Notices
MVVS Support Get support from 3 qualified MVVS Forum Hosts. Dar Zeelon, representative from Israel. David Moen, representative from Canada. Pe Reivers, representative from Netherlands.

FREE TO GOOD HOME Evolution 26gt acting weird, please help!

Old 10-05-2006, 12:22 AM
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FREE TO GOOD HOME Evolution 26gt acting weird, please help!

[email protected] I have a evo26gt, after many attempts at making it run, I am near giving up....part of my problem may be self inflicted, however not sure. Any help is greatly appreciated!
For starters, the plug wire is excessively LONG and the magnet wire is excessively SHORT for my application. I am unable to mount the ignition outside of the fuse....the specific problem that I am having is as follows...Attempting to start with an electric starter, motor primes fine, plenty of fuel is present. Plug gap and magnet spacing is as instructed. As the motor is pun over with the starter, it will spin for 3-5 seconds hit and then spin 3-10 seconds hit again etc....I can only seem to get it to start (sometimes) with full trim. Needles are at 2 turns out. When it does start, it surges until I bring more throttle into it, and then it will smooth out and I can slowly bring the throttle and trim down to a fast idle. Had about a 5 minute run at the longest so far with it, response was good and snappy with no lean or rich indications. If I drop a click or two below half trim it is highly unreliable...almost acts as though spark is coming and going and will inadvertently die all of a sudden. I don't seem to notice any ill running at upper throttle range like I am experiencing at a fast idle.
Back to the overly long and short wires noted above....possibly like the idiot that I can be at times, I bit the bullet and decided that it would be OK to lengthen the magnet wire to suit my needs...So I cut it and made my splices (added about 3!QUOT!). The two wires that go to the magnet were shielded wire. I made my best shade tree mechanic effort to re-shield the wires and insulated the splices as best as I saw fit....Does my problem sound like a ignition issue to anyone...or did I sh@* my own bed and now have to sleep in it by adding the length to the magnet wires? All instructions were adhered to in regards to separation from radio components and all...Also I noticed some other posts about 4.8v battery not being enough...instructions state not to use a 6v battery....which one do I truly need to use...curious if I just need a hotter spark???? First gas plane...sorry about being so wordy, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible to be able to receive the best help possible. Thanks for everyones time and responses in advance!
Craig Davidson
515-202-2260
[email protected]
Old 10-05-2006, 02:30 AM

Default RE: FREE TO GOOD HOME Evolution 26gt acting weird, please help!

rebuilt all my splices, some of them seemed a little shotty.....got good spark still...engine only hits once every 5-10 seconds at best when turned with a starter.... FRUSTRATED[:@]
Old 10-05-2006, 09:01 AM

also, motor is mounted inverted and plug is wet after a turning over episode.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:12 AM
My Feedback: (27)

First thing, replace the entire wire , splices don't really cut it in my view. Vibration and possibly long term problems like corrosion will cause problems at some point and may be the problem now? Use what is recommended by the mfg.
Your problem sounds much like a tuning problem with the carb but you should eliminate the wire thing first to avoid combining problems.
Old 10-05-2006, 10:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your idle needle is way too rich, so when you use a starter (shudder) to spin the engine, it immediately drowns in fuel. Set the idle needle at 1-1/4 turn open for starters. Adjust from there.
Leave that starter home. Do a few flips or ccw-cw bumps with choke on until the engine hisses to indicate fuel presence. Ignition on, and a few flips should start the engine. When it dies again (it will), open the choke, and about 6 flips will set it going.

Edit:
Your splices, if done properly, should not hurt the ignition. Just check the voltage. The new ignitions do not like worn down batteries. The 6V systems are happy with quality LiPo 2S, and the 9V systems need 3S (or equivalent NiMH number of cells).
These ignitions will not run at 6V or 9V!, so be warned. The Voltage is a nominal value to indicate the ignition type.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:04 AM
My Feedback: (13)

craigmel

You should be on the MVVS factory thread for these questions some good and guys there. Ok, I have the Elvo 26, same as MVVS. Yes, ended up with the ignition module inside my Yak 54, hidden and tough to get in to, the leads are just as you say, too long and too short for normal applications. The new ignition systems, two or three different types, each require various battery volts. Look on the back of the black module and it will give the required power. If its a "Pro-something", you need 9 to 13 volts and can use a li-po 3 cell around 2100 mah for your battery. My ignition seems not to like my li-po arrangement as it is a older 10C battery which does not hold a charge very well. As soon as the voltage drops, the engine goes off song. To this point, about 1 hour of run time, the engine is great, a little under powered for the QQ Yak 54 at 12 lbs, but will still 3 d, you just cant blast out of trouble as you could with a larger motor. The secret is to fly like QQ and not get into trouble. Very hard for a real old guy like me! The 73" QQ Yak is a great flyer and will stay in the air under some wierd circumstances that would bite you with another airframe. Anyway, check your required voltage and go from there. If all else fails, sent it back to the shop and they will sort it out for you. Better to loose a little time there than building a new plane. My engilne seems to like the APC 18 X 6W best, try it. ENJOY
Old 10-06-2006, 09:14 AM

Hmmmm...
this is the MVVS support I thought [&:]
Evolution gasser users are welcome of course.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:13 PM

correct me if I am wrong....Evolution engines ARE produced by MVVS aren't they????
Old 10-06-2006, 03:48 PM

You should be on the MVVS factory thread for these questions
This is the MVVS support section, by MVVS dealers worldwide. (I am from Holland, Dar is from Israel, David is from Canada)
Yes, evolution gas engines are produced by MVVS. There may be slight differences though, so it is wise to state carb type and ignition type details when asking questions, so we can readjust, not having these engines at our disposal.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:55 PM

thanks for your responses!..Sent motor and ignition back to Horizon Hobby....It was a 26gt, I must have got old stock from them, I say this cause they have a 26gt2 better ignition, runs on 7.2 volts and has some other nice features the 26gt doesn't...there was word that the original 26gt had some faulty ignitions floating around out there....In my previous post I mentioned that I was using an electric starter...I figured something was wrong when I couldn't flip start it! Followed your input on 1 1/4 turns on low side, but to no avail....still will not hit unless you spin for 10-15sec with starter and then it only hits every 5 sec. or so...will not stay running though....hopefully the new revised ignition is better to me!

Regards
Craig