each additional tank degraded performance to the point that the engine would either black out, or just refused to run at full power. Inspection of the engines revealed no telltale signs why the engine would not run properly. All rubbing surfaces were clean and in excellent condition. Compression excellent. (I rock the piston over top dead centre. If it looses pressure in less than 20 TDC passes, compression retention is low)
Returning to 20% castor in all cases restored full power during the first tankful.
I then worked with a guy who did tractor pulling. He used Tornado car fuel with only 10% oil of unknown mix with great success in his pylon engines with quickie cylinder sets.
I then tried this fuel for planes, (with 15% oil and 1% nitro), and added 5% castor. This fuel runs just as great as pure castor in all my small fry.
This goes to show, that not all synthetic oils will be refused by the MVVS engines. Just some, and it shows by degrading power while compression is still excellent.